Larrivee at the International Finger Style Guitar Championships...

Started by acoustic6, September 18, 2006, 10:10:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just returned from a trip to Winfield, Kansas for the 35th anniversary of the Walnut Valley Music Festival and WOW, what a show.  I only had time to see the finger style contest on Thursday and see a few bluegrass performers but I was in awe the entire time.

So many amazingly talented guitar players!  3rd place was a kid from Quebec and played just like Don Ross.  I really thought he was going to win it after each of his performances were flawless at least to my ears.  2nd place went to another Canadian from BC who was also very impressive and 1st place was from Portland.  This guy was really amazing.  Doug Smith was his name and the guitar he chose to take home from the contest...................Larrivee LV 10!  I think the winner has picked the Larrivee the past few years in a row.  Also to choose from was a Gallahger OM and a Triggs Jumbo.  All beautiful guitars but nice to see the winner pick up the Larrivee!

If you've never been to the festival it is worth the trip! 
1986 Larrivee L-05

Was that Erik Mongrain? Good for him! :guitar
2005 Larrivée LV-03RE
2003 Larrivée Rosewood Special Edition Parlor
1998 Fender American Std Stratocaster
1991 Vantage VS-5 (beater)

check out the archives on their website.  Quite a history and you'll be surprised to see some of the names over the past 35 years.

www.wvfest.com
1986 Larrivee L-05

Though not noted in the history, Stuart Mossman helped develop the festival.  It was right in his back yard and for several years he donated one of his guitars to be given to the champ.

Doug took third last year and won a Taylor. Glad to see he's moving up.

Don't think it's going to replace his Goodalls or McIlroy but you never know.
Don

Larrivée D-09BW
Larrivée LV-03BW
Larrivée OM-03K
Larrivée LV-03-12
Martin D-18 RIP :crying:
Mossman Tennessee 12
Gretsch Chet Atkins DC
Gretsch Tennessee Rose
Fender Am. Stratocaster
Guild X-170T Manhattan
Fender 90s Telecaster Custom