Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LMII Gotoh GGM6 tuners = drop in  (Read 2432 times)
Ol Achey

Ignore
« on: October 21, 2006, 01:36:32 AM »

Well, I've joined the tuner swap-out camp here, and just installed the Gotoh GGM6 tuners from Luthier's Mercantile on my L03-MT. As far as I can tell, these are the same as Stew-Mac's Gotoh 0903 tuners - except they're a bit less expensive.

Happy to report these tuners are a direct drop-in replacement! They look and feel great. A very nice and easy upgrade for a modest price. I did re-use the Ping's washers, though. They have a discernable arch to them, but the Gotoh's washers are flat. To my eye, the curved washers add a nice finishing touch.

If I have time tomorrow, I'll post some pics.

-- Ol Achey
jiyang71

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2006, 04:11:53 AM »

If you don't mind the shape of buttons, GGGR is even cheaper. It's same tuner with Grover style buttons.

Jiyang Kang (내가그린)

Larrivee L-03, Guild D-40, Taylor Big Baby, Tacoma CC-10 Nylon, Takamine CP-132SC Classical, PRS Hollowbody I
(Past) Goodall RCJC, Goodall AKCJ, Taylor 814CE, Leach Sierra, PRS Custom 22, Gibson Chet Atkins CEC, Fender Strat 1997 Collector's Edition
Ol Achey

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2006, 10:12:54 PM »

Jiyang71, I noticed the tuners with the Grover style buttons, but decided the GGM6 were more the look I wanted. Without the actual specs, I wasn't sure the GGGR style were the same basic tuner, so thanks for confirming.

Here are the new Gotohs on my L-03MT:

Oh yeah, you can see a glimpse of my good dog Cocoa in the top pic.  She's got a new red harness and we just got back from a walk in the woods.
-- Ol Achey
jiyang71

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2006, 02:24:25 AM »

I asked to the lmii guys and they confirmed it's the same tuners.
I have a set of ebony buttons from FQMS, so I'll go with GGGR and swap the buttons.

Jiyang Kang (내가그린)

Larrivee L-03, Guild D-40, Taylor Big Baby, Tacoma CC-10 Nylon, Takamine CP-132SC Classical, PRS Hollowbody I
(Past) Goodall RCJC, Goodall AKCJ, Taylor 814CE, Leach Sierra, PRS Custom 22, Gibson Chet Atkins CEC, Fender Strat 1997 Collector's Edition
joxter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2006, 11:59:28 AM »

I just put the same tuners in my D-03R.  I used the new washers.

A few weeks ago I checked the little screws on the back of the tuners for tightness and found one of them was stripped.  Is there anything I can do?  Like put a drop of glue on the threads?

Richard

Larrivee OM-03
Larrivee L-05MT
Martin 000-28
Martin 000-28
Martin D35
Ovation Balladeer
Fender Mexi-Tele
Ol Achey

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2006, 12:08:14 PM »

Richard, not sure about the glue, but you might want to take a look at this from Frank Ford's FRETS.com. He adds a toothpick into the mix:
http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Musician/GenMaint/StrippedScrews/stripscrew1.html

Jiyang, I think you've got a great idea there! The LMII folks are really quick with their shipping, too.

-- Ol Achey
Daysailer

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2006, 03:20:51 PM »

Joxter,
I do this all the time to repair striped threads in wood and fiberglass on my 40 year old sailboat. Never have to fix the same hole twice.  I learned this trick when I was building remote control Gliders,  8 - 11 foot wing spans.  Imagine balsa wood with threads that will not strip.  This works.

Get some fast setting superglue from a hobby shop.  1-3  second stuff.  It is a very thin and runny glue.  Goldberg, Bob Smith Industries brands are good. This glue will cappillary into to the wood and swell the wood fibers.  The slower setting versions are a thicker formula and will not absorb as much into the wood.

To apply;  mask/protect the area around the hole. Open the screw top, take a needle or long pin,  dip it into the glue getting a small drop.   Then put that glue into the hole and stir the needle around a bit to get the glue all the way around the hole.  Then wait....
This glue sets very fast when joining things. BUT it does not set quickly when just sitting there. It will absorb into the wood like water, swell the threads and then set, maybe 5-10 mins to be on the safe side with a guitar. You dont want to glue the screw permenatly into your headstock. If you can find another screw the same exact size and thread, you can test and retap the hole with it.  You may find the threads a bit tight the first time, and a sacrificail screw can make keep your good matching screw head from perhaps getting a stripped head. 

If you are extra careful, like I tend to be.  I would pick up a couple of the extra screws at my local bigbox home improvement store, (yes the do have screws that small)  and experiment on a test piece of wood.  Set the screw, deliberatly strip the theads,  try this repair method and experiment until you get the result you want.  This is way easier than this explaination seems.  I just want to make sure you dont mess up on your Larrivee.  Superglue gives no second chances.

I have found that the threads I have repaired on my boats this way, never strip again, and in fact can be tighened as if I had a nut on the other side of the thin material.  I now use this technique on all the fittings on my boats, before they strip.  No more break downs when I'm racing.

good luck    phill

L-03 BlackWood..... "Pluck"
OM-03- MT Forum #14/17
F-III IS/Hog #63/78....SOLD
Seagull Artist Folk
Pono and Kanile'a Tenor Ukulele's
The real Day Sailer...1966 Day Sailer..the boat, not the person
joxter

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2006, 01:43:55 AM »

Thanks Daysailer!  That sounds like just what I need.   

Richard

Larrivee OM-03
Larrivee L-05MT
Martin 000-28
Martin 000-28
Martin D35
Ovation Balladeer
Fender Mexi-Tele
jibs

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2006, 06:42:56 PM »

Anyonwe have any photos of the black tuners on an L-03R?  Im thinking about them but would like to see it first.

Larrivee 2005 L-03R
Guild 1999 D-25
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: