Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: what ONE album has moved you more than any other?  (Read 7308 times)
Sordello

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2006, 12:51:06 PM »

George Harrison's  All Things Must Pass.  What amazing music! And such intelligent lyrics (okay, forget Apple Scruffs) and the musicianship and yes the wall of sound thing too.  But I was about 13 or 14 when I first heard those songs, and those lyrics made me THINK as well as enjoy the music. My listening was never the same after that album.. The Apple Jam LP (the third disk) was way ahead of its time too: funky stuff!!
Novalis

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2006, 07:55:13 PM »

Wes Montgomery "Road Song".
Okay, this isn't considered his most important, most technically demanding recording but has influenced my playing style more than any other record album. "Road Song" is one of the first records I remember hearing as a very young boy and even though I've heard it countless times, I'm still moved every time I put it on the turntable.

The only other record that has inspired me as much was just mentioned previously: "All Things Must Pass" by my favorite Beatle, George. 

Guitars: Larrivee P-05; National Resphonic Style 2 Squareneck;      National Resophonic 12-fret "B"; Dupont MD-50;
Lazy River Weissenborn; Robert Sayers custom flat-top;
Cervantes Crossover; Todd Korup banjo-uke; McSpadden dulcimer;
PRS 22 semi-hollow ltd.; PRS DC3
Amplification: RA-400; Rivera Venus 3
mekobebe

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2006, 08:39:49 PM »

Great overall "Let it be" from the beatles
and good acoustic- "Unplugged" from eric clapton
if you havent heard these be sure to cheak them out.
jimmy buffett

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2006, 01:53:08 PM »

There are probably too many albums to name that have influenced me over the years, but my earlier influences included the Everley Brothers, Gordon Lightfoot, James Taylor, CSN&Y, Eagles, America, Dan Folelberg, Jimmy Buffett, and Joni Mitchell, to name just a few.  The straight up acoustics by the Everleys, the three Lightfoot LPs I owned as a 12 year old, and JT's unique playing style all contributed to my love of an acoustic performance.

In the spirit of this discussion, I could also name Jackson Browne's "For Everyman" as an LP thar truly influenced me at that time in my life.  It may be the strongest reason why soon after purchasing this LP, I bought my first guitar and began the acoustic journey. Cuts like "These Days", "Take it Easy"," For Everyman" and "Our Lady of the Well" still speak to me.

jimmy

Denis
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2006, 02:13:53 PM »

When I first heard A Friday Night in San Francisco with DiMeola, DeLucia and McLaughlin, I was completely blown away.  I had been playing for about 3-4 years and I never knew that guitar could be played like that!!! 

If you're talking ablums with lyrics, Sgt. Peppers was one of the first albums that grabbed me wright from the first listen.

saffron_boots

« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2006, 04:50:18 PM »

Michael Hedges - Aerial Boundaries.

Got me playing guitar again...
McKay

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2006, 02:22:28 PM »

I grew up in the 80's and the album that moved me the most was Ozzy's "Blizzard of Ozz".  This is the album that made me want to play guitar.  Fiery fast classical based solo's that dripped with emotion combined with flash, taste and sheer brilliance.  Shortly after buying this album I bought my first guitar.  The first fingerpicked song that I learned was a nice classical  song called "Dee" that was from this album.  My tastes have changed since then and I noodle with many styles but this is where it began for me.

Black Fender Strat Plus Deluxe
Larrivee L-19 Cutaway
Ibanez Jem 777DY
Fender F-80-12
Giannini Classical
Aria ProII RS InaZuma V
Peavey Stereo Chorus 412
Marshall 75W Reverb
Lifco Tube Amp
Boss GT-6
stuco

« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2006, 11:07:33 PM »

afro

Grateful Dead-without a net.

Check it out.
MrZamboni

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2006, 03:29:55 AM »

Crosby, Stills and Nash--the original. Either that or the Beatles "White Album" I can never decide on just one.

LV-10 45th anniversary
LV-10 Tambourine Lady
OM-10BZ
D-10
OO-03MH
13th Fret Limited Edition Koa Parlour
B-02 bass

D-02 (my baby's 16th birthday present-and now he's 27!)

other assorted: Yamaha, Epiphone dot, Johnson resonator, La Patrie classical
Gemnoc

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2006, 03:37:30 AM »

It'll sound cliché and maybe a little silly, but my album is Eric Clapton's Unplugged. I bought the K7, then bought a CD player so I could buy the CD. Then the VHS tape, and the song book. I became a Clapton fan but also it opened my ears to the blues. I had been playing guitar for a year at the time, it definitely gave me a huge boost in my motivation to play more.

2005 Larrivée LV-03RE
2003 Larrivée Rosewood Special Edition Parlor
1998 Fender American Std Stratocaster
1991 Vantage VS-5 (beater)
Randy_R
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2006, 05:27:57 AM »

Tom Rush and "Circle Game" was a pivotal album for me.

I see where Tom Rush has recently done an instructional DVD for this material. I'm tempted to pick it up.

Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519
Celticjam

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2006, 06:53:05 PM »

Grateful Dead - American Beauty
mhiscox

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2006, 04:26:26 AM »

+1 for Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here.

Still my no1. today.

"Wish you were here."
magnummic

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2006, 04:15:49 PM »

Chris Squire's Fish Out Of Water. Not an acoustic album, but it never gets old.

Larrivee O-01MH 2000
Larrivee P-09 EIR 2006
Larrivee P-09 BZ 2006
Martin Backpacker 2003
old folky

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2006, 01:36:13 PM »

Extremely difficult, but I can narrow it down to two, I think.  Gordon Lightfoot's "The Way I Feel" and Stan Roger's "Live Album" were big influences for me.

'74 Martin D35S
Larrivee SD 50 TSB
Unplayed Vega and Harmony banjos
Denis
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2006, 01:49:11 PM »

Extremely difficult, but I can narrow it down to two, I think.  Gordon Lightfoot's "The Way I Feel" and Stan Roger's "Live Album" were big influences for me.

Oh yeah, Stan Rogers, the live album I think is titled Home in Halifax.  Awesome stuff.  Get his first album called Fogarty's Cove.  Man, what a voice that man had.  Rattles my bones just thinking about it.  Too bad he was taken so soon. 

old folky

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2006, 05:26:43 PM »

Hi Denis,
     Stan's "Between the Breaks-Live" is the one I was referring to.  I have them all plus his book, An Unfinished Conversation".  It sounds like you're  maybe a fan also.   I've never heard a voice as strong as that doing the kind of music that I like to play and hear.  I've seen Garnet 4 times over the years,although it has been a while, but he's great also. 

'74 Martin D35S
Larrivee SD 50 TSB
Unplayed Vega and Harmony banjos
sayheyjeff

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2006, 05:32:45 PM »

Didn't visit this thread til now and should have.  Fun read.  Never counted Freddy and the (I'm Telling You Now?) Dreamers.  Thought it was an EP and didn't count.  Happy to see Let It Bleed make the list.  Sometimes I put Beggers Banquet higher on "the list".  Good to see the 1st Hot Tuna and John Prine albums too.  "Electric Ladyland" is one I would put in the space capsule for others to find along with Coletrane's "Favorite Things", Monk's "Underground", and Ellington's "Great Paris Concert".  Don't think I could say any had a greater influence than Bob Dylan and his body of work from the 60's including "Times They are a Changin", "Freewheelin", "Another Side of Bob Dylan", "Bringin It All Back Home", "Highway 61 Revisited", "Blonde on Blonde", and "John Wesley Harding".  If I had to pick one of those I would have to say Freewheelin just because it was 1st for me and compelled me to get to know all of the rest of them.  

Santa Cruz PJ
Martin om28v
Martin 0018vs
Bourgeois 'Alan Simpson' Slope Dread
Martin LXM (on loan)
jeremy3220
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2006, 03:58:14 PM »

I think I have to go with Dylan's Blood On the Tracks

Runners up would be
Missippi John Hurt Today!
Tim Buckley's Live in London 1968
and any Nick Drake album

Funny, I wasn't alive when any of these were recorded.

pigtown

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2006, 12:44:50 PM »

Old folky and Denis, count me in with Stan.  Love both live albums, but have to go to a studio album for the Jeannie C.

But the one album that has moved me more than any other was way back in 1975:
"Hank Williams, Jr. And Friends"

Hank was turning a corner with that one; the "friends" were Charlie Daniels, Toy Caldwell of the Marshall Tucker Band,
Chuck Leavell of the Allman Brothers, and a super picker by the name of Pete Carr.

Second place:
Temporary Road, John Gorka
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: