Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need advice to electrify my OM09  (Read 1201 times)
Darth freudius

Ignore
« on: October 16, 2006, 10:15:10 AM »

Hello !! 

I own a OM-09 with no electronic and I would like to a add it to make recordings at home.

I've already a static mic but I want to add a pickup to increase the precision whereas the mic add depth and sust.
Two solution in my opinion :
1) add a simple pickup and use my mic and mix them together 
2) add a pickup + internal mic (blender) : all in one solution 

It's only to make home recordings, with the best quality sound (no live).

What do you think of the blender system ? Do you have advices about a good pickup ? a good blender (I've heard Fishman can't fit into the guitar due to X-braces  ) ?

Many thanks in advance 

David
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2006, 12:38:22 PM »

Get an Ibeam and use an external mic.With the internal mic you don't the airiness of an external mic.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
Darth freudius

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2006, 12:57:38 PM »

Thanks !!

Any idea of which IBeam ? Active/passive ?

Sorry, big newbie there 
kdonovan

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2006, 09:07:27 PM »

DF,
           The active pick up will have a battery that will attach somewhere inside the guitar. The passive pick up will probably require some outside pre amp  especially if you use long cords to get the sound you are looking for. I have an Om-09 that has an active UST pick up, together with a mic I can get some great sounds.  I think there is  some I beams in the Buy and sell section here on the forum as Unclrob has suggested.

Good luck

kdonovan

kdonovan

drathbun
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2006, 12:28:47 AM »

Get an Ibeam and use an external mic.With the internal mic you don't the airiness of an external mic.

+1

I use an iBeam active and a large diaphram condenser microphone combination. It is a wonderful combination.

2016 Martin 000-28vs 12 fret

2014 Taylor 814ce

2014 Godin Multiac Classical

2012 Gibson "The Golden Age 1930's" SJ200

2012 Squier Vintage Modified 70's Jazz Bass

2010 Gretsch Electromatic G5122DC

2009 Taylor GA3-12e

2004 Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster

1981 Rickenbacker 320JG

1968 Yamaha FG150 Red La
Darth freudius

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2006, 01:11:59 PM »

Thanks !!

Ibeam is not a UST but a AST, right ? 

Does AST have same precision as UST pickup ? I mean AST and MIC have almost same function, adding deph and sust .... whereas UST is more designed to get strings attack, consequently the sound is much close to Electric, quite cold, in oposite to the warmer AST/Mic. Maybe I'm wrong 

If I use IBeam + Mic, maybe I would not the advantage of UST

My luthier recommend me also a B-Band A2.2 dual source (UST + AST), what do you think ? 

Sorry for all these questions, not easy to choose    Does anyone have few sample audio clip with I-Beam, B-Band ... with no effect ?  :UND>
sdelsolray

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2006, 02:25:48 PM »

http://www.dougyoungguitar.com/pickuptest.htm
Tio Kimo

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2006, 05:32:13 PM »

WOW,that is a GREAT resource, exactly what I have been looking for(audio comparison site). Can anyone verify the statement regarding the fishman blend and it's inability to fit the larrivee? For my needs, a decent system that allows me to plug in is adequate, and the fishman seems to give flexibility and decent quality at a good price, without drilling or changing appearances (much), so that's the way I was leaning. I've got an L-03 cutaway.

thanks, and please post back with your decision/conclusion!

It is never too late to be what you might have been. - Eliot

2004 LV-03/Fishman Ellipse
2010 RS-2/G3 'buckers

honorable mentions: Heritage 535, Bourgeois/Washburn D55 "Cherokee"
Zach
Admin

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2006, 04:45:29 PM »

I'm not a fan of using a pickup to record, but the K&K Pure Western is the best I've heard.  If you go that route, I would suggest an external mic instead of something internal.  Internal mics can be nice live to add a little bit of air, but for recording they're going to sound boxy. 

Zach
Darth freudius

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2006, 08:22:31 AM »

Thanks !!

I've given up the Ibeam pickup for the moment. The problem with K&K Mini Western is it must be glued to be fixed under the bridge... and removing it would be (almost) impossible later. I saw many people changed their pickup either to upgrade or because they dislike the sound...  It's shame because everybody there love their K&K system... and I can't know in advance if I would be happy with it 

My choice would be the B-Band system (A2.2 : AST/UST), that Larrivee used on its guitars so I assume it was not a bad system I can use UST + my external mic to make recordings at home, and if someday I've the chance to play for a live, I could use UST with AST (without an external mic)... What's your opinion ? 

Thanks again for all the advices !

PS : Does somebody make a fingerstyle recording with a Larrivee and K&K system (with no voice) ?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: