Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: sunrise Pick ups  (Read 981 times)
laravec10

Ignore
« on: September 19, 2006, 03:22:04 AM »

What do you all think of the sunrise pick up?  I've been using it in my C10 but I don't realy like the sound

By the way I am running the guitar through a Trace Elliot TAP1 preamp and a nano compressor
Calvin
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2006, 07:19:36 AM »

If you want to get rid of it, give me a PM.  I think you need an Eq for it to really work, and last time I checked it's passive, so you need a good preamp.

Larrivee LSV-05
Larrivee LV-09FM
Larrivee CS-30
Yamaha Chronos LL-16
Yamaha Pacifica 112J
Martin LX-1
Fender American Stratocaster Delux
Fender Mexican Stratocaster
Fender Mexican Telecaster
Rivera Sedon
tiktok

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2006, 09:00:37 PM »

My favorite magnetic soundhole pickup.  Make sure you're using the Sunrise interface box with it though, then route it to your EQ system.
sdelsolray

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2006, 12:57:39 AM »

What do you all think of the sunrise pick up?  I've been using it in my C10 but I don't realy like the sound

It's the acoustic mag pickup by which all others are judged.  Massive magnet, great mag sound.  There's nothing special about Sunrise's solid state preamp, there are numerous preamps that work great with the Sunrise.  Sunrise's tube preamp is another matter - that's a wonderful (if rare) piece of kit.  I used a Sunrise for a couple of years, along with an SBT and/or mic.  I lkied it better in a blend than alone.  Because of its size and mass, it affects the unplugged sound of your guitar (it diminishes the sound) more than other mags.

I current use a Baggs M-1 mag in one of my guitars (with an SBT and internal mic).  The M-1 is not a Sunrise  - not as mag-like.

If you want the classiic mag sound, the Sunrise is the way to go.  Just ask Leo Kottke or Michael Hedges (well, you can't ask Michael, but you get what I mean).
dberch
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2006, 01:12:47 AM »

If you play in very loud situatiions, the Sunrise is one of the best ways to go. Sunrise excells at fat sound in loud situaions.  But it doesn't sound much like an acousit without lots of help (processing, EQ, preamp, etc). If you don't play in loud venues/bands, then you might consider some of the better sounding pickups like K&K, Ibeam, d-Tar, B-band, etc. 

David

So many songs - so little time...
Finger Picking good Folk, Blues, Gospel, Roots, Rags, and Originals
www.davidberchtold.com
laravec10

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2006, 03:03:13 AM »

Currently I'm going through a TRACE ELLIOTT TAG-1 preamp and a nano compressor.  Would a differant preamp bring out more of the natural tones?  (Like a Solstice or a BBE Acoustimax preamp?

Laravec10
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: