what ONE album has moved you more than any other?

Started by Caleb, October 11, 2006, 04:09:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Indigo Girls self titled album is one that still blows me away. Incredible harmonies withot being sterile.  It is one of the few Cds that didnt seem to have filler on it to me just well written songs, that seemed like they flowed into each other.  It had the perfect ending in the song "History of Us" The sound of the acoustic guitars, made me want to run and pick one up. It was also the first CD I bought and one that made me interested in exploring other folk artists out there.  Patrick
CA Bluegrass Performer, Larrivee D-02 (sapele),  Martin LXK2 \"If we weren't all crazy, we would go insane"

SOUL MUSIC......LISA MCCLENDON,    LEON TIMBO....SOUL SESSIONS,  FRED HAMMOND.....PURPOSE BY DESIGN,  ANTONIO NEAL ...DAYS OF MY LIFE, &    LAURYN HILL ......UNPLUGGED 2.0    .   Sorry. But I can not attribute it to just one.  So here we have the top 5.  But truth be told, I feel that all of these were inspired and influenced by the Spiritual inspiration behind WHAT'S GOING ON......MARVIN GAYE.

John Fahey - Blind Joe Death, at the time he was recording an album that highlighted Americas guitar roots, now we consider THAT album to be Americas guitar roots. Inspired me to pursue fingerstyle exclusively

It's Richard Buckner "Bloomed" and Dylan "Highway 61 Revisited" in a dead heat.

I was a metal head in my youth, one of the guitarists that really grabbed me was Tony Iommi,, while I liked all his stuff "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath" REALLY grabbed me like no other in that time. Another that really grabbed me was Grand Funk Railroad "Live" those 2 albums shaped my youth like no others,, as of late,, there hasnt been much to REALLY grab ahold of me like those 2 albums did.
Jim

"I'm growin older,, but not up"  Jimmy Buffett

Larrivee L09 CE
Larrivee L-05
Epiphone 12 string '76
'01 Gibson SG Special
John Mayer Signature Fender Strat
Jimmie Vaughan Fender Strat
Epiphone Iommi SG
Ibanez Artist '82
Various other electronics and amps

Chris Whitley's first album Living with the Law
OMV-40
OM-3R
LV-03
Martin OMC-15E
Late 70's Univox Acoustic
Kentucky Mandolin

Thanks for dredging up some great old albums (not cd's yet). I guess that those which has the most play time would include

Freewheelin' Bob Dylan, second album
Ramblin Jack Elliott, on Prestige. maybe early 60's, what great song interpretations
American Beauty, one of the Dead' s highlights
Buffalo Springfield Again, I loved listening to Neil Young on A Child's Claim...
Rubber Soul, the Beatles
On the Boulevard, New Grass Revival- these guys just blew me away

That isn't three is it? Oh well.

And leaves out jazz and r & b... and more and John Prine which I got to later...

The David Grisman Quintet;  1977
(with Tony Rice on guitar)

from amazon.com...
"A string band pilgrim who had already soldiered through bluegrass, folk, and rock, mandolinist David Grisman helped jump start a new chapter in instrumental music with the release of this 1977 album, carving out a jubilant acoustic style borrowing equally from Bill Monroe's bluegrass legacy and Django Reinhardt's '30s swing as immortalized by his Quintet of the Hot Club of France. Grisman's band, including violinist Darol Anger and multi-instrumentalist Mike Marshall, bring jaunty lyricism to a set that introduces this hybrid fully- formed. Grisman would continue to explore its boundaries with various lineups (including collaborations with the peerless Stephane Grappelli, violinist for the original Hot Club), but he would never improve on the music here." --Sam Sutherland

I have two:

Van Morrison "To Late to Stop Now" (got me out of just listening to the same %^*# everyday on the radio and taking an interest in other types of music.)

John McLaughlin, Al Di Meola, and Paco DeLucia "Friday Night in San Fransisco" (made me pick up the guitar)

jeff

Larrivee 00-03MT Forum IV  #30 of 29

Willie Nelson-Red Headed Stranger
I already had a guitar but that album inspired me to learn to play.   

My first choice is "Anything, Anytime, Anywhere" by Bruce Cockburn.

The runner ups (in a tie) are:

"The Very Best of Cat Stevens"  by Cat Stevens
"The Very Best of Jerry Garcia" (2 disc set) by Jerry Garcia
"Unplugged" by Eric Clapton
"Endomusia" by James Gordon
:guitar

2006 Larrivée L-03
2006 Martin Backpacker

"The best things in life aren't things."

As a young kid, I was blown away by RUSH's "A Farewell To Kings".

Until I heard it, I wasn't really into music. I remember being suprised at such virtuostic musicianship in a Pop album.
FIII LS-03 IS/Hog on the way

OM-01 (For Sale soon, anyone interested?)
Republic Guitars Resolian (for slide)
A bunch of harmonicas

I have to give credit to Don Ross for inspiring me to learn fingerstyle.  Just happened upon his album Robot Monster and soon listenend to Passion Session and Huron Street then saw him in concert in Vancouver BC.  Been hooked on the guitar ever since.  I knew he credited players like Bruce Cockburn as his influences so I listened to some of his stuff, wow.  Gotta listen to Bruce's instrumental album Speechless if you haven't heard it.  Just discovered more and more great guitar music from there....

Had heard of Michael Hedges but hadn't really listened to much until a couple years ago, another WOW.  Billy McLaughlin, Alex DeGrassi, Kelly Joe Phelps, Pierre Bensusan, Laurence Jubert, Kaki King, Peppino, Adrian Legg, Proctor, Tommy Emmanuel, Rodrigo y Gabriella, John Smith, there are so many!  So much to listen to and learn and play. 
1986 Larrivee L-05

John Cale (formerly of the Velvet Underground):  "Paris 1919"
If it sounds good, it is good.

Album?  I remember albums.  I remember "78" albums. 

Blood on the Tracks.  Bob Dylan

Larry

<1 or 2 nice ones>

Neil Young Harvest album
Specifically the song "out on the weekend"

Sonic Youth, Daydream Nation.  I thought, wow, are those guitars they are playing?

Laura Nyro - Mother's Spirtual

The title track is the most moving few minutes of popular music I know.
oldWithoutMoney.com

Larrivee L-09 (w/ non-cutout iMix)
Larrivee 00-19
Larrivee OM-0312R

plus a few other treasures

Alex de Grassi - Slow Circle
My Guitars:
Larrivee LV-03RE, OM-03MT, L-03WL
Northwood MJ-80
Paragon 00 (Makore)
Seagull 25th Anniv Mahog
Guild GAD-30R, GAD-30E