Suggestions to amplify my guitar

Started by ttchen, September 30, 2006, 07:25:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I have a CA X Guitar equipped with I-Mix.  I have been using it unplugged for our worship.  I know soon we'll need to amplify the guitar.  So any suggestions that have worked for you?  I need to know which guitar amp, direct box, or any equipment to consider.  Thanks!!
Larrivee 12 Fret OM-03 Forum Guitar
Walden T550 Travel Guitar
Psalms 96 "For the LORD is great, greatly to be praised"

most folks will tell you to get a LR Baggs PADI unit to use as a DI and let the soundman do the rest. i know some folks who use these and they get great sound.

i played in church for many years with two different guitars: a higher-end ovation and my larrivee dread with k&k western pickup. on both guitars i simply plugged into the house DIs and worked with the soundman to shape my sound, all the while using the house onstage monitors for my use. i have never owned an acoustic amp and dont see the need to, especially if playing in church is going to be the primary setting. most places have the ability to amplify your sound in a decent manner.

in order to save some money and the trouble of lugging around needless gear, work with what is presently there and see if you can use that. if not, i recommend getting a Baggs unit, or some other high-quality DI unit for sound-shaping and a bit of volume control onstage.

My suggestion is to use the minimum amount of equipment to achieve the desired result. If your venue has good equipment and an experienced sound tech you may need nothing.

Adding additional "boxes" can complicate the situation. Each component will have its own character, and if not used wisely can cause as much grief as relief.

Can you explain the present setup?
Ron

Thanks for your input.  I will look into the LR Baggs DI.
We only have one keyboard and one Roland keyboard amp.  That's it.  We are a new church, I mean really new.  So we are building everything from scratch.
Should we save the money now and get a portable sound system that will do a little of everything?
Larrivee 12 Fret OM-03 Forum Guitar
Walden T550 Travel Guitar
Psalms 96 "For the LORD is great, greatly to be praised"

a little mixing board plugged into that keyboard amp might give you a few more options  :guitar

Good luck
kdonovan
kdonovan

Quote from: ttchen on October 01, 2006, 09:05:28 AM
We only have one keyboard and one Roland keyboard amp.  That's it.  We are a new church, I mean really new.  So we are building everything from scratch.
Should we save the money now and get a portable sound system that will do a little of everything?

I guess it depends on the makeup of your ensemble, plus you should consider possible growth of that ensemble over time.  A PA should certainly be considered.

Quote from: ttchen on October 01, 2006, 09:05:28 AM

if you have the means, you should get a decent board with some monitors and mics/booms.  some music stores will work deals when setting up from scratch. also, dont forget about carvin. they sell factory direct with great prices for things like this. for now, just use what you got, but when the stage is fully powered, consider a good DI. there are good DIs cheaper than the Baggs unit, but you wont get the sound-shaping. its up to you and your needs/wants.