Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mesa Boogie Road King II Review  (Read 942 times)
parsky1

Ignore
« on: October 14, 2006, 10:04:37 PM »

Well my urge to get a new electric amp finally got to my wallet.  I was tired of my solid state/hybrid cyber mockup amp, and figured if I'm gonna spend the money on a tube amp I might as well get the one I really want.

I snagged a 2 month old Mesa Boogie Road King Series II head off ebay and a Mesa Boogie Road King 2x12" Cab (Half open/Half closed back).

First off this thing has more Vaccum tubes than an early computer! (14 to be exact)  bigrin  Having four totally independent channels is pretty sweet, with each having 3 different preamp models to choose from.  Plus 2 series fx loops and built in tube long spring reverb.  This thing gives you so many tone options!  It has a lot of switches and dials which could be somewhat overwhelming for some people, but I like complicated toys.   It is rather heavy (~75lbs for the head).
Current Setup:
Channel 1:  Set to Tweed for that clean Fender sound with 2 6L6 tubes
Channel 2:  Set up for Brit for a rockin' power clip (AC/DC sounding) with 2 EL34 tubes
Channel 3:  Set up for Vintage for that Mesa high gain Recto Sound with 2 6L6 tubes
Channel 4:  Set up for Modern, shooting for more of a Marshall sound here, but it still has a bit of a Mesa Vibe to it with 2 EL34 tubes

I use Tube rectification on all the channels even though I could set any one of them to Silicon Diodes to tighten things up a bit.  I can also set any of the channels to do 2 6L6s(50watts), 4 6L6s (100watts), 2 EL34s (50watts), 2 EL34 + 2 6L6s (100watts), or 4 6L6s + 2 EL34s (120watts).  I chose just to keep it at 50 watts since the thing is loud enough already, although going from 50watts to 100watts is only like +2db in volume.

And who doesn't want a 24" 8-button footswitch to boot? 

Anyway I could go on for hours about this thing.  I can tell you it was worth every cent and sounds so much better than a solid state modeling amp. 

You can read more here:   http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Rectifier_Series/roadking/roadking.htm

I just though I would post my initial thoughts on it and a few pics for you electric players here in the forum.  The thing sounds awesome and I still know there is plenty of room for tweaking.

05 Larrivee LV-05 (L.R. Baggs Imix)
03 Paul Reed Smith Custom 24
99 Fender DG-24 MA
Mesa Boogie Road King II Head & Mesa Road King 2x12 Cab
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: