Best humidifier for guitar

Started by WorksInTheory, October 05, 2006, 12:05:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hi everyone - what is the best humidifier for guitars. Currently I am using the travel soap containers with drilled holes and sponges technique which my luthier showed me. However in this Minnesota winter I wonder if that cuts it or I need a soundhole humidifier too. If so - which one is the best. I have seen Planet Waves, Dampit, Martin's version of Dampit which costs less, Oasis, and Kyser. On top of your recommendation - where is the cheapest to get it as I will need a few of them - probably one for each guitar.

Thanks!
04 Larrivee DV-03E | 00 Tacoma JK50CE | 08 CA GXi | 08 CA Cargo XS-CE
used to own:
99 Guild F47CE (Westerly) | 02 Martin SPJC-16R | 03 Martin DC-16RGTE | 03 Martin MC-16GTE | 05 Seagull MJM6 w/ QII | 01 Washburn EA20SDL | 02 Guild JF-30 Sunburst | 00 Taylor LOTF 410MACE | 02 Tacoma JF21 | 08 CA 7M-CE (GX)

I use a soap dish and sound hole humidifier here in Colorado.
Tried the dampit, kyser and oasis.  Any of them do the trick.  Oasis seems to go the longest between refills.  Dampits are cheap and I find pretty easy to use.  I like the kyser the least but they are good if you leave the guitar out on the stand for a couple hours because they trap the humidity in. 

-josh
Larrivee P-03MT
Martin 00
Epiphone Bluesmaster

The best protection is to keep the room your instruments stay in at a proper humidity level. A whole room humidifer is about the same cost as 2~3 in guitar humidifiers.
Ron

Quote from: ronmac on October 05, 2006, 07:22:25 AM
The best protection is to keep the room your instruments stay in at a proper humidity level. A whole room humidifer is about the same cost as 2~3 in guitar humidifiers.

Does that work if you don't keep your guitars out on a stand but in the case? Or would you then take it out and put it on the stand. I guess I can use one of the bedrooms and close the door and run a humidifier in there. I did that once and it just seemed to make the room real misty - didn't know if it would make everything in there moldy.
used to own:
99 Guild F47CE (Westerly) | 02 Martin SPJC-16R | 03 Martin DC-16RGTE | 03 Martin MC-16GTE | 05 Seagull MJM6 w/ QII | 01 Washburn EA20SDL | 02 Guild JF-30 Sunburst | 00 Taylor LOTF 410MACE | 02 Tacoma JF21 | 08 CA 7M-CE (GX)

You will need to monitor the relative humidity of the room. If it is kept at the proper level there should be no mold problem. "Misty" is too high.
Ron

Actually, I also use a room humidifier.  However, I use it more for the family and the guitars just benefit from it. 

Here is my take on the humidity issue... I don't think of it as "humidifying the guitar".  It is more about humidifying and environment.  In real dry places, such as Denver Colorado, it is actually easier to control that enviornment in a case then it is to control a larger enviornment of a room. 

It is actually very easy to keep a case stable.  First you have to remember that it is also made of wood.  If your case gets dry, then it will suck up the moisture instead of your guitar.  You should be able to put a hygrometer in an empty close case and get determine what the humidity is.  If it is below 35%, then a simple case humidifier is not going to cut it.  The easiest way to bring it up, is to leave your empty open case in the bathroom while you shower.  Do this 2-3 times and you have a cozy stable environment for your guitar that can be easily maintained with 1 or 2 case humidifiers. 

-josh
Larrivee P-03MT
Martin 00
Epiphone Bluesmaster

So I am in Minnesota where the winters are brutal. So it will be dry. My house is 3500 sq ft - probably 2800sqft if you don't count the basement. It's an open floor plan.

So using a room humidifier would be tough unless I use a bedroom - which I can. It's just that I am more likely to use it if I see them and can just reach for a guitar.... and there's no way my wife's gonna let me store all of them in our bedroom!... well then it wouldn't be a problem since then I would be sleeping in the guest bedroom anyways?

As far as case humidifier - so back to the original question also - which one of the mentioned are the best - I got a vote for Dampit so far I think - and where do I get them the cheapest?
used to own:

Quote from: WorksInTheory on October 05, 2006, 08:01:25 AM
Does that work if you don't keep your guitars out on a stand but in the case? Or would you then take it out and put it on the stand. I guess I can use one of the bedrooms and close the door and run a humidifier in there. I did that once and it just seemed to make the room real misty - didn't know if it would make everything in there moldy.

As long as the guitar in the case is in the room being humidified that wouldn't be a problem. But just having it in the case will not protect the guitar from drying out. In fact, the case itself absorbs a lot of the moisture from in-guitar and in-case humidifiers.
2016 Martin 000-28vs 12 fret

2014 Taylor 814ce

2014 Godin Multiac Classical

2012 Gibson "The Golden Age 1930's" SJ200

2012 Squier Vintage Modified 70's Jazz Bass

2010 Gretsch Electromatic G5122DC

2009 Taylor GA3-12e

2004 Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster

1981 Rickenbacker 320JG

1968 Yamaha FG150 Red La

The San Francisco Bay
The Dude abides.

If you have the type of furnace that circulates air, then just humidifying a single room by itself is impossible.
Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519

I use the planet waves, never had a problem with them and a lot less hassle than a room humidifier. But I live in Tennessee so it's not that dry. I use to have a warm mist humidifier, it broke. Then I got a cool mist and it grew mold, and made me sick. So I've been doing without a room humidifier, I may end up with a warm mist in the winter though.

this entire subject makes my head want to explode. just too confusing. its mainly the reason why ive never had a humidifier. ive also had no negative results from not using one, so what is the point? ive always heard (and it makes complete sense to me) that you never expose your guitar to something that would make you uncomfortable - i.e. harsh heat/cold/extreme dryness or moisture.

i am convinced that its mostly hype.

(flamesuit on)

:guitar

Quote from: the_sound_of_acoustic_soul on October 06, 2006, 12:02:36 AM
this entire subject makes my head want to explode. just too confusing. its mainly the reason why ive never had a humidifier. ive also had no negative results from not using one, so what is the point? ive always heard (and it makes complete sense to me) that you never expose your guitar to something that would make you uncomfortable - i.e. harsh heat/cold/extreme dryness or moisture.

i am convinced that its mostly hype.

(flamesuit on)

It's really pretty simple.  Guitars and other wooden musical instruments, particularly ones made of solid woods like Larrivees, are happiest and most stable in a fairly narrow humidity band.  While keeping them outside of that humidity band might not, in a particular instance, cause lasting damage to them, it might in others, and at any rate they won't sound as good and will manifest structural problems like warpage, shrinkage, cracking, and the like.  Not being warm-blooded or able to put on and take off clothes, they're less adaptable than we are. 

Even in Seattle, it gets really dry sometimes.  My local Larry dealer's space is pretty dry, so when I got my OM-03R earlier this year the fret ends were protruding pretty badly, enough that I thought at first they'd need to be dressed.  I gave humidification a try, though, and within a week the problem was sollved.

I use the Planet Waves soundhole humidifier on all my guitars that need humidification.  They're secure and dead simple to use, and a single "charge" lasts a week or two.  Keep a jug of distilled water around and you're good to go for years.

Trent

Quote from: Trent in WA on October 07, 2006, 11:10:48 AM
Even in Seattle, it gets really dry sometimes.  My local Larry dealer's space is pretty dry, so when I got my OM-03R earlier this year the fret ends were protruding pretty badly, enough that I thought at first they'd need to be dressed.  I gave humidification a try, though, and within a week the problem was sollved.

I use the Planet Waves soundhole humidifier on all my guitars that need humidification.  They're secure and dead simple to use, and a single "charge" lasts a week or two.  Keep a jug of distilled water around and you're good to go for years.

Trent

Does that soundhole humidifier also take care of the neck - I wouldn't think it would get to the neck?
used to own:

Quote from: WorksInTheory on October 07, 2006, 11:27:03 AM
Does that soundhole humidifier also take care of the neck - I wouldn't think it would get to the neck?

The short answer..."no"...to deal with this...I use the planet waves sound hole humidifier for the body of the guitar then the old soap dish and wet spomge technique up around the head stock...seems to work fine...and I live in VT and heat with wood...the hunidity in our haouse in the dead of winter can be in 20% range!!!  I am considering a home humidifier this year... :thumb

:cheers

Blue
OM-05MT "Mary Helen"
Silvercreek T-170
Harmony Herd (1203, 162, 165, 6362)

It gets dry enough to mess-up guitars even in Portland, OR in the winter. I try to keep the house humidified. Kevin Ryan's site has a good humidity chart (this guy builds beautiful guitars) http://www.ryanguitars.com/News%20and%20Events/Guitar_tech_tips/Humidity_Chart.htm.
L-03R
LS-05

Quote from: WorksInTheory on October 07, 2006, 11:27:03 AM

If you're keeping the guitar in its case, it'll help somewhat.  (At least it seems to for me.)  If you're having problems with your neck, just do Blue's trick or get one of the Herco case humidifiers and leave it in the headstock area. 

Do you guys keep your soundhole humidifiers in the guitar whenever you put it in the case? Or just every once in a while? Is there any risk of overhumidification from a soundhole humidifier?
"In every life we have some trouble, when you worry you make it double don't worry, be happy."

Quote from: Elohnine on October 12, 2006, 07:08:09 PM
Do you guys keep your soundhole humidifiers in the guitar whenever you put it in the case? Or just every once in a while? Is there any risk of overhumidification from a soundhole humidifier?

This isn't enough water in a single charge of a dampit or PlanetWaves to overhumidify ANYTHING! This is why I don't like the soundhole solution. You have to keep them charged. If you miss a day or two the guitar goes unhumidified. I humidify the room with a warm mist humidifier. It is such a great, low maintenance solution! They are relatively cheap, have automatic hygrometers built in. Just keep adding the (distilled) water and clean it once a month with CLR.
2016 Martin 000-28vs 12 fret

2014 Taylor 814ce

2014 Godin Multiac Classical

2012 Gibson "The Golden Age 1930's" SJ200

2012 Squier Vintage Modified 70's Jazz Bass

2010 Gretsch Electromatic G5122DC

2009 Taylor GA3-12e

2004 Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster

1981 Rickenbacker 320JG

1968 Yamaha FG150 Red La

Quote from: the_sound_of_acoustic_soul on October 06, 2006, 12:02:36 AM

Well, where do you live?  Some people don't live in places where the climate will damage the guitar.  Others do.  If you have to use central heating in the winter you need something.  What's so confusing about that?