OM-03 or OM-05

Started by guitarowner, September 13, 2006, 01:14:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OM-03 or OM-05, wich model would you buy, and why??
What´s the difference ??

Quote from: guitarowner on September 13, 2006, 01:14:33 PM
OM-03 or OM-05, wich model would you buy, and why??
What´s the difference ??

Both are excellent...
OM-03 - nice guitar, satin finish, not too fancy.
OM-05 - nicer guitar, gloss finish, lots of nice abalone, more expensive.
Of the two, I'd buy the 05, but I'd rather have an OM-09

I fell for the 05's looks.  Both are fantastic guitars and sound fantastic....tonally I would say there is not a huge difference between the 03 and 05...especially if you upgrade the 03 to bone saddle and nut.  it is really about the looks.  If you are thinking about an 05....checkout the special bearclaw marked ones that are availible at Trinity guitar.....FANTASTIC!!!! :cheers

Blue
OM-05MT "Mary Helen"
Silvercreek T-170
Harmony Herd (1203, 162, 165, 6362)

guitarowner- you've got a pm/email...

:ph34r: J.
OM-18V

Sorry, to much $
Hm, explain why bearclaw is so fancy??
Perhaps I save some $ and buy me an OM-09, can´t realy make up my mind.
1 Larrivve OM  for the rest of your life, wich one to choose

Quote from: joopie on September 13, 2006, 05:39:38 PM
guitarowner- you've got a pm/email...

Quote from: guitarowner on September 13, 2006, 06:04:35 PM

Hm, explain why bearclaw is so fancy??
1 Larrivve OM  for the rest of your life, wich one to choose

it's whatever lifts your skirt... i like bearclaw- but i also like clean unmarked tops and everything in between. :GRN> really- i haven't met a larrivee i didn't like and i don't think you can go wrong w/ any larrivee as a life long friend... happy hunting and let us know what you decide on.

OM-18V

Quote from: Blue in VT on September 13, 2006, 02:18:58 PM
I fell for the 05's looks.  Both are fantastic guitars and sound fantastic....tonally I would say there is not a huge difference between the 03 and 05...especially if you upgrade the 03 to bone saddle and nut.  it is really about the looks.  If you are thinking about an 05....checkout the special bearclaw marked ones that are availible at Trinity guitar.....FANTASTIC!!!! :cheers

Blue

VT what difference does a bone saddle and nut make...epecially since the nut is taken out of the tonal  equation once you fret a note?

Chow,
Seegs

Quote from: Seegs on September 14, 2006, 01:35:40 AM
VT what difference does a bone saddle and nut make...especially since the nut is taken out of the tonal  equation once you fret a note?

The nut may have less significance, but the saddle is always in the equation and it makes a HUGE difference. I recently bought an Aria Auditorium - a $500 OM guitar with rosewood back and sides and spruce top. It came with a plastic saddle and nut and sounded very mediocre (plus the nut was cut off-center so the strings were mis-aligned). I replaced the plastic nut and saddle with bone, and although it's no Larrivee, the guitar sounds really good - much more responsive and tonally rich.

Sure the replacement of the nut is not as vital as that of the saddle...but I still play many open strings wether strumming or fingerpicking and bone seems to bring the tone into better balance in my ear.

:cheers

Blue
OM-05MT "Mary Helen"
Silvercreek T-170
Harmony Herd (1203, 162, 165, 6362)

Quote from: dgrose on September 14, 2006, 07:38:40 AM

The nut may have less significance, but the saddle is always in the equation and it makes a HUGE difference. I recently bought an Aria Auditorium - a $500 OM guitar with rosewood back and sides and spruce top. It came with a plastic saddle and nut and sounded very mediocre (plus the nut was cut off-center so the strings were mis-aligned). I replaced the plastic nut and saddle with bone, and although it's no Larrivee, the guitar sounds really good - much more responsive and tonally rich.

thanx guys just trying to get educated here after having been primarily an electric player for most of my life...my OM-03R came with Tusq and it sounds amazing basically the pick of the liter out of the several D, L & OM 03 & 05's that I played when looking...

but I always try to optimize my gear if it will make a difference so will it still make that much of tonal improvement over Tusq?

Chow,
Seegs

It doesn't hurt to try though your personal preferences may vary. A bone saddle from www.guitarsaddles.com only costs about $20US and takes about 15-30 minutes to sand to fit and install so it's probably one of the quickest and least risky upgrades outside of new tuning buttons and bridge pins. 
Neil K

2013 DIY Medium Jumbo (western red cedar/S. American Mahogany)
2013 McKnight Ukulele
2009 Martin D-16GT
2006 Larrivée OM-03R
1998 Fender American Standard Stratocaster, Ash Body, Natural finish
1989 Kramer Striker 610

The bone vs tusq saddle or nut or pins sound change is an endless source of debate that will keep this forum going for many years to come.   :rolleyes:
Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519

Quote1 Larrivve OM  for the rest of your life, wich one to choose

for me it was easy...  an OM19

Ta,

d.

Strange reason to choose the OM-05 but..............

I don't like the 'scratchy' sound that is heard when I rub my palm along the satin finish.  Just probably bad technique on my part BUT, I do hear the sound and it bothers me after awhile.  The gloss top doesn't have that effect but it also sounds a little more muffled (very little) becuase of the gloss finish.  Your mileage of course while vary depending on your perception of the sound.

Either way, great guitars.

I'm finding I really dig the Tusq saddles. I do not like micarta much but Tusq is fine... Don't know if I like bone better. ?

For me I choose the OM-05, mostly for the gloss finish and the great price I got on it.  I also like the OM-03 too.

You can't go wrong with any Larrivee

Some have hinted at it, but incase you missed it I'll lay it out. The Om-03 and OM-05 are the same guitar with different ornamentation. The only sonic up grades that the 05 has, can also be upgraded in the 03. In other words when you buy an 05 you are paying for the looks. Of course the 05s are still a good deal. Have you played them? when you talk about "1 Larrivve OM  for the rest of your life", it would be crazy not to go out and play them. If you decide to buy that "it" guitar, it doesn't make since to just pick a random guitar you never played and live with it. Kinda like picking a wife from names in a hat.

Perhaps I should talk with Guitaradoptions. I´ve seen and heard the mahogny models, OM3MT and OM5MT.

If money was no object, OM-05. Sweet tone, and so gorgeous!
2005 Larrivée LV-03RE
2003 Larrivée Rosewood Special Edition Parlor
1998 Fender American Std Stratocaster
1991 Vantage VS-5 (beater)