customizing or personalizing our guitars

Started by Dream_0n, October 21, 2006, 11:19:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hello everyone , I'm new to the forum and was wondering what some of you have done to upgrade or customize your guitars . I bought a used D-02 and because they are trimmed out in black body and neck bindings as well as the standard ebony headstock face , I decided to take that look farther and I had a black buffalo horn saddle and nut installed on it with matching black buffalo horn bridge pins . I then replaced the clear pick guard with a black Martin one and added ebony tuner ends . The guitar sounds great , but it now has a pretty distinct look as well .  Would like to hear a few other customizing stories .

customized or stock , Larrivees just have it  :thumb

I started out with some blue neon trim on the binding. Added some spinners on the tuning machines so them b&*ches keep turning even when I'm not tuning. Remote keyless entry on the hardshell Calton case. Gold strings. Fossilized woolly mammoth nut, saddle AND endpins. And to really bring it together I've tucked a PS2 with a 14" screen in the soundhole.

Yeah!

<all in good fun> :humour:

You, too? I thought I had a one of a kind here! Back to the workshop. :niceguitar: :humour:
Chuck S. Mi.

I also had a D-02, they look very plain & simple when stock.  I added a Martin tort guard and Tusq pins.   A set of Gotoh gold tuners really dressed it up in a classy way.  I even had a full size Pearce armrest on there for awhile, usually they don't do much for me on a dread, but it really helped alot on the D-02, the sound was just huge, really helped out in the fingepicking dept.
D-02E

Could just be me, but the austerity of the d02 and d03 is what makes 'em so damn beautiful. :thumb

shout 'Freebird' one more time. see what happens.

To each his own. I can never understand why some take a classic car and try to make it look so "cool" that you forget what the stock version ever looked like. Much worse is the dweeb who takes his '98 4-door Saturn and tries to make it look "really cool".

I think the only dress-up I ever did was to put gold buttons and a "turtle" pick guard on my first Martin D-35 back in the 80's. I did think it looked better at the time, but then I traded it in on the 30th anniversary D-35 in 1995. That one I've only changed the strings.
:thumb
Chuck S. Mi.

ive decked my larrivee out with misc dings, dents and chunks of wood missing.  thats about as fancy as i get.

:beer

I also really enjoy the simplicity of my LV-03E; the only thing I've done to customize it is add a professional-looking custom label to the inside that has a very "factory" look that states that I own it... why? I'm not sure..... but it looks good.
- SL
  Proud LV-03E owner since 2004

Quote from: the_sound_of_acoustic_soul on October 30, 2006, 08:29:25 PM
ive decked my larrivee out with misc dings, dents and chunks of wood missing.  thats about as fancy as i get.

:beer

Ha, ain't that the truth. Every ding and chunk tells a story. My Larrivee proudly wears many of these, and is regularly doused in sweat, and sometimes Jagermeister.

shout 'Freebird' one more time. see what happens.

Lewivee: Cool idea about the sticker. Did you make it yourself? :?
Chuck S. Mi.