Yamaha LS series

Started by Calvin, September 10, 2006, 02:52:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I dont make it a secret that dotn like the Yamaha hand made dreads.  Sure they have very good tone, but did the volume knob get stuck at 3 and a 1/2??  However, their ply dreads are amazing (for the price).  The OM (FS they call them) are boxy sounding (sound okay though) and a bit deeper than most OM for comfort.

Then I played their LS26 (and it's hand signed, by the luthier that made it I guess).  The interior looks perfect, so does the exterior.  The peghead says Yamaha, tut DAYUUUUUMMMMMM do they every sound good.  Like hands down better than martin of same cost, and dare I say better than lots of Larrivees out there.  But do I really want to drop 2G's CDN for a Yamaha???  Maybe my hearing was bad that day??  Anyone else tried one of these.

The LS36 is basically teh same thing with more clam shell (but I think the 26 looked better, I think there is an LS16 too, but that's very basic).
Larrivee LSV-05
Larrivee LV-09FM
Larrivee CS-30
Yamaha Chronos LL-16
Yamaha Pacifica 112J
Martin LX-1
Fender American Stratocaster Delux
Fender Mexican Stratocaster
Fender Mexican Telecaster
Rivera Sedon

I love the L series yamahas.  solid guitars, IMO.

Breedlove SD-25 Custom
1973  Martin Sigma DM-5

New book on the history of Yamaha guitars players as diverse as James Talor to Paul Simon to John Hiatt to Billy Sheehan.  Those guys could afford more expensive instruments so their choice of Yamaha is even more significant.

I have a 84 ll-25 ..... and the longer I have it the more I like it. Clear, easy to hear, best all around guitar ( finger pick and flat pick ) I've ever had.  Nice easy neck great action, good looking. i got mine used with fishman under saddle and well worn area around the sound hole but only paid $ 305.00 for it. I feel like i stole it. I friend I play with some times has a goodall om ( which is the best sounding, and one of the loudest guitars, louder than my d-05 ) and i really likes the ll-25 also I keeps surprising him. when I want to start working on a song it's the one I grab first..... I find I am able to hear it better than the best, if that makes any sense
Larrivee D-60
Larrivee D-05 Gryphon Headstock
Guild F-35NT
Gibson B-25
Yamaha LL-25
Martin D-16H
Martin LX1
1902  "Up toDate Guitar" oak parlor
1944 d-28  Martin ( sold last year )

Quote from: flathead on September 13, 2006, 12:05:43 AM
I have a 84 ll-25 ..... and the longer I have it the more I like it. Clear, easy to hear, best all around guitar ( finger pick and flat pick ) I've ever had.  Nice easy neck great action, good looking. i got mine used with fishman under saddle and well worn area around the sound hole but only paid $ 305.00 for it. I feel like i stole it. I friend I play with some times has a goodall om ( which is the best sounding, and one of the loudest guitars, louder than my d-05 ) and i really likes the ll-25 also I keeps surprising him. when I want to start working on a song it's the one I grab first..... I find I am able to hear it better than the best, if that makes any sense

I wonder if the finish is thin on those 80s Ls...my friend has an LL-5 I believe?  It is also wearing out around the sound hole.

Breedlove SD-25 Custom
1973  Martin Sigma DM-5

the LL5 is not all solid I dont think,

LS, LL, LJ ( and the XC, electronic with cutaways) are solid only if the suffixe is 16, 26, or 36.  I could be wrong however.  I do with the LS has the headstock design the LJ has, much more modern.
Larrivee LSV-05
Larrivee LV-09FM
Larrivee CS-30
Yamaha Chronos LL-16
Yamaha Pacifica 112J
Martin LX-1
Fender American Stratocaster Delux
Fender Mexican Stratocaster
Fender Mexican Telecaster
Rivera Sedon