Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: For Those Interested In Getting Into Video.  (Read 746 times)
orsino
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: May 06, 2004, 11:00:39 PM »

Here's the rundown on setups I've tried:

1. Recording directly to digital video tape via onboard mic. Easiest but DVcamera mics suck. Lots of hiss and rumble.
2. Streaming video via USB and running mic through a mixer and into my soundcard. CD quality sound. Video suffers slightly as Cams indicates. This is probably the best overall audio/video quality. Downside is that you are streaming to the PC so your file size gets VERY large in short order. So numerous takes in a row aren't possible unless your PC is a speed and memory MONSTER.
3. My current setup (see photo below). I connect my battery powered Shure PG81 mic using an XLR to 1/8 stereo mini plug adapter. Then I go into a Radio Shack volume wheel (1/8 female on one end and 1/8 male on other that attaches to the external mic jack). If you don't use the volume controller, you'll overpower the audio on the camera. This setup allows me to record directly to tape, do as many takes as I want and then upload the best take to the PC. This setup is very portable. The sound is very good but there is still some hiss and rumble from the camera tape transport (I guess?).
So , I got Sony Screenblast Movie Studio Software as it has great video AND audio editing capabilities. You can use soundeffect plugins to add verb, delay, reduce hiss with noise reduction or EQ plugin (software has only a 3 slider EQ.)

Camera- Sony DCR TRV-350 - $500
Mic - Shure PG81 - $75
Movie Studio Software - $100
Joy of sharing videos online - PRICELESS!

ronmac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2004, 03:35:04 PM »

Tom,

Nice setup, and not too expensive. This should allow you to splurge on make-up for the performer(s). :o

Ron

Ron

orsino
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2004, 02:40:59 AM »

God knows I'd need to buy a $5 disposable film camera in order to afford the makeup I'd need to cover my mug.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: