what ONE album has moved you more than any other?

Started by Caleb, October 11, 2006, 04:09:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

there has to be one that is out there that changed things for you and really moved you.

Luminaria by Ian Moore probably moved me more than any other record ive ever heard. it was so different than anything id ever heard. though it came out in 2003 and cannot be considered classic, it hit me like a ton of bricks. alt.county meets jazz meets roots meets folk meets who knows what. he's got to be one most gifted singers alive as well.

Lowell George's Thanks I'll eat it here.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Do The Freddy - Freddy and the Dreamers. Those were the days my friend. We thought they'd never end.
Rob - Little Feat! Need I say more?  :thumbsup

In reality, probably Grateful Dead's Aoxomoxoa. I bought it when it first came out (I was about 14). I bought it because of the intruiging artwork. Didn't know anything about the Dead, at the time. It lead me into being a Deadhead for a while. But it moved me to explore all kinds of new unknown music. Something I continue to enjoy doing to this day.

The first John Prine album. I first heard it in the early '70's; I was 18. That's the album that made me go out and buy my first guitar. That's the album that, probably more than any other, shaped my musical preferences over the next thirty years. That album was a major influence in my own repertoire (I still love to play a number of songs off that album).  For those who know this album, you'll agree that the musiicianship is uncomplicated, and the singing is, well, John Prine. Yet there is a (CLICHE ALERT!!) timeless, ancient quality to the songwriting, and it stands up quite well today.

Most importantly, the album taught me that you didn't have to play like Clapton or sing like McCartney to make worthwhile music. 

Allman Brothers Live at the Fillmore..disc one. 
http://community.webshots.com/user/fng45

Life is too short to drink cheap beer.

The Cheiftans: Tears of Stone (with Bonnie Raitt, Sinead O'Conner, Joan Osborne, Mary Chapin Carpenter, Diana Krall, etc
Larrivee LS-10 Custom "Jesse"
Larrivee 000-50 "Emma"
Larrivee 00-50 "Dublin"
Larrivee 00-60 "Rose"
Larrivee L-03 Koa "Hula"
Martin 5-18 ('57) "Tink"
Banjitar  "Plinky"
Baby Taylor "Lichious"
Taylor GC-5 E
Oscar Schmidt OU-5 concert uke "Abalone & Cheese"
Makai MT-70 tenor uke "Kimme"
Martin M3 Soprano Uke "LJ"
A couple non descript cl

EXACTLY what Stubby said!!!!!  Word for word!!!!  John Prine's first album was the single most influential album/artist that shaped my guitar playing years that followed.  To this day, my play list will always include one or two of John Prine's classics.  I think of him as the everyday kinda guy with technique that is easy and enjoyable for the average player like myself.

NewStrings
Lord of the STRINGS * Kronbauer TDK *  Taylor 614ce  *  Larrivee LV-03RE  *  Taylor 810ce  *  Martin D-18 Custom  *  Gibson ES - Les Paul  *  Gibson J-45  *  Fender Telecaster  *  Jason Romero banjo  *   National Estralita Resonator * Muth mandolin

Another for John Prine's first album.  I still play Hello In There, Paradise, Angels From Montgomery.  I bought the songbook, its old and yellowed now.

:guitar
Richard

Larrivee OM-03
Larrivee L-05MT
Martin 000-28
Martin 000-28
Martin D35
Ovation Balladeer
Fender Mexi-Tele

Santana - Abraxas
Larrivee D60
Taylor 422 Maple
Delux Tele Plus

Oh I thought you meant moved me out of the room! In that case, too friggin' many to mention. As for albums that moved me emotionally ... Dave Carter and Tracy Grammer come to mind.

Acoustic: Hot Tuna - "Hot Tuna".  Their first album.  Blew me away. Still some of the best acoustic blues I've ever heard.  It's like Jorma chanelled the spirits of the Rev. and Mance Lispscome, tightend up the arragements a bit, and blasted them out his fingertips.  :thumb
http://furpeaceranch.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=23_35&products_id=77

Electric: 3-way tie between James Gang - Rides Again, Jeff Beck - Blow by Blow, and Greatful Dead - Live in San Fransico.
So many songs - so little time...
Finger Picking good Folk, Blues, Gospel, Roots, Rags, and Originals
www.davidberchtold.com

Mississippi John Hurt---The best of Mississippi john Hurt...this album still moves me everytime I hear it...the emotion and feeling that MJH puts into his guitar playing and singing on everyone of these songs is just fantastic...I have always been moved more by live music...even recordings of live music...than overly produced albums...and this is certainly true with MJH...something special comes through on this album that I just haven't heard on his other discs.... :guitar

:cheers

Blue
OM-05MT "Mary Helen"
Silvercreek T-170
Harmony Herd (1203, 162, 165, 6362)

Yikes, I might sound like a rebel here but mine would prolly be:

Alice In Chains MTV Unplugged (DVD or the CD)   :guitar

Seeing a Seattle grunge band going out all acoustic just really inspired me to practice more and inspired me musically to play more.  I worked on that album for a long time when I first started playing.  You wouldn't think a band like them would sound any good unplugged, but once you get a listen to a song without all the distortion you really start to hear the great writing and composing that was done.
05 Larrivee LV-05 (L.R. Baggs Imix)
03 Paul Reed Smith Custom 24
99 Fender DG-24 MA
Mesa Boogie Road King II Head & Mesa Road King 2x12 Cab

Blue
Joni Mitchell

Cheap Thrills
Big Brother and the Holding Company

Ian and Sylvia
(Debut album)
Old Folkie
1974 Guild D25 (Fishman Matrix PU)
2005 Larrivee L-03 (from bleumax) with K&K Pure Mini PU
Also dabble in fiddle, clawhammer banjo, cavequeno

Over the years many artists have inspired me and pushed me to redfine my musical tastes. However, over the last 3 years, as I have, almost exclusively, explored the world of the acoustic guitar, I would have to say that the one work that stands out in my mind for its pure artistry and exploration of the instrument is
Intuite -  Pierre Bensusan

I have been forutnate to see Pierre perform live and was impressed with his dedication to the art and also the way in which he explores a specific tuning (DADGAD) in ways that one would not normally associate with it. A true artist par excellence!

Ian (in Cedar Creek, TX)
1974 Eko Ranger VI
2002 Larrivee LV10E
2007 McIlroy A25C

"When you're tired, and can't do anything, don't do anything. And while you're not doing anything, practice" - Robert Fripp

John Mayer , Room for squares.
Great songs and great guitar.
Yes,i know hes popular with the girls.(lucky bum)

"No Dirty Names" by Dave van Ronk and...
"Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere" by Neil Young and Crazy Horse.

van Ronk bowled me over with his playing and the breadth of his source material.
"Everybody Knows..." had so much power with such simplicity.

Listened to them over and over and both are still among my favorites. I do wish I could find "No Dirty Names" on CD, but as far as I can tell, it has not been reissued in that format.

--Ol Achey