Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Doing a recorded-live radio show this week!!  (Read 1316 times)
Camalex

Ignore
« on: October 01, 2006, 02:52:44 PM »

Not sure if this is the correct place to post -- but we cna use all the kharma we can get.  Show airs on 10/20 and records on 10/7.

'Radio from Downtown' returns to Avalon, WESM
Listeners to Delmarva’s radio station will be thrilled to learn about the return of "Radio from Downtown" to the historic Avalon Theater in Easton, and to WESM.

The new, possibly improved, show will feature music from acoustic guitarists Tim Alexander and Sandy Shalk, celebrating the release of their CD, "Giving Voice"; environmental writer Tom Horton; the Downtown Players, with an original radio play featuring The Downtown Players with Susan Stamberg and Carl Kasell from National Public Radio; music from the RFD house band, the No-no Nonette (streamlined to eight pieces for this performance only); and the Flamingo Brothers, Phil and Ramone. A few surprises cannot be ruled out.

"We’re trying to make the show behave like a real radio show—have been for years," commented executive producer Van Williamson, taking a break from dumpster diving behind the Safeway on Kent Island. "There’s just something about the format that is irritating to a lot of people, including us—it makes it gooey and hard to light, but we keep trying to fix it. I have every reason to believe we’ll get it down real good by the time the show rolls around."

The performance begins on October 7th with music from the house band at 7:30 p.m., and the taping starts at 8:00 p.m. Tickets are $25 and may be purchased by mail from the Avalon Theater (40 East Dover Street, Easton, MD 21601), from Jonas’ Attic in Easton, or through Ticketmaster.

For more information, call the theater at 410-822-7299. The broadcast here on WESM will be Friday, October 20th, at 8:00 PM. “Radio from Downtown” is void where prohibited.

Tim Alexander
www.pineyridgemusic.com
www.cdbaby.com/cd/timsandy
Martin OM18v, Martin 0000-18 Custome, 2017 Ryan Paradiso
ronmac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2006, 04:09:06 PM »

Sounds like fun. Wil this be streamed?

Ron

Randy_R
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2006, 04:49:31 PM »

I used to spend a lot weekends on the Eastern Shore in an old farmhouse on the Little Choptank near Cambridge.

Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519
Camalex

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2006, 06:45:52 PM »

Sounds like fun. Wil this be streamed?

recorded and then streamed on 10/20 -- not sure what time -- see the link.

http://www.publicbroadcasting.net/wesm/arts.artsmain

Tim Alexander
www.pineyridgemusic.com
ronmac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2006, 09:32:23 PM »

Thanks! I look forward to hearing that.

Ron

Camalex

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2006, 06:58:09 PM »

Other stations are streaming the show at different times and dates. For now WESM is airing a digital stream of the show on 10/20 -- see the link below:

http://www.publicbroadcasting.net/wesm/arts.artsmain?action=viewArticle&id=965546&pid=322&sid=10

October 20th, 8:00 PM EST

'Radio from Downtown' returns to Avalon, WESM
Listeners to Delmarva¿s radio station will be thrilled to learn about the return of "Radio from Downtown" to the historic Avalon Theater in Easton, and to WESM. The new, possibly improved, show will feature music from acoustic guitarists Tim Alexander and Sandy Shalk, celebrating the release of their CD, "Giving Voice"

Briefly, I can only say that this experience of playing in a recorded live radio variety show was the absolute deep end of the pool for this part-time guitar player. Sandy thought I was going pass out and fall down the stairs just before I went on stage (me too) -- but I bucked up and we both played like champs. Suffice to say it was the most terrifying and yet most exhilarating experience I've ever had with a guitar in my hands. Actually, I was less nervous on my wedding day.

You can be the judge of how well we played on 10.20 when the show is aired on the Internet -- but under the conditions (radio recording, cable TV recording, variety show entrance, live band behind us, MC and actors all around, 100-120 in the audience and the most professional operation with green room/stage hands/stage manager, etc.) -- I think we played very well.

Just like when Sandy and I recorded together at the studio -- the camradery of the experience made it far more meaningful. And I am grateful to the many people here who were thinking of us as we went on stage.

Tim Alexander
www.pineyridgemusic.com
Randy_R
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2006, 01:16:07 PM »

Great  story. will try to catch the show when its streamed....

Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: