Clear vs Tortoise pickguard

Started by SteveD216, September 26, 2006, 02:34:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I have a Larrivee D-10 with a clear pickguard. I am considering replacing it with a Larrivee custom beveled tortoise pickguard. I have read recently on some other acoustic guitar forums that people have removed tortoise pickguards to improve sound quality. Any opinions out there on this. Is it a mistake to replace the clear pickguard?

I am not sure that the addition or removal of a pickguard is going to make a huge difference in the tone of your guitar.  I am no great expert but it seems unlikely to me.  Anyway the rest of it is a matter of taste.  I personally don't really like the looks of the clear pickgurads...I removed the one that was on my parlor and think it looks a lot better.  I have left the Tortis one on my OM because I thinkit looks great...I'm a fingerpicker so I don't technically need one I just like the looks....I think Tortis on a Hog top looks fantastic.  I have been contemplating getting a tortis guard for my parlor to.....but haven't pulled the trigger yet....I just can't decide if I want to try to buff out the satin finish first or not.... :?

:cheers

Blue
OM-05MT "Mary Helen"
Silvercreek T-170
Harmony Herd (1203, 162, 165, 6362)

I've seen this discussed a great deal.  The general consensus from the people that I feel really know what they are talking about is that the pickguard will not make a change in tone that is detectable by our ears.  I'm can't imagine that you would notice any difference going from clear to tortis.  It boils down to which one you would like the look of.  It is safe to say that you could buy it, set it on your D-10 to see how it looks and if you didn't like it could easily sell it on the forum. 

I used to prefer the clear guards on all Larrivee's.  Now that I own 2 (a parlor and a OM-50) with the tortis guard and wouldn't have it any other way.  However, I still think the Ls look best with the clear. 

-josh

Larrivee P-03MT
Martin 00
Epiphone Bluesmaster

I've replaced the clear guards on at least 4-5  03 models, there was no change in the sound at all.  Well, actually, there was a slight change...the swishing sound of fingers on a satin guard disappeared  :bgrin:, one of my biggest reasons for losing the stock guard (not an issue with gloss Larrivees).   Not sure what you mean by beveled, I didn't see any distinct beveling on my Larrivee guards.  OTOH, the Greven guards have a noticeable bevel on the edges, but they are also probably 3-4x thicker than the Larry guards.

The Larrivee guards are nice, but pricey at $30 or so.  I also got good results using Martin pickguards at only $7.50 a pop.  Below is Martin guard on D-02.

D-02E

I replaced the clear pickguard on my OM 03v with the Larrivee tort pickguard without any problems and without any change in sound.  I purchased my pickguard directly from the Larrivee Vancouver shop which gave me an excuse to visit and have a tour. 

Really, this issue has been discussed for decades.  The answer is that most modern guitars have a pickguard.  What's left to say?

Quote from: davidsowk on September 27, 2006, 12:54:58 PM
I purchased my pickguard directly from the Larrivee Vancouver shop which gave me an excuse to visit and have a tour. 

How much did you get the pickguard for??

Where's the best place to purchase a tortoise pick guard?
Ruben

I just special ordered a L-09 and specified NO PICKGUARD.  I think they look MUCH better with out.  It tends to give the top a "crowded" look.
JMHO.  However, I think they look good on the D series.