Hygrometer

Started by rrgguitarman, September 16, 2006, 06:17:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I've been using a Radio Shack Hygrometer for a few years but, lately I've started questioning the accuracy of the unit.

I'm looking to buy a couple more and I was wondering what type/brand you guys use?
How do you keep your babies humidified and safe?

I live in So. California and it's been rather dry this year so, I've been using the Planet Waves in hole humidifier.
Ruben

Radioshack.  I don't think being 100% accurate is critical
Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519

I agree but, the Radio Shack Hygrometer also measure temperature and based on a couple of other thermometers we own this thing is 5 degrees hotter.

That's what got me doubting the accuracy of the hygrometer.
Ruben

I use these hygrometers which I've read are by the smae maker as Humicase ones.  I like these better because they do NOT include the flimsy velcro that never holds but instead  has nice magnetic strips that mount great and allow you to remove the hygrometer easily without the ripping from velcro sound. The magnets hold and I have never had one come loose in the case , which I cannot say about the velcro ones.

http://www.livingincomfort.com/p3mihyandthp.html

Since I live in the Oregon high desert where the humidity averages around 33% I use Dampits, Planets Waves, and homemade devices for adding moisture to the cases.  No real preference on any of them, they all work about the same.

10 Larrivee 00-03R 
09 CA Cargo
09 Taylor GA SS
06 Taylor 714CE
05 Santa Cruz OM S
04 Baby Taylor

I'll check them out. Thanks.

What kind of homemade goodies do you use?
Ruben

Quote from: rrgguitarman on September 16, 2006, 07:24:17 PM
I'll check them out. Thanks.

What kind of homemade goodies do you use?

Here is what I use, but I typically use a travel soap dish with a few holes in it rather than a ziplock bag.

http://www.bryankimsey.com/humdifier/index.htm

10 Larrivee 00-03R 
09 CA Cargo
09 Taylor GA SS
06 Taylor 714CE
05 Santa Cruz OM S
04 Baby Taylor

Hey that's kind of cool and a lot cheaper! The Planet Waves Humidifiers I've been using are around 9 bucks a pop! I like to travel soap container idea, where do you place it?

Thank you!!

I wonder if I should humidify my archtop guitars? anyone know?
Ruben

You can put them in the case compartment or under the headstock. Monitor the case humidity closely and see what works best in your situation.

10 Larrivee 00-03R 
09 CA Cargo
09 Taylor GA SS
06 Taylor 714CE
05 Santa Cruz OM S
04 Baby Taylor

Quote from: LookingForLarri on September 16, 2006, 08:21:01 PM
You can put them in the case compartment or under the headstock. Monitor the case humidity closely and see what works best in your situation.

Wonderful! i'll give it a shot.
The humidity in southern California has been around 28% as of late.
Ruben

My radio shack seems to report lower than my planet waves.. if I remember correctly.  Anything 42-55% I'm pretty happy with.  I think battery voltage can play a difference in the accuracy of the measurements too.  I've seen 9v batterys read out at 9.2-9.4V on a multimeter.
05 Larrivee LV-05 (L.R. Baggs Imix)
03 Paul Reed Smith Custom 24
99 Fender DG-24 MA
Mesa Boogie Road King II Head & Mesa Road King 2x12 Cab

Quote from: rrgguitarman on September 16, 2006, 08:28:04 PM
The humidity in southern California has been around 28% as of late.

I'll state the obvious just to be sure.  It's not the humidity outside that matters,  it's inside your house, room or case that must be controlled.  Your A/C and heater have a dramatic effect on the humidity levels inside your home.

:coffee :donut

10 Larrivee 00-03R 
09 CA Cargo
09 Taylor GA SS
06 Taylor 714CE
05 Santa Cruz OM S
04 Baby Taylor

I monitor the inside of the house and every now and then I put the hygrometer inside the case.
Ruben

I found a really nice one at a high end cigar store that's the size of a short cigar.  It stays in my case and is supposed to be accurate to 1.5% humidity.  I think it was around $20.

karl2795, can you tell me what brand it is? I bought one and send it back because it was way off!
Ruben

Quote from: LookingForLarri on September 16, 2006, 08:21:01 PM

When I humidified in the case, I would put a Planetwaves in the soundhole and the soapdish/sponge under the headstock. If you just put a humidifier under the headstock, the moisture will not get to the inside of the guitar, where it is needed, when the guitar case is closed.

I use a warm mist room humidifier with a built-in hygrometer now and don't worry about my guitars at all.
2016 Martin 000-28vs 12 fret

2014 Taylor 814ce

2014 Godin Multiac Classical

2012 Gibson "The Golden Age 1930's" SJ200

2012 Squier Vintage Modified 70's Jazz Bass

2010 Gretsch Electromatic G5122DC

2009 Taylor GA3-12e

2004 Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster

1981 Rickenbacker 320JG

1968 Yamaha FG150 Red La

I just bought an OASIS HYGROMETER at Elderly's in Lansing, Mi. Guy said it's better than more expensive one's. www.elderly.com
Chuck S. Mi.

Quote from: drathbun on September 26, 2006, 01:58:48 PM
If you just put a humidifier under the headstock, the moisture will not get to the inside of the guitar, where it is needed, when the guitar case is closed.

Agreed, Planet waves, dampits should also be used inside the soundhole when needed.

10 Larrivee 00-03R 
09 CA Cargo
09 Taylor GA SS
06 Taylor 714CE
05 Santa Cruz OM S
04 Baby Taylor

Quote from: LookingForLarri on September 27, 2006, 03:32:00 PM

Agreed, Planet waves, dampits should also be used inside the soundhole when needed.

Ok, now i'm really lost! how do you know when you need it? when the top is caving in? or what? I've never used two at a time.
Ruben

Read this from Larrivee:

Signs of Severe Dehyrdration

I would only use two dampits in a desperate situation where you are trying to get a severely dehydrated guitar back into shape again.

This Bob Taylor video explains some of this.
Part 1.

Part 2.
2016 Martin 000-28vs 12 fret

2014 Taylor 814ce

2014 Godin Multiac Classical

2012 Gibson "The Golden Age 1930's" SJ200

2012 Squier Vintage Modified 70's Jazz Bass

2010 Gretsch Electromatic G5122DC

2009 Taylor GA3-12e

2004 Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster

1981 Rickenbacker 320JG

1968 Yamaha FG150 Red La

Quote from: rrgguitarman on September 27, 2006, 03:40:12 PM
Ok, now i'm really lost! how do you know when you need it? when the top is caving in? or what? I've never used two at a time.

I'm afraid you misunderstood.  I don't use them all at the same time !! The Taylor links provide a great explanation of determining a guitars moisture level and how to treat it.  What I meant was I have used various devices at different times with sucessfull results.  I monitor levels in my cases and when they get around 40 or so I add a device in the soundhole and headstock areas to bring the level up to between 45 - 50.

10 Larrivee 00-03R 
09 CA Cargo
09 Taylor GA SS
06 Taylor 714CE
05 Santa Cruz OM S
04 Baby Taylor