Elixir custom light stings (.11) anyone on a Larrivee?

Started by sixstrings, October 21, 2006, 01:36:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hi guys,

I just got first Larrivee(OM-50). I like the bright and clear tone of the mahogany, but was wondering how it would sound if it put .11 stings(it has .12 D'arrio PB). 

anyone tried or using Elixir .11 on their larrivee?  and how you guys liking it?

Thanks,

i only play 12s on my larrivee but have 11s on my other acoustics.  i think you loose some of the volume and tone but if you are having trouble playing your guitar i would recommend lighter strings to encourage you to play more.  i would just say to try them out and if you dont like them switch back to 12s
noah

Sixstrings,

I have had custom light PBs on my OM for the last few months and really love the tone...plus they lasted 3 months!!!  I recently changed to some mediums but the guitar lost it sparkle and I will be changing to some lights tonight...the meds will go on my parlor.  You may be asking "why not use custom lights again if you liked them so much?"  I personlly found that the really high E and B strings actually sliced into my calluses too much...so I'm gonna try straight lights and see if I can get the tone of the custom lights with out the pain...

BTW if you would like to trade a pair of Elixir nano PB lights for a spare set of custom lights let me know and we can swap!

:cheers

Blue
OM-05MT "Mary Helen"
Silvercreek T-170
Harmony Herd (1203, 162, 165, 6362)

Quoteanyone tried or using Elixir .11 on their larrivee?  and how you guys liking it?

Exclusvely 80/20 bronze custom light nano's on all my six-strings:  Martin 000-15S, Larrivee OM-03R, Taylor K12C.  And if they made a 12-string set I'd use 'em on the OM-03R twelves too.

I find they're a good compromise between the tone I like, a tad more projection than 10's and a little easier playability than lights & mediums for these old fingers.
Larrivee OM-03R-12 string + IMix external
Martin 000-15S + IMix internal
Martin OM-16GTE + Fishman Matrix
Gretch 5120
Fender Squires - Tele & Strat

whiskeyjack:  Perisoreus canadensis.  aka, gray jay, whiskey jay, whiskeyjack or timber jay.   A small, friendly bird of the northern coniferous forest.

Quote from: mekobebe on October 21, 2006, 01:40:28 AM
i only play 12s on my larrivee but have 11s on my other acoustics.  i think you loose some of the volume and tone but if you are having trouble playing your guitar i would recommend lighter strings to encourage you to play more.  i would just say to try them out and if you dont like them switch back to 12s
noah

Noah's right. You lose volume and a little tone, but they help with stubborn chords. Myself, I play .13's, but I'm a heavy hitter and I demand a lot of volume and tone from my poor Larrivee. I also break a lot of strings, which isn't too economical when you are addicted to Elixir's. :arrow

shout 'Freebird' one more time. see what happens.

I normally use lights on my 000-60, extra lights or lights on the LS-10, and occasionally use custom lights on either.
Larrivee LS-10 Custom "Jesse"
Larrivee 000-50 "Emma"
Larrivee 00-50 "Dublin"
Larrivee 00-60 "Rose"
Larrivee L-03 Koa "Hula"
Martin 5-18 ('57) "Tink"
Banjitar  "Plinky"
Baby Taylor "Lichious"
Taylor GC-5 E
Oscar Schmidt OU-5 concert uke "Abalone & Cheese"
Makai MT-70 tenor uke "Kimme"
Martin M3 Soprano Uke "LJ"
A couple non descript cl

I put a  set on my LS-19 about half-way thru the week at Swannanoa music camp this past summer. They helped ease the pain :guitar

the tone was acceptable
Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519

My nickel says it would sound much better with a set of Mediums.

OG
Larrivee OM-03R
Taylor K12
Taylor XXX-RS
Regal RC-58TT
Regal RC-2
Chinese Yueqin

I don't notice too much of a loss of tone. I use .11s on the gigging guitar and there are 12s and 13s on my recording guitar. I do notice a bit of a drop in volume. Nothing serious though. I could not last a gig with the 13s.
Larrivee O-01MH 2000
Larrivee P-09 EIR 2006
Larrivee P-09 BZ 2006
Martin Backpacker 2003

Quote from: magnummic on November 05, 2006, 06:08:48 AM
I don't notice too much of a loss of tone. I use .11s on the gigging guitar and there are 12s and 13s on my recording guitar. I do notice a bit of a drop in volume. Nothing serious though. I could not last a gig with the 13s.

Yeah, I kinda feel sorry for my fingers after a gig, but I love the sustain, so my fingers can go F themselves.

shout 'Freebird' one more time. see what happens.

I put the elixer custom lights on mine... and i've been using them for a couple months now. I think i've decided to switch back to the 12's though. The 11's make it very easy to play, feels smooth as silk... and they sounds quite good, but i've set my action really low, and i find they are a little too low tension for me. They are great for fingerpicking, but if i get a little too agressive on the strumming then i get some rattle against the frets. Plus i tend to overbend them... i can bend a full step on my larry with these things on. Never broken one either.

Aboss
'06 Larrivee LV-03E
'03 Art & Lutherie Cherrywood