Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Who uses a Pure Western?  (Read 1788 times)
aaronjnoone

Ignore
« on: October 06, 2006, 01:39:22 PM »

Hi all,

I'm trying to decide which P/U to put in my 12-string. I do not want a UST, unless it's part of a blend. I keep hearing great things about the Pure Western and the Baggs I-Beam. I can't say I've heard either one of these, but people have said they are pretty accurate. I was wondering if any of you can help me decide, based on your own personal experience with K&K, Baggs, or 12-strings.

thanks everybody,
Aaron

shout 'Freebird' one more time. see what happens.
Caleb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2006, 04:49:26 AM »

ive got a pure western in my larrivee dread. im not going to pretend like i have tons of experience with acoustic pickups (since i dont), but i have got nothing but great sound out of my guitars plugged in sound. i have always just plugged directly into the house systems where ive played, and have never used it with an acoustic amp. the thing i like about it is that it actually sounds like my guitar, only amplified. none of that plastic or boxy sounding mess you hear with some plugged in guitars. just nice clear sound - especially when the soundman dials it in just right. if i remember correctly, the pure western was a bit cheaper than the competition as well. i think they were a newer company then, and the prices may have went up a bit since, but i highly recommend one.
dberch
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2006, 05:48:46 PM »

+1 for K&K Mini.  I have them on three guitars.  Here's a cliip of my K&K equipped Larrive OM-05MT.  Direct.  NO mic.
http://home.mchsi.com/~dberch/MP3s/The_Fisherman.mp3
This is exactly what my audience hears and it sounds just like my guitar.  I'm very pleased.  It sound just as good strummed, but I don't have a sample of that.

Now if you're going to play frequently in VERY loud venues (500+ people) plus 15" monitors on stage, you'll probably get some feedback.  You might consider another option, such as D-Tar Wavelength or Baggs M1, or just and a Baggs Feedback Master.

David

So many songs - so little time...
Finger Picking good Folk, Blues, Gospel, Roots, Rags, and Originals
www.davidberchtold.com
aaronjnoone

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2006, 06:40:53 PM »

+1 for K&K Mini.  I have them on three guitars.  Here's a cliip of my K&K equipped Larrive OM-05MT.  Direct.  NO mic.
http://home.mchsi.com/~dberch/MP3s/The_Fisherman.mp3
This is exactly what my audience hears and it sounds just like my guitar.  I'm very pleased.  It sound just as good strummed, but I don't have a sample of that.

Now if you're going to play frequently in VERY loud venues (500+ people) plus 15" monitors on stage, you'll probably get some feedback.  You might consider another option, such as D-Tar Wavelength or Baggs M1, or just and a Baggs Feedback Master.

David

That does sound pretty good. A lot better than a UST. Nice picking, by the way, thanks for that.

Not that I'm going to get percussive on my 12string, but how does it respond to aggressive/percussive strumming and soundboard taps?

dberch
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2006, 03:34:33 PM »

Extremely well.  Not quite as good as a mic, but good enough I would think.  You can always add a mic to your K&K with the Trinity upgrade kit: http://kksound.com/trinityupgrade.html

So many songs - so little time...
Finger Picking good Folk, Blues, Gospel, Roots, Rags, and Originals
www.davidberchtold.com
aaronjnoone

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2006, 04:00:18 PM »

That's amazing, for being so affordable, and being passive. Thanks for the info, Dave.

LawDogStrgsAttach
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2006, 02:12:55 AM »

I was pessimistic...but I bought a mini for my LV03-12 and installed myself...just WOW.  Very impressive and I was very shocked at the price to tone ratio.  hard to beat!

McIlroy AJ30 Sitka/East Indian Rosewood
Petros Walnut Creek Grand Concert
patrickgm60

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2006, 04:59:25 PM »

Another "thumbs up" here for the K&K.  I have the mini Western on my LV and the K&K Western Classical (?) on my nylon guitar.  Both sound very "real" through amps and pa sytems, both fingerstyle and strumming.  I have been able to prevent feedback in loud environments with the Feedback Buster.  I recommend the K&K preamp, as well, which boosts your signal a bit and gives you convenient volume and eq.

Patrick
Martin HD28-LSV
Gibson L-50(?)
Taylor NS32CE
LaPatrie Etude
Blueridge BR-341
Washburn Mando
aaronjnoone

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2006, 05:49:06 PM »

Welp,

I installed my Pure Western mini in my 12-string today, left some of my finger-skin superglued to my bridge plate, and man, I can't believe how this thing sounds. Not as full as my blender unit on my Larry, but nicely balanced and true. It's perfect for this guitar. You turn up the gain a little more, add some lows and voila! You've got a nice, full, even tone.

Props to K&K for putting out this affordable unit.

HangFire
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2006, 04:23:40 PM »

I've got the K&K Pure Western full size in my #1 Dread and it sounds great, no feedback, and the soundman loves it!

2004 Larrivee Parlor BW
2003 Larrivee L-03 BW
2002 Larrivee D-03 BW x 2
Zach
Admin

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2006, 02:45:32 PM »

It's the only pickup I'll use.

Zach
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: