Maybe I should have bought the D 50 instead of the Martin

Started by sutton, September 18, 2006, 10:36:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I finally bought a D 18V instread of the D 50 that I was thinking about.  I have a problem with the fit though. It feels like it's alot thicker than my D 03 which fits me like a glove, even though the specs don't indicate any difference in body thickness.   I also can't seem to get used to the neck after 3 weeks. It is a superb guitar as far as tone goes but I may have to continue my search. My D 03 spoiled me I guess as far as comfort I guess. OH well.... :UND>
Guild DV52
SD 40 MH

Sorry to hear this is not working out just yet. The D18 body  is actually a tad smaller than a Larrivee dread.  The neck is a different story as I'm sure you know as an owner of both. The D18V is big and chunky for me, especially because I'm not accoustomed to the vintage profile. If I weren't building a D18 clone I'd try to tempt you with a trade for my D03R and some $$. If you can stand it I'd suggest giving it some time before throwing more money into the quest for that elusive all time keeper. The bad news is that you will take a hit if you bought the 18V new. The good news is that Martins have excellent comparative resale value and used D50s do show up nce in awhile.

I love both guitars. Recently I had the opportunity to play a 1936 Martin D-18 in good condition. I would say that the Larrivee D-50 sounded much more like this instrument than the new Martin D-18V. Strange but true.