Whats so great about Waverly Tuners?

Started by cowinds, October 18, 2006, 11:25:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I seen Waverly tuners talked about and noticed there high price, but wondered what makes them so great?

In a word, precision. Precise machine work results in tuners that are rock solid and as smooth as silk. Of course it also makes them expensive.

Tom
'73 Gibson Hummingbird,'98 Ovation Std. Balladeer, '99 Martin 000-1, '00 Taylor 355, '01 Larrivee Parlor, MIM P-bass, '06 Rainsong AWS-1000

They are machined to very close tolerances, use two nylon bushings and have a threaded tension collar to insure perfect alignment and mating of the gears. If you want the best they are the ones to choose. If $$ is a consideration then there are many cheaper alternatives that are acceptable by many peoples standards. They are  too expensive for my budget. I bought Grover vintage tuners for my first hand built guitar and selected Gotoh vintage tuners for my second custom guitar which is in progress.

Yep, precision.

However, I wouldn't bother unless it's an expensive guitar with a well made bone  nut.  For the more average guitar a bone nut with properly cut slots and a set of Grover or Gotoh vintage tuners would probably work better.