Storage question

Started by spenser, October 17, 2006, 01:39:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Little help here, please

Starting to get cooler up here in the northeast.  I use the Planet Waves humidifiers in the sound holes/strings of my guitars BUT I store the guitars in a coat closet that happens to abut an outside wall of my house.  Obviously the closet isnt heated but just curious if this is good, bad, not an issue.  Thanks for the guidance and a  :donut and a  :coffee for your answers.

That cold northeast air gets awfully dry in the winter, and I'm talking about outside.  When you bring it in and heat it, it gets even drier.  That humidifier will help.

I have a small walk in in closet for my guitars that I run a small room humidifier in and I keep the door cracked upon some.  This keeps the room at about 40-50% RH.

I would store it somewhere where the temp. is about room temperature. 
05 Larrivee LV-05 (L.R. Baggs Imix)
03 Paul Reed Smith Custom 24
99 Fender DG-24 MA
Mesa Boogie Road King II Head & Mesa Road King 2x12 Cab

Heated closet?  You mean it has it's own heater or vent?  As long as the temperature difference between your closet and your playing room is 10 degrees or less, I wouldn't worry.  More than 10 degrees and you might have problems from the guitars frequently expanding/contracting due to temp change when being pulled out to be played.

David
So many songs - so little time...
Finger Picking good Folk, Blues, Gospel, Roots, Rags, and Originals
www.davidberchtold.com

Sorry-to clarify, it is a standard coat closet is a spare bedroom.  Does not have it's own heater.  Thanks for the help, wil likely move them to a more "inside" closet. 

Can you leave the closet door open? If the outside wall is insulated and there are no big drafts of outside air I don't think you have to worry.

Not a bad time to pick up a humidifier, the bigger the better! :thumbsup
2004 Larrivee Parlor BW
2003 Larrivee L-03 BW
2002 Larrivee D-03 BW x 2