Baggs IBeam Active

Started by jenn, September 01, 2006, 09:41:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hi all,

Well, tonight I'm taking the plunge and installing one of these in my L-10.  Any helpful hints from the collective wisdom here?
Jenn

Jenn, I have installed several of these, and they are a great pu. Follow the placement instructions in the manual and restring. If you are not completely happy with the sound you get you may need to bias the pu a little to the base or treble side. It is easy to do with the included jig.

Spend a little time getting it right and you will be rewarded!
Ron

I've done this install four times although I only have two iBeams.  :UND>  I installed the first one in my L03 but took it out to install in the L05 I traded it for. Then i put one in my L03-12 which I took out to install in the Yamaha FG720-12 I traded it for. Go figure!  :GRN>

Anyway, I've done it enough to know a few tricks.

• Use either a reamer to make the endpin hole or a Forstner bit. I used a Forstner as it is VERY sharp and cuts a perfectly cylindrical hole without the need of a centre point.
  • Put masking tape over the surface of the guitar when making the hole to keep the finish from chipping
  • Use the Larrivee truss rod tool to guide the endpin jack through the hole - it is just the right size to slide through the hole, put the endpin on it and then withdraw slowly to guide the endpin into the hole in the block
  • When you place the pickup with the appliance, only touch the pickup to the bridge plate lightly - enough to keep it from falling off. Then restring and try it. It will be much easier to wiggle the pickup free to move it slightly as per Ron's instructions above.
  • Once you have the right location, press firmly on the pickup from underneath but make sure you have equal pressure on the bridge from above!
  • Keep the extra adhesive pads and the appliance so you can move it if you feel it doesn't sound right in the future. Even though it is firmly affixed, you can still remove it if you are careful (rock it slowly back and forth). You'll separate the foam pad no doubt, but you can roll the excess off both the pickup and the bridge plate and then sand the bridge plate with some fine sandpaper to make a clean start.

Good luck! I love both my iBeams!
2016 Martin 000-28vs 12 fret

2014 Taylor 814ce

2014 Godin Multiac Classical

2012 Gibson "The Golden Age 1930's" SJ200

2012 Squier Vintage Modified 70's Jazz Bass

2010 Gretsch Electromatic G5122DC

2009 Taylor GA3-12e

2004 Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster

1981 Rickenbacker 320JG

1968 Yamaha FG150 Red La

MANY thanks to both you and Ron for the very helpful advice.  It made the installation go smoothly!

I'm very pleased with the initial sound.  I'm going to live with it this weekend before deciding whether or not to tweek the positioning of the pickup.  I think that it's sounding great right now using the "default" position!

Thanks again!
Jenn

Quote from: jenn on September 02, 2006, 11:38:27 AM
MANY thanks to both you and Ron for the very helpful advice.  It made the installation go smoothly!

I'm very pleased with the initial sound.  I'm going to live with it this weekend before deciding whether or not to tweek the positioning of the pickup.  I think that it's sounding great right now using the "default" position!

Thanks again!
Jenn

I like the ibeam in my c-09W. a great pickup.
Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519

I had them installed several years ago in both my Martin D28 and Larrivee Parlour.  No regrets at all.

Thanks, this is timely.

I'm finally getting my om-02 back from the shop (where it was getting a small repair and the endpin hole enlarged), and I'll be installing an iBeam this weekend.

Hope my install goes as well as yours did.

Felix
Larrivee OM-02