Wilco.....anyone?

Started by Caleb, September 27, 2006, 05:43:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

If it's the same pics I'm thinking of...it's a santa cruz.

Quote from: Parlor Picker on October 17, 2007, 04:03:45 AM
Recent pictures of Jeff Tweedy show him playing a 12-fret, probably 000 style guitar.  Anybody know what it is??

I don't know if that helps much  :blush:

OM-03 MT Custom (Cree Studios "Fish Guitar")

Quote from: jwb on October 17, 2007, 06:58:04 AM
If it's the same pics I'm thinking of...it's a santa cruz.

Thanks a lot - I was thinking along those lines but looking for confirmation.

Larrivée Limited Edition Rosewood Parlor (2003)
plus various other acoustic guitars and one ukulele

Quote from: stubby on October 01, 2006, 05:46:08 AM
If I've got this right, "No Depression" was a Carter Family song written in the '30's. Uncle Tupelo used this as the title of one of their cd's. The term "no depression" is more or less synonymous with the the "alt.country" movement which was seen by some to have been spearheaded by Uncle Tupelo.

As for the magazine, No Depression is essentially the alt.country bible. I've been reading it for years, and it's turned me on to a number of relatively obscure artists in the alt.country vein. I recommend it highly. For more info on that, you can google the no depression website. 
yes that's right on the original song. about going to heaven, where's there's no depression, carter family. New lost city ramblers did a great version, as always, nailing that old time sound.

"I'm going where there's no Depression
To a better land that's free from care
I'll leave this world of toil and trouble
My home's in heaven
I'm going there"

I'm not familier with the movement but I think I will be. I've forever been into the early country rock roots of sixties and the bands that paved way for eagles. I know some of the new stuff but need to get hipper. Thanks for reminding me of that.
10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.

Quote from: the creature on October 16, 2007, 08:34:25 PM
That's exactly what happened to me when I first listened to them.  But I stuck with it, mainly because I couldn't believe all the fuss over such a crappy band. One day I just "got it" and have liked them ever since.  Summerteeth is one of the best albums in my collection, in any genre.  YMMV
Yes! Sometimes you have to give stuff a little time as we all get programmed as to what we're suppossed to like. I started listening to old blues and Jazz when I was seventeen because of players that kept getting refered to as influences. It took a while, maybe even more so with poor recording quality, but then as you say, I got it.
The Charlie Christian stuff is still amongest may favorite. Now I have to be careful not to discriminate against new stuff!

Wow, this thread really came back to life..... :thumbsup

I think that 12-fret that Tweedy plays is some sort of old Martin. If it's the one with the LR Baggs soundhole pickup, I believe it's an old Martin something-or-other.    It's got a nice dark, woody tone that sounds great for his songs. 

I've got a couple of Golden Smog records (Blood on the Slacks and Another Fine Day).  I don't think Tweedy appears on Blood on the Slacks, but I could be wrong.  From what I understand, he's sort of in and out of GS.  He doesn't appear to have any songwriting credits on Blood on the Slacks.  Golden Smog is a band that you really have to want to get into, IMO.  The music and styles of the songs can be so strange at times.  I've gotten to where I really like Another Fine Day, but I'm still working on Blood on the Slacks. 

I've not been able to score any Loose Fur's stuff yet.

I ordered I Am Trying To Break Your Heart (the documentary) from my Blockbuster online account, but it's not made it's way to me yet.  I've heard nothing but great things about it, so I'm really looking forward to seeing it.

I have most of Wico's albums now....I think the only one I don't have is "Being There".  I guess it's just me, but I have never seen what the big deal is about Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. Don't get me wrong, it's a great album; but to my ear, Summerteeth is a much stronger record, song for song.  I think I even like A Ghost is Born better than YHF. But, what do I know, YHF is the one that really put them on the map for the masses (if you can really call them on the map). 

I'll also say that Kicking Television (double live set) is THE best live recording I've ever heard by any band in any genre.  These guys really know how to make it work live.  I'd love to see them sometime, but haven't had the chance yet.  The tickets sell out in about 4 or 5 hours when they come to my town.  They have a serious cult following.

Quote from: the creature on October 17, 2007, 11:40:49 AM
I've got a couple of Golden Smog records (Blood on the Slacks and Another Fine Day).  I don't think Tweedy appears on Blood on the Slacks, but I could be wrong.  From what I understand, he's sort of in and out of GS.  He doesn't appear to have any songwriting credits on Blood on the Slacks.  Golden Smog is a band that you really have to want to get into, IMO.  The music and styles of the songs can be so strange at times.  I've gotten to where I really like Another Fine Day, but I'm still working on Blood on the Slacks. 

I've not been able to score any Loose Fur's stuff yet.

I'll also say that Kicking Television (double live set) is THE best live recording I've ever heard by any band in any genre. 

Re: Golden Smog - The Weird Tales album is quite strong actually, and the Tweedy contributions are the best of the set. Look for "Please tell my brother" as the Tweedy standout.

You must check out loose fur. You really get to see a different, looser side of Jeff Tweedy and can i reiterate, Jim O'Rourke is an amazing composer/guitarist/songwriter. I think you can order directly from their label www.dragcity.com.

... And as much as I love Wilco, Kicking Television is not nearly the best live album I've ever heard. If you really want to hear a band in their prime element, let me recommend:

The Name of This Band Is Talking Heads by far my favorite live album that I've ever heard.

Also recommend

Frank Zappa - Live at the Fillmore East

and, if you can find it:

Danny Gatton - Redneck Jazz Explosion

Anyway, I'm glad people like Larrivee and Wilco.

Oh, and Jeff Tweedy definitely plays a Santa Cruz, although he is also listed as sponsored by Breedlove, you can see the Santa Cruz logo on the headstock of the guitar he plays. That being said, I'm sure he has a multitude of guitars to play, so that Martin may be in there somewhere or another.

Also for all of you who will never buy a wilco album, you can hear their music in a string of volkswagen commercials that have been airing. so you've probably been tapping your toes to their tunes without even realizing it.

As you can see, I can go on at length about bands I like.
Larrivee OM-50 TSB
Customized Fernandes Tele Copy
Godin LG
Carvin Cobalt Rosewood Dread

Here's Loose Fur's "Hey Chicken" from Born Again In The USA. It's a strange, yet compelling video, but the song rocks. Enjoy!

[youtube=425,350]91pz6ZYrQcc[/youtube]

Also, Chinese Apple from their first album:

[youtube=425,350]jDvPIaLgxgo[/youtube]
Larrivee OM-50 TSB
Customized Fernandes Tele Copy
Godin LG
Carvin Cobalt Rosewood Dread

Nice videos....thanks for posting.  I particularly like the last one .   

Speaking of Golden Smog members....  I've heard that Gary Louris has a solo record coming out, or maybe it already did.   But I think I remember seeing a bit about it in No Depression mag a while back.  I'd really like to see the Jayhawks get back together at some point. I got Tim O'Reagan's (Jayhawks drummer) solo CD and it was easily one of the best CDs of last year.  It's as good as any of the Jayhawks stuff and surpasses some IMO. Check it out if you've not already. 

I think this is my first post, but on a long thread about Wilco/Son Volt/Uncle Tupelo I had to respond as I'm a big fan. :)

If you're a fan of acoustic music (and I assume most of us are), Uncle Tupelo's "March 16-20 1992" is definitely worth checking out.  The band got tired of all the crunchy guitars and recorded a purely acoustic record - I think there are only drums on a couple songs (played with brushes).  There's some old folk songs they reworked and also several originals.   It was produced by Peter Buck of R.E.M.  This is the Uncle Tupelo-era stuff I like the most.

My favorite Son Volt record is Trace.  That album really blew me away.  The songs are very heavy/depressing but grew on me in a big way.  One of my favorite records of all time.  I would agree with earlier comments though that Jay Farrar's work hasn't been as interesting over the last few years.

I've got all the Wilco albums and like them all, but my favorite is still "Being There".  I think the songs are better than A.M. while still being accessible, and it's much more "rootsy" than the stuff on Summerteeth where they kind of abandoned the alt country sound. 

Good thread!

Thanks, that sounds good to me.

Had to jump in.  A buddy of mine introduced me to Wilco a couple of months ago with YFH.  I always thought of them as an alt-country band (guess I was just going off Tweedy's association with Uncle Tupelo) so, as you can imagine I was very surprised to hear shades of Pavement and other Indie bands on YFH.

I've bee working my way thru the Wilco CDs.  I've got A Ghost is Born and Sky Blue Sky.  I like them both, but for different reasons.  Sky Bkue Sky is the one I listen to most; the new guitar player is really interesting.

I've got Kicking Television and A.M. on order.

I just got the documentary I Am Trying To Break Your Heart and it was really cool.  If you have a Blockbuster online account you can get it through them.   I really liked watching all the studio footage.  I love to watch albums being made.  I did have to watch it in parts, since there is some foul language and I've got four little ears running around the house.  I recommend it to any fan of Wilco. 

I like Wilco, and have really gotten into a lot of the alt country bands.  The other artists I listen to most on my ITunes are Ryan Adams, Whiskeytown, Gillian Welch, Neko Case, Lucinda Williams, and Steve Earle.  Steve probably isn't totally alt-country, but he's one of my favorites.  Ryan Adams is an incredibly prolific songwriter, and I find most of his stuff to be pretty good.  Neko Case and Gillian Welch are awesome, but definitely an acquired taste.  J
http://www.notableguitars.com
My guitars:

Larrivee OM-50
Fender Strat
Larrivee OM-03MT

I'm actually listening to Neko as I type this.  Fox Confessor Brings the Flood, to be exact.  :smile:  Really good stuff.

I'm a huge Gillian Welch fan.  I think she is brilliant.

I am a fan of Ryan Adams, but I find his stuff to get more mediocre with each album.  He seems to be putting them out too fast and not giving himself enough time to put his all into it.  I thought "29", "Easy Tiger" and even the "Cold Roses" stuff to be pretty boring, in all honesty.  There are some good tracks mixed in there, but I long for the days of "Demolition", "Heartbreaker" and "Gold". 

guitarcrazy --- Do you have his bootleg Suicide Handbook?  That is BRILLIANT stuff.  If you don't have it, give me a PM and we'll work it out. 

I just cannot get into Steve Earle for some reason either.  I have tried, but it just doesn't appeal to me.  He has written some good songs though. 

Being There is excellent - nice collection of Tweedy's songwriting.

Sky Blue Sky is, I believe, their best yet.  The addition of Nels Cline on guitar really filled a gap that kept them from being great.  Songwriting and catchy tunes have always been a hallmark of theirs, but never musical excellence - Nels is a superior guitarist and adds tremendous color to the Wilco sound.

Get Being There - it is worth every penny.

Oh - and as far as female alt. country singers - you CANNOT beat Kelly Willis.  I'm in love.  No really....   :whistling:   :thumbsup

Quote from: LawDogStrgsAttach on January 29, 2008, 10:14:19 PM
Being There is excellent - nice collection of Tweedy's songwriting.

Sky Blue Sky is, I believe, their best yet.  The addition of Nels Cline on guitar really filled a gap that kept them from being great.  Songwriting and catchy tunes have always been a hallmark of theirs, but never musical excellence - Nels is a superior guitarist and adds tremendous color to the Wilco sound.

Get Being There - it is worth every penny.
LawDog....  I dunno, man,  I really like what Nels has brought to their sound, but one cannot ignore the brilliance of Summerteeth and the depth and texture of the sounds they captured on that album.  That is one of the best overall albums I've ever experienced.  I've listened to Sky Blue Sky several times but it's yet to really grab me, with the exception of "What Light", which is just too catchy to not get into.  

I also really love to listen to Kicking Television and am always amazed at how they pull off such a sound live.  Handshake Drugs on that record just builds and builds and becomes a mountain of tones that gets better each second.  Hell is Chrome on that record is completely hypnotic.  I like to listen to that record at night when it's quiet.  Try that one out at moderately low levels when there is no other noise around and you will be amazed.  Truly an amazing live act.

I have still not found a copy of Being There.  But I want one at some point.  Heck, I even like AM.  Oddly enough, YHF is probably my least favorite, and that's the one that put them on the map, so to speak.  
:arrow

Good point, but I will qualify - texture is one thing, I suppose I meant virtuosity that reflected the songwriting and texture already present.  Kinda like the Beatles (poor example, buyt humor me) - music was great (to most folks), but none of the artists was a particularly good instrumentalist.  Hence, they had their own "sound trademark," but lacked a consistent artist that could carry the sound solely with their insturment.

Wilco can do that now.  It took me three spins, but now I LOVE it...heck, about to put it on right now.   :cheers

Hi Creature, I don't have the Suicide Handbook, but have tried to get it on Ebay a few times.  I would love a copy if you can steer me to one.  I actually like Cold Roses, but of his later albums I like Jacksonville City Skyline best.  The duet with Norah Jones is pretty good.  I also like the way he can make a lyric that doesn't rhyme or seem to go at all, yet it somehow works.  In the song "The End" he has this line 'The waitress tries to give me change I say, "Nah, it's cool. Just keep it"'.  It totally doesn't rhyme or seem to belong, but he pulls it off.  In some ways it seems like a caricature of old-time country, but it works for me. 

As for Steve Earle, I always kind of liked him, but after reading his biography I got a lot more interested in his stuff.  His Bio is definitely a Behind the Music episode. It's got all the usual, drugs, heartbreak, jailtime, and redemption.  His bluegrass album is pretty phenomenal, especially when you consider he made it in a week right after he was released from prison.  The Revolution Starts Now is great also, albeit totally political.  J
http://www.notableguitars.com
My guitars:

Larrivee OM-50
Fender Strat
Larrivee OM-03MT