I-Beam pickup recording advice

Started by hatofthecat, October 06, 2006, 09:10:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hi

I have the following setup:

L-03 fitted with LR Baggs iBeam Active pickup
LR Baggs Para DI
Edirol UA-25 Audio Capture device

I'm recording into Audacity currently as being from a software (25+ years.... jeez I feel old.. ) rather than audio engineer background I like its simple interface ....well mainly it doesn't try to squeeze down an image of 2 by 3 foot mixing desk into the space on my PC screen and expect me to know what all the twiddly buttons down the left corner that you can't get the mouse to select and I've not seen before actually do  :?

Problem I have is trying to cull the "boominess" of the raw pickup output and get closer to that natural sweet acoustic sound  :guitar  ...okay I know I'm asking for the moon   :rolleyes: 

Based on the brief instruction book provided I've tried setting 'NOTCH' between B and D on the Para DI to reduce the boominess but I can't quite seem to get the sweetspot where boominess recedes without turning it almost down to zero and falling into "hollow" territory so have turned up the midrange 'MID' setting on the Para DI a bit at 400hz (0.4) which helps a bit but its still far from what I'm seeking.  I've left the other knobs where they are based on the only "change one factor at a time" principle... I did my degree in Physics and they trained me good..... :arrow

I bought the Edirol box as I'm getting a pair of mics to record the acoustic sound but would like to get a good set of settings for the pickup too as its easier to use (plus can use with laptop when away from home) for just capturing an interesting riff.

Any advice or tips from those with more "hands on" experience I'd be grateful  :smile:   

cheers, Pete

...oh and  :donut :donut :donut :donut :donut .....as I forgot in my first posting on the forum.... not that I can have any as on a diet  :doh

1992 Larrivée L-09 Koa

Wait for you rmics, then try recording again.  One you try the mics, you probalby won't want to use the pickup for recording.

Quote from: sdelsolray on October 06, 2006, 09:47:43 AM
Wait for you rmics, then try recording again.  One you try the mics, you probalby won't want to use the pickup for recording.

Well the mics arrived...days apart one at a time, don't you just love couriers  :doh and first few attempts sound goooooood  :thumb

Also dug out my proper monitor speakers out of the loft and swapped them for the twinky designer ones that were attached to the PC..... forgot how much better they sound...... okay, they are truly butt ugly but its how they sound that matters and my tweaked pickup recordings sound pretty good thru them too.

1992 Larrivée L-09 Koa

Try going into your A input with the microphone and into your B input with the iBeam. Record on two separate mono tracks in Audacity. Pan the two tracks hard right and hard left and add reverb to taste to one track.
2016 Martin 000-28vs 12 fret

2014 Taylor 814ce

2014 Godin Multiac Classical

2012 Gibson "The Golden Age 1930's" SJ200

2012 Squier Vintage Modified 70's Jazz Bass

2010 Gretsch Electromatic G5122DC

2009 Taylor GA3-12e

2004 Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster

1981 Rickenbacker 320JG

1968 Yamaha FG150 Red La

Quote from: drathbun on October 17, 2006, 12:04:59 AM
Try going into your A input with the microphone and into your B input with the iBeam

Thanks for the steer drathburn   :thumb  ...will give it a whirl  :nana_guitar

1992 Larrivée L-09 Koa