Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: signal chains...  (Read 802 times)
Dan

Ignore
« on: September 22, 2006, 01:23:59 AM »

Hey ya'll

You folks have been a big help so far and now I have another question. What would you all suggest for a good quality signal chain outside of the guitar after I have a passive undersaddle pickup put in my D-50? Any good products out there to help make the guitar sound more natural? Keep it in a reasonable price range. Something I could request for Christmas or something like that.

Thanks

Dan

Dan
sdelsolray

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2006, 01:36:04 AM »

Although there are probably a few questions you might answer first, regarding your musical styles, right hand techniques and live playing situations, here's some suggestions to get things started:

1)  Basic:  Ultrasound AG 30 acoustic amp and a decent TS cable, no longer than 10 feet.  About $225.
2)  A little more than basic:  Ultrasound AG 50DS3 acoustic amp and a decent TS cable, no longer than 10 feet.  About $525.
3)  Mid level:  A D-TAR Mama Bear or Fishman Aura, with either of the above amps, and two quality cables.  $600 to $925.
Dan

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2006, 02:42:43 AM »

I do alot of strumming, I lead worship at my church and play very regularly. I am getting a D-50 within the next week and a half or so. I play at relatively high volume levels I guess you would say. (im really not sure what is considered to be a relatively high volume level.) My tak has no feedback problems (but I use a feedback buster) but my friends alvarez fd60 has horrible feedback problems for some reason. Um...I dont normally do alot of percussive stuff while playing but I guess the option would be good. Um I do a little picking just for effect and to make the worship set a little more intimate. If there is any other question I can answer let me know.

What exactly is a TS cable?

Thanks

Dan

Dan
sdelsolray

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2006, 02:09:58 AM »

A TS cable is a two wire cable with 1/4" jacks on each end.

Since you're playing at church, and I'm assuming the church has a PA with monitors, why would you need an acoustic amp?
ronmac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2006, 11:36:33 AM »

What exactly is a TS cable?

The TS "Tip-sleeve" cable (2 conductor "phone jack") This cable is for unbalanced signals.  These cables should be kept as short as possible.  Keep them under 12 feet and away from power transformers (wall warts) or they may pick up dreaded hum and ruin your audio signal.

The TRS "Tip-ring-sleeve" cable (2-conductor plus ground)  This is a cable for balanced mono signals or unbalanced two channel or stereo signals.

Ron

Caleb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2006, 10:21:34 PM »

Since you're playing at church, and I'm assuming the church has a PA with monitors, why would you need an acoustic amp?
not sure about this fellow's church, but some that ive been in have less than desirable pa monitors. i know one i played in had monitors for the mid 80s, and this was just a few months ago. the sound was dreadful, a distraction at times. but if would have had an amp, i would have been the only one with decent sound, while the others used the cheap wedges from the hairband hayday....so we all got to sound terrible together!

but..... if there is a decent pa setup, with some decent monitors, a good guitar and a nice DI are the way to go. no way would i lug around an acoustic amp if i didnt have to do so.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: