Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: webber guitars  (Read 861 times)
markanthony

Ignore
« on: September 06, 2006, 09:28:35 PM »

Hello friends for those of you that have tried a webber,are they in the same league as Santa Cruz, Collings and other top rated small shops.Many of his guitars are often a $1000 less than other shops.Sometimes a product is less and it's a good deal, and sometimes a product is just not on the same level.

ronmac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2006, 10:15:07 PM »

Webber enjoys a pretty stellar reputation as a builder that gets the job done without a lot of hype and glitz. There are a few members here that own one.

If I were in the market right now (read: no money, not lack of interest :UND>), I would seriously consider a guitar being sold by member sdelsoray on another Forum: http://www.acousticplayermagazine.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=7167

I have no affiliation with the seller, but Steve has posted here often and has a reputation for owning the best of the best.

Players who are willing to take a chance on buying a brand other than the "Big Three" are often rewarded. Just make sure you do your research and know what you are getting.

Ron

Fergy07
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2006, 02:44:49 PM »

Basically, they are a very good guitar, well made and plays beautifully. What you are saving is probably on the name on the headstock. Collin's et al, are all exceptional guitars, but you would have to think that a certain amount of the price is the name. The same can be said for Webbers to an extent, are they better than Larrivees? The difference there has more to do with the costs incurred in a two man shop versus a factory production line.

Andy

Larrivee OM9
Larrivee PO-09 Koa
Breedlove SN20
Webber 000 Cedar/Maple
Pjmsj21

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2006, 07:17:30 PM »

Just an additional comment on Webbers.....I have an order in for a Webber Roundbody in mahogany and cedar in David's Roundbody size which is in between an L and a OM. Obviously I am quite impressed with Webbers and think as do many others that they provide a great value in a handmade guitar that can be custom spec'd for no additional costs.

The Webber sound is a bit different than the Larrivee sound as the Webber sound is a bit closer to a more tradional sound ala Martin but it is definitely not a Martin.  I find Webber extremely playable which for my skills is a big priority. As far as build quality they are pretty spotless and beautiful if you like your guitars on the more austere side.  David puts his effort into the build and sound not the bling.

I think that Webber along with Northwood, that I also considered, provide an alternative to Larrivee when you want woods other than the customary back and side woods and certainly more choice than just Sitka and mahogany for tops.  In addition both of these of these Canadian builders provide you with options on neck width, string spacing etc, which are no longer options with Larrivee as they are no longer doing custom guitars.  I love Larrivees but just needed some options that dont fit into the models that they currently offer.

Pat Mc
roknroll
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2006, 08:52:48 PM »

Heres an alternative to webber...a John David Scott OM...same price as webber though...

Breedlove SD-25 Custom
1973  Martin Sigma DM-5
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: