New approach to strings...

Started by rbpicker, September 10, 2006, 09:53:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

...at least for me.  I have had my L03R for about a month, and have tried several string combinations... lights seemed too light and mediums compressed the sound a bit too much for my ear. I have even mixed sets without a lot of luck.

I was at Elderly yesterday and bought a set of Martin Light/Medium SP in Phos Bronze.  They are the "between" gauge for each string, running 12.5 to 55.  This is a great set of strings for this guitar !!!!   I have found the right combination.  The bass is loud and rich and the highs are crystal clear and shimmering.  I'm hooked.

RB

I've been using these on my OM-50 for the last 4-5 months.  They are fantastic strings.  The drive the top really well, bring out a lot of tone without sacrificing any playability.  Actually I think you will find that after playing them in they loosen up an to me are some of the easiest playing strings I have had on.  They also seem to last longer then average.
-josh
Larrivee P-03MT
Martin 00
Epiphone Bluesmaster

I just put a set of these on my OM-03R yesterday.  I'm not sure I like them as well as the Newtone 12-52 set I normally use, but I'll give them a few days to bed in before making any judgments.  They do seem to be pretty nice strings.

I had been trying to find those strings when I still had an OM but on the parlor...mediums rule!

I use the 80/20s for my OM/PW   :donut

I did like them on my Goodall, nice balance and just enough kick to them.  My only beef is that they just don't last.  I'll be sticking with the Newtone's and Elixir Phosphor Bronze.... they sound as good and last much, much longer. 

NewStrings
Lord of the STRINGS * Kronbauer TDK *  Taylor 614ce  *  Larrivee LV-03RE  *  Taylor 810ce  *  Martin D-18 Custom  *  Gibson ES - Les Paul  *  Gibson J-45  *  Fender Telecaster  *  Jason Romero banjo  *   National Estralita Resonator * Muth mandolin

Quote from: NewStrings on September 10, 2006, 05:34:55 PM
I did like them on my Goodall, nice balance and just enough kick to them.  My only beef is that they just don't last.  I'll be sticking with the Newtone's and Elixir Phosphor Bronze.... they sound as good and last much, much longer. 

NewStrings

Just out of curiousity, which Newtone set do you use?

I use the Master Class Custom Phosphor Bronze, 012 - 054 gauge.  Just the right balance and tension that is perfect for me.  If I was stranded on a desert Island and could only take one set of strings with me, that would be the one.  For that particular Goodall, they really start to sound great after about 2 months of play!  And I'm a guy who usually changes strings every 2 to 3 weeks.  The Goodall is known for overtones and when the Newtones break in, 2 things happen:  It's so much easier to tune on a tuning meter --- new strings are almost impossible to tune to pitch, the needle just dances.   The second thing is a more distinct separation of the string sound and an added kick to the bass side.

Anyway, long answer to short question but as you can tell, I am a huge Newtone fan!   :thumbsup

NewStrings
Lord of the STRINGS * Kronbauer TDK *  Taylor 614ce  *  Larrivee LV-03RE  *  Taylor 810ce  *  Martin D-18 Custom  *  Gibson ES - Les Paul  *  Gibson J-45  *  Fender Telecaster  *  Jason Romero banjo  *   National Estralita Resonator * Muth mandolin

I just bought a P-05 at Elderly's a month ago. When I inquired about strings the salesman gave me a set of John Pearse lights. I still the standard issue on the guitar and haven't used them yet. Suggestions? BTW, I hope to have my ashes buried near the front door of Elderly's someday :thumbsup
Chuck S. Mi.

Quote from: WIZARDMI on September 11, 2006, 09:51:33 PM
I just bought a P-05 at Elderly's a month ago. When I inquired about strings the salesman gave me a set of John Pearse lights. I still the standard issue on the guitar and haven't used them yet. Suggestions? BTW, I hope to have my ashes buried near the front door of Elderly's someday :thumbsup
The Pearse lights are great strings.  Try them, since they're paid for.  You should also try the Newtones.  I really like the regular medium-light set (12-52).

WIZARDMI, me too...I've got a nice little spot picked out right along those stepping stones that lead from the side walk up to the front walk.... my wife has the instructions on where it is  :roll

RBpicker

My wife has similar instructions on the proper placement of my remains. If Stan would allow it, I wouldn't mind if they propped me up at the front door next to the security dude. You know, change my shirt and hat now and again. Maybe something seasonal at Christmas time. The wife says OK, but I don't think she really understands what a sacred place Elderly's has become to me over the years. (Do you thing Frog & Stan would let me live there on my days off?)

Most of all the wife has another MAJOR order upon my demise: NO OTHER GUY CAN LOOK OR TOUCH MY AXES! If she allows it I've sworn to come back and strike him dead and haunt her for the rest of her days.

Then, somewhere later in the instruction sheet is boring stuff about disbursement of funds, the kids, etc. :nana_guitar
Chuck S. Mi.

WIZARDMI...

Isn't it amazing... I've been going there for nearly 25 years, and I still get excited when I walk in the front door and take a wiff of all that wood and "old building" smell.  It really is a magical place.  If they ever move, it will ruin it.

I wish they would expand the Larrivee section (I guess the market dictates that though).

Maybe I'll see you there sometime... form the sound of it, I probably have !!

RB

The only thing that stops me from being a daily there is living an hour and a half away(Sterling Heights). And to add to the full Lansing experience I started going to Lug Nuts baseball this year.
Chuck S. Mi.

Yeah, it's pretty bad when you walk in and some of them call you by name.  I'm in Beverly Hills, about the same distance as you... but worth every mile.

What kind of music do you play, Wizard?

RB

I got kind of stuck in the folk/pop stuff of the 60-70's. After 30+ years I'm going back to take a few lessons and try to expand my skills. Specifically, possibly blues.
Chuck S. Mi.

Hey there  :cheers

You guiys from Michigan.....I'm from Michigan too, westland garden city area. Shoot me an e-mail will you? I'm 54 been playing off and on about 6 years (after a 30 year hiatus) , switched to acoustic a coupe years ago and got serious with my fingerpicking blues. I'm seriously looking for guys to play with and learn from. If your up for it let me know OK? Maybe we can make a joint trip to Elderly or something. Anyways.....If you might be interested or know a real good instructor here in the Detroit area let me know, ok guys?

Mickey    mike103898 at aol.com

Wizard and Mickey... I know a great fingerstyle blues instructor in Ferndale.  Let me know if you'd like more info.

rogerblair3@hotmail dot com