Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "D" vs "L" in recording applications  (Read 915 times)
d03nut

Ignore
« on: September 13, 2006, 06:16:14 PM »

Would appreciate hearing your thoughts/experiences recording these 2 models (more specifically the rosewoods -do the L's have as much "reverb" as the D's?). 

My thinking is that since they are not worlds apart to begin with, there shouldn't be such a big difference in their recorded sounds.  Most of the variation in their tones is probably noticeable only when you're playing them.  But that's just an uninformed guess since I've only played one L03, and that for just a couple of minutes.

Pre-emptive thanks.....
dgrose

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2006, 06:31:06 PM »

As far as rosewoods go, I can only attest to the differences between my DV-09e and my LV-19e. There is an audible difference both to the ear and to the mike when recording, but it's not so much a "reverb" difference as a tonal range quality. Both sound beautiful with an un-muddied resonance, but each sounds different.
If you get into mahogany guitars, my DV-05e definitely has a different and much deeper resonance than either of the rosewoods. I prefer the sound of the DV-09 (slightly), but love the comfort of the LV-19. As a side note, you can easily modify the sound of one or the other (or the other) with careful mike placement and EQ. If you have a pickup in the guitar, you can mix that with the mike signal and completely re-define your sound.

hfisher3380

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2006, 03:09:17 AM »

I would also like to know the opinions of those out there.  I posted earlier about my purchase of an L-03RE that I am considering bringing back to the shop to exchange for a D without onboard LRBaggs - which has underwhelmed me so far in terms of its recording quality - although that's admittedly through a cheap m-audio fasttrack into garageband on my mac.  I may end up going for a Rosewood dread - perhaps a D-09 without the "E" and adding a simple K&K or just simple external mic.  But I am wondering about the recording quality between the different body styles - the sound clips on this board seem to do justice to both body styles...anyone know how those were recorded?
ronmac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2006, 10:20:02 AM »

If you have a good signal chain - room, mics, preamps, monitors, skilled engineer - they will both record well. If not, then it is going to be a guess as to which one will sound better recorded. Different body sizes will require different "fixes" if you are fighting with inadequate equipment or bad room acoustics.

Ron

CF Larrivee

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2006, 06:50:30 PM »

The 000's seem to have the most noticable "reverby" sound to my ears.

"The hardest thing in this world .... is to live in it." - Buffy the Vampire Slayer
kwakatak
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2006, 09:46:06 PM »

I had the same considerations before acquiring my OM-03R. I was seriously considering the L-03 but in the end I think the OM was the right choice. There seems to be plenty of bass in my recordings and I love the balanced tone. 

Neil

2009 Martin D-16GT

2006 Larrivée OM-03R

1998 Fender American Standard Stratocaster, Ash Body, Natural finish

1989 Kramer 610

1973 Takamine F-360 ("Martin Lawsuit" all-laminate D-28 clone)
ronmac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2006, 10:34:39 AM »

A lot of people are surprised when they hear a lush, full sounding guitar recording and learn that it was created using an OM. Pete Huttlinger, Sean Watkins, some of Brian Suttons work comes to mind.

There is a wave of players now that are using even smaller bodied guitars in order to get a rich, well balanced voice that can then be compressed and tweaked with some ambience effects to sound huge.

Ron

lleo

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2006, 09:21:06 PM »

I think it only depends on your tastes, in the end. Both guitars are nice, but usually Ds have a sound more "squared", "hard". Slope shoulders sound mellower and sweeter.

Fender Rosewood Telecaster, Fender '50 Classic Telecaster, late '800 italian classical, Larrivée L05
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: