K&K Pure Western Mini question

Started by tak2larri, September 13, 2006, 09:27:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hey everybody.  Been awhile since I've posted, but i read everything here... you all rock!  Anyway, I just ordered a Pure Western Mini for my D-03BW, and I was just wondering what your advice would be on installing it myself.  I'd like to do it myself, but I also don't want to damage an amazing guitar.  Have any of you (who don't work on guitars for a living) installed one yourself, and if so, how easy was it?  I know it'll take time and attention to detail, but is it something I should attempt on my own?  Any tips for the installation?

Also, one more quick question.  How important are cables?  What are suggestions for nice cables to use?  Thanks everyone!

--Ross--
Larrivée D-03BW (2001)
Takamine EG541SC
Tacoma M3 Mandolin
Arthur Conner custom fiddle (1991)
WANTED: Larrivée Koa Uke (donations are welcome)  :-)

Ross,

I'm a computer guy by trade, and I put one in my D03R a few weeks ago.  The instructions that come with it are really pretty good, and it helps to read them over a couple times before hand.  In fact, if you want a headstart, you can get a copy of the manual at http://www.kksound.com/pdf/purewestern_manual.pdf

The endpin hole in my D03R was already the right diameter, so no drilling or reaming was necessary.  All that was required was to glue the 3 sensors in the right spots and then stick the endpin jack through the hole the old endpin occupied.  Make sure you have a good mirror, and a bright flashlight, and it really isn't too big of a job.  I was pretty careful to make sure I covered the face of the guitar with cloth before I started, just in case the superglue dripped when I was applying it to the sensors, but the tube that comes with it isn't prone to glooping.  All I had kicking around for rubber gloves was one of the playtex dishwashing gloves, which doesn't really fit my large hands too well.  So I ended up just cutting out the middle finger from the glove and using that.  I also didn't have any double-sided tape, so I just used some painting masking tape curled in a loop.  It still was a little too sticky, and I was afraid it would grip the sensor too tightly and maybe pull it back off the bridge if the glue hadn't set, so stuck it to my jeans first and then pulled it off to blunt the tackiness with denim.  Each of the sensors is supposed to be placed between 2 holes, 1/8" away from them.  To help guide my finger, I put the pins in the 2 holes I was aiming for, so that I could feel my way to the right spot.  If you just stick the sensor on your gloved finger 1/8" from the end of your finger, when your fingertip is touching both pegs you are in business. 

It really was pretty easy, and you shouldn't have any problems if you pay attention and follow directions.   I have been very happy with the sound I get from it.

Larrivee DV10-E
Larrivee OMV03-RE
Larrivee D03-12

I have installed that pickup on an L-03K and a D-03R. The install is very simple and if you follow the instructions you should have no problems. There was no drilling on the -03 models because the strap peg hole is exactly the right size.
Forum II # 8 of 10

If my understanding is correct, a 2001 D-03 will not have the removable strap plug that now come standard on the -03 models. My suggestion is to take it to a shop to drill/ream for the plug. They will only charge you $5-10 to do it. They have the proper tools and have the experience to do it right. It isn't worth the aggravation or potential damage to your fine guitar.

:nana_guitar :nana_guitar
Don

Larrivée D-09BW
Larrivée LV-03BW
Larrivée OM-03K
Larrivée LV-03-12
Martin D-18 RIP :crying:
Mossman Tennessee 12
Gretsch Chet Atkins DC
Gretsch Tennessee Rose
Fender Am. Stratocaster
Guild X-170T Manhattan
Fender 90s Telecaster Custom
Guild Starfire 5
Gretsch 5422 12 String
G&L ASAT Deluxe Semi

I did a self-install that, well, wasn't disastrous, but when I have a chance I'm going to take it to my local repair shop and have them reinstall at least one of the pickup heads (which is perilously close to the soundhole).  It's not necessarily a difficult procedure, especially if you already have a drilled-out endpin hole, but getting it professionally done would be worth the money to me. 

WRT cables:  If you have acutely sensitive ears and are playing your guitar through a high-end amplification system in an acoustically tuned room, you might be able to hear a slight difference between a cheap cable and an expensive one.  Typically, though, the cable will not be the weakest link in your signal chain.  The barista making espresso will be.

Trent

Thank you all for your great advice.  I'm gonna give it the old college try.  One last question though... what about the cable in between the pickups and the jack?  Does it just hang there, or should I secure it to the soundboard or what?  If so, how?  Thanks!
Larrivée D-03BW (2001)
Takamine EG541SC
Tacoma M3 Mandolin
Arthur Conner custom fiddle (1991)
WANTED: Larrivée Koa Uke (donations are welcome)  :-)

After its done, shake the guitar a little. If the noise is annoying to you, tape it. If not, don't sweat it!

:nana_guitar :guitar :nana_guitar
Don

Larrivée D-09BW
Larrivée LV-03BW
Larrivée OM-03K
Larrivée LV-03-12
Martin D-18 RIP :crying:
Mossman Tennessee 12
Gretsch Chet Atkins DC
Gretsch Tennessee Rose
Fender Am. Stratocaster
Guild X-170T Manhattan
Fender 90s Telecaster Custom
Guild Starfire 5
Gretsch 5422 12 String
G&L ASAT Deluxe Semi

My .02 worth.
I bought a car mirror with lights for around $3.00 at wal-mart and it was a lifesaver when I put the K&K on one of my guitars. You just open it up slide it in the hole and you have a mirror with a light.
Also, a member on another forum recommended using the Duro Gel because the Gel does not set as quickly giving you more time to position the heads properly.
Radio Shack sells  this little clips with adhesive in the back that i've used to secure the cable between the heads and the input jack to the guitar.

Practice without the glue a few times to get the feel of what you're doing.

It's not bad! just be careful that you do position the heads per the instructions. Good luck
Ruben

Does anybody know a place to buy the Western Mini? I checked the K&K website and I saw they also sell directly, but I guess there might be a store selling their stuff at a lower price.
Thanx pals
:WNK>
Fender Rosewood Telecaster, Fender '50 Classic Telecaster, late '800 italian classical, Larrivée L05

Quote from: lleo on September 15, 2006, 05:34:26 AM
Does anybody know a place to buy the Western Mini? I checked the K&K website and I saw they also sell directly, but I guess there might be a store selling their stuff at a lower price.
Thanx pals
:WNK>

Heck yeah---take a look at
www.Gryphonstrings.com
Last week they still had two Mini's reduced to $29!!! They say Classical on them, but I tried one on a dread and it was fine. Four mini piezo pads are included soldered to a 1/4 strap pin mount, a standard thing where you plug in on what becomes your strap pin.
A preamp is desireable, though, for a hotter signal.

Doug Jones
Larrivee (1996) LC-09
Martin (2007) D-28
Aria AD-80
Seagull S6/Cedar
Epiphone Masterbuilt 500N
Yamaha FG-512 12-string
Eko Ranger XII 12-string, EMG undersaddle p/u
Tacoma Thunderchief bass
Vantage VS-695B Electric Bass
Rickenbacker (1986) 330-12 Mapleglo  blk h'ware
Flea Ukulele
Lanakai Bari Uke

They also sell seconds on ebay that are guaranteed to work like retail versions, with just cosmetic issues.  Since I don't spend much time peering under my bridge, I decided to save $20 and buy one from them on e-bay.  Works fine.
Larrivee DV10-E
Larrivee OMV03-RE
Larrivee D03-12

I was a real chicken with the superglue, so I made a simple jig out of a little piece of flat wood about the size of a quarter and 2 pieces of dowel about 1 1/2 inches long fitted into pre drilled holes in the quarter piece spaced apart the width of my bridge pin holes.  Lay a piece of double sided tape arcoss the flat wood about 1/8 inch away from the dowel rods, lay one of the mini PU discs on it, apply the super glue, then put the whole thing in through the guitar hole and insert the 2 dowel rods up through the E and A bridge pin holes until you feel it make contact.  Press firmly for about a minute or so, then take the palm of your hand and "pop" the jig loose.  Bring it back out of the guitar hole and repeat the process for the other 2 PU discs.  No mirrors and they get places exactly in the right spot every time.  But again, I'm a big chicken- I had to guarantee myself good results the first time.  As for the pickups, I absolutely love them on my OM-03R SH. 

Quote from: karl2795 on September 19, 2006, 11:51:54 AM
I was a real chicken with the superglue, so I made a simple jig out of a little piece of flat wood about the size of a quarter and 2 pieces of dowel about 1 1/2 inches long fitted into pre drilled holes in the quarter piece spaced apart the width of my bridge pin holes.  Lay a piece of double sided tape arcoss the flat wood about 1/8 inch away from the dowel rods, lay one of the mini PU discs on it, apply the super glue, then put the whole thing in through the guitar hole and insert the 2 dowel rods up through the E and A bridge pin holes until you feel it make contact.  Press firmly for about a minute or so, then take the palm of your hand and "pop" the jig loose.  Bring it back out of the guitar hole and repeat the process for the other 2 PU discs.  No mirrors and they get places exactly in the right spot every time.  But again, I'm a big chicken- I had to guarantee myself good results the first time.  As for the pickups, I absolutely love them on my OM-03R SH. 

Nice!

Thanks for the suggestion. I think I will modify one of the jigs that come with the IBeams to do the same thing the next time I install a K&K.

Boy, those OM-03R SH owners are really smart!  :thumbsup
Ron