Fret Height? Added some pictures...

Started by bleumax, October 04, 2006, 06:39:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I'm looking into a guitar purchase and I've been told by the seller when he brought the guitar into the shop to have the action lowered, the shop "lowered" his frets without his permission. The seller believes that there's plenty of life left in the frets. Is there a height that provides ample fret life before the guitar needs to be refretted?

I was reading Frank Ford's article on the set-up and he mentions that most frets have a standard height of 0.04" to 0.045". I guess my question is how low can the frets before they're considered to be within the range of "normal." Thanks.
Paragon
Gibson
Webber

On some guitars very low.I have a client that has played on the same guitar foever.He badly needed a refret,so I did it.Then he said he could no longer play the guitar that the frets were to tall{there was almost nothing there}.I dress the frets lower and he sad it was better but still to high.I took them down to almost nothing and he was very happy.Less then a year later we needed to replace them again.This time I used stainless steel frets dressed them down to almost nothing.Its been 18 months or so and no groove's or dents.
So the ? is how low do you want them,does it play comfy for you.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Rob, thanks for the helpful reply. Unfortunately, since I can't see the guitar in person before making the purchase, it's hard for me to assess whether it will be the right height for me.
Paragon
Gibson
Webber

I received some pictures. Should I be concerned with the fret height of these frets? Any insight would be greatly appreciated as I need to make a decision today.

First Fret

Second Fret

THird Fret

Paragon
Gibson
Webber

The look low to me in the photos, but I'm not sure you can make an informed judgement that way.  You really have to play the guitar.  As Rob pointed out, some people prefer really low frets.  I played a Telecaster somebody was passing around at a jam session the other night, and I could barely play it.  When I went to bend a string it slipped out from under my finger.  But the owner felt it 'plays like butter.' 

"To each his own," said the blind man as he kissed the cow.

From the pix then don't look too low.But I've got to agree with Ratishna.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

looks ok to me. The ones I usually worry about though are the first 3 frets on the high side.
Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519

thanks for the all the help! the guitar is now on its way to me. i should have it by tuesday.
Paragon
Gibson
Webber

Well, do you plan on telling us what is it that you bought or what? :laughin:
:nana_guitar
2005 Larrivée LV-03RE
2003 Larrivée Rosewood Special Edition Parlor
1998 Fender American Std Stratocaster
1991 Vantage VS-5 (beater)

oops, my bad. i have pre-micarta martin 000-16sgt w/ waverly tuners on the way. i know, i know...it's not a larrivee. i'm still kicking myself for selling the larrivee l-03. ask java_vern...it is something special.

Paragon
Gibson
Webber