Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 1 3/4" neck electric guitars?  (Read 2763 times)
HelterSkelter

Ignore
« on: October 04, 2006, 02:12:50 PM »

Hi,

Does anyone know of any wider neck (1 3/4") electric guitars?

I am an acoustic guitar player (did a fair amount of playing on electric, though) not willing to spend big bucks on electric (saving to spend it on good acoustics, naturally). But I do like to have a solidbody/thinline to practice daily on (especially when loudness is a concern). My Godin SDxt (1 11/16" neck, a good guitar and another Canadian!) feels weird now after acquiring LV-04E.

The only electrics I know that have 1 3/4" necks are some Gretsch's and custom jazz guitars. Even Godin Multiac solidbody acoustics' necks are narrow. Maybe there's a thinline acoustic with a wide neck out there?

Any insight is much appreciated,
  Gleb.

LV-04E
bhika
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2006, 02:23:07 PM »

G&L offers a 1 3/4" nut W/ 12" radius, but the string spacing at the bridge is the same as their 1 11/16". 

jeff

Larrivee 00-03MT Forum IV  #30 of 29
whiskeyjack

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2006, 03:28:07 AM »

I'm searching for a thinline Telecaster of some kind with a 1 11/16 nut and a 9 foot INCH rosewood fretboard radius and a very shallow neck profile.  'Hard to find all those components on one guitar.  SO. . . . my plan is to either build one from a finished body  or to buy a stock Fender thinline and swap the neck for the one I need from All Parts.com.  'Not sure which way I'll go just yet but I know what you mean.  The Telecaster seems to be the more natural transition between acoustic and electric for us acoustic players.  I think their necks are more acoustic than electric IF the radius is larger than the usual 7 1/4 foot INCH radius.

Good luck.

You can check out allparts.com to see if they have a necks that can be swapped.  They do make a 1 3/4" nutwidth for a strat and a Tele I think.  Radius is 12 feet inches.

whiskeyjack:  Perisoreus canadensis.  aka, gray jay, whiskey jay, whiskeyjack or timber jay.   A small, friendly bird of the northern coniferous forest.
ronmac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2006, 12:48:17 PM »

great reason to build your own

Ron

Hoser Rob

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2006, 09:13:37 PM »

When you say "not willing to spend big bucks" I'm not exactly sure what that means.  The above mentioned options, like any I can think of, aren't exactly rock bottom.  Cheap electrics are built with young (small handed) beginners in mind.

If you want to spend a bit more, Warmoth will sell you a variety of nut widths and neck shapes.  They come with compound radii but will do a variety of radii as an option.  Actually that'd be a big selling point for me, more than nut width.  They'll also finish it as an option ... you can tung oil an aftermarket neck but oiled necks are humidity magnets and are a lot more likely to warp.

Unfortunately none of those are really cheap options.  I have trouble with the necks on cheap electrics (and many not so cheap) too.  More because of the back of the neck though ... my hands have big palms and I need something to puch against.
whiskeyjack

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2006, 09:57:22 PM »

great reason to build your own
Like I need another reason to spend money!! 

you can tung oil an aftermarket neck but oiled necks are humidity magnets and are a lot more likely to warp.

Am I ever glad you said that.  I was planning on using oil on a custom neck!!  What you say makes sense.

Without too much more hijacking. . . .the finished body I want is $475.  My neck preference is another $200 complete with rosewood, shallow profile and a 12 foot inch radius.  The end product will easily be $1000.  Whicchchchh. . . . . .ain't that bad for a custom guitar.  I'll go away now. 

whiskeyjack:  Perisoreus canadensis.  aka, gray jay, whiskey jay, whiskeyjack or timber jay.   A small, friendly bird of the northern coniferous forest.
bhika
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2006, 11:57:35 AM »

I could be wrong and often am, but I believe neck radius is measured in inches not feet.

jeff

Larrivee 00-03MT Forum IV  #30 of 29
dgrose

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2006, 01:40:58 PM »

Does anyone know of any wider neck (1 3/4") electric guitars?

The Godin ACS is a solid body with a REAL wide neck - almost 2".
It's a nylon-string classical - but you might be able to re-fit it with steel strings.

bluemango79

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2006, 12:10:26 AM »

The Hofner Verythin is a 335 style guitar with a 1 3/4" nut width and a Fender scale.  Excellent German-made guitar, very versatile, thinner than a 335 and very light.  Hofner Verythins seem to have crappy resale value, because they show up on the internet auction sites for reasonable prices.  Maybe not what you are looking for or too expensive, but check them out.  I have a Hofner Verthin Standard and it is just wonderful.

"abeunt studia in mores"
[practices zealously pursued pass into habits]

Larrivee D-03MT
Tacoma ER22C-E4
Goodall MhCJMh
Takamine EG-531SC
Lowden O-23C
Randy_R
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2006, 12:28:22 AM »

here's the place to get the parts you need to build what you want. http://www.warmoth.com/

Good people to deal with too...

Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519
whiskeyjack

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2006, 03:13:42 AM »

I could be wrong and often am, but I believe neck radius is measured in inches not feet.

I have no idea what I was thinking about last night when I posted that.  You're right.  A fretboard with a 9-INCH radius has a segment of the perimeter of an 18-inch circle.   Sorry folks.  Brain fart.       I'll edit it right now.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: