Amp Help!(Which Tube Amp)

Started by stuco, August 28, 2006, 02:26:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

:ph34r:

Now I suppose I am just going to buy a tube amp as well,(this is an additon to the previous thread I made below) I've listed a few amps below that are in consideration.  I need to know basically what the best tube amp I can get for $400.  Ignore what is written right below this

Ok, heres the deal.  I've got a Nady PA that I got for acoustic guitar and mics and stuff.  I don't know much about electronics so please help me guys.  I am going to need to play a telecaster through it.  What can I use to make it sound like a good electric guitar amp.  Do I need a modeling pedal?  If so what type? Does anyone else play electric through a PA with some kind of amp modeler?   Is it possible to get a good tube like tone with a modeling contraption? IF so which one?

Line 6 Pods are very popular. I have used a Sans Amp rack unit in the past and really liked it.

I am currently using an impulse respose modulated VST software effect (SIR) for guitar tones. It works for me, although nothing sounds exactly like a mildly overdriven quality tube circuit, IMHO.
Ron

If I got a pignose and ran the guitar through that would I get the pignose sound out of the amp?

Also, what exactly is this?
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product?sku=151104

:guitar

OK, this is not cool, they took way my trademark icon. 

New question, what is the best low price real tube amp.  I've been looking at the

Crate palominos:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Crate-V16-Palomino-15W-Class-A-Tube-Combo-Amp?sku=487826

The fender Blues Jr.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Blues-Junior-Combo-Amp?sku=480512

Peavey classic 30:

Any other ideas or thoughts on these particular amps

well if i i was going to get any make of amp ide get a marshall.
there reliable and sound great. :GRN> :guitar

:guitar

Fender Guy, I would think that you would recommend a fender amp!  I don't think you can get a marshall TUBE amp for under $400

yeah i would except fender amps are expensive.
and i got a marshall for £120 i dont know what that is in dollars.

I play teles, and would highly recommend getting one of the little Roland MicroCube amps.  I run my tele into it, on the Fender blackpanel model, and while its just OK through the little 5" speaker, when you use the line out to your PA, it sounds incredible.  No lie, I have just about retired my 71 Twin Reverb to the junk side of the basement since I got the MicroCube.  I played them side by side, and the MC thru the PA is so close to the TR tone, I figured why bother cluttering up my music room/office with a big old Twin reverb?   I even played it at a couple of gigs through the PA, and it sounded great.   I've got all kinds of settings worked out for the various MC models, and they are cool amps to have since you can pop in batteries and go play tele outdoors somewhere, imagine, not just a beater Yamaha around the campfire, now you got a tele too!
D-02E

I got the fender blues jr. tube amp.

Fender makes some really great tube amps, tried and true!

Find the tone you are looking for and you won't need any of that modeling stuff, jmo...:thumb
2004 Larrivee Parlor BW
2003 Larrivee L-03 BW
2002 Larrivee D-03 BW x 2

I got the fender blues jr because it doesn't have all the modeling stuff and it (to me) was the best sounding amp in it's price range.   I had a line 6 spider once and I just couldn't get one tone I really liked from it.  I would rather have one great tone than 50 I don't like.

i have a like new blues jr listed in the selling forum. probably less than 5 hours used and the speaker isnt even broke in. sold my strat to buy my larrevee. dogs and kids are not fond of electric :? pics available and i have a great rating on ebay. pics available and i can send you my ebay id to check my ratings.

The Peavey Classic 30 is a great little amp...or actually, it's not so little.  It can get nice and loud. 
D-03RE
D-03-12
00-50 TSB
OM-02

...and several other guitars.  Former Larrivees: P-01, OM-03R SH (Twelfth Fret special edition), P-01 Chris Hadfield special edition

Depends on what you need it for. There are some great Fender tube amps out there that you can pick up pretty cheaply. People have mentioned the Blues Jr. Another that might be a little cheaper is the Champ 12. Twelve watts, 12" speaker. For a little more power llook for a Deluxe Reverb II or Princeton Reverb II. They are about 20-22 watts and were designed by Paul Rivera. Great little amps. For a lot more power look for a Fender Super 60. You can probably find one for about $3-400. It will be loud tho'.

The Peavey Classic 30 is a great recommendation as well. A little dirtier sound than the Fenders. An even better one would be the Peavey Delta Blues that adds tremolo and a 15" speaker. Great amp!

But my best recommendation is a used Music Man. I have a 65-210 and it is absolutely great. LOUD! And it has a half-power switch to cut back from 65 to 35 watts (32 1/2?). Watch for them on ebay and you can pick them up under $400 easily. They are heavy tho'.

If you are just playing around the house then the Blues Jr. (or a Princeton Reverb if you want to spend some more) would be great. If you want to play out, then you need a little more oomph (or a Shure SM-57).
Don

Larrivée D-09BW
Larrivée LV-03BW
Larrivée OM-03K
Larrivée LV-03-12
Martin D-18 RIP :crying:
Mossman Tennessee 12
Gretsch Chet Atkins DC
Gretsch Tennessee Rose
Fender Am. Stratocaster
Guild X-170T Manhattan
Fender 90s Telecaster Custom
Guild Starfire 5
Gretsch 5422 12 String
G&L ASAT Deluxe Semi

FENDER BLUES JUNIOR is a really good sounding amp, especially if you can get a hold of a tweed version (mexican or american made).  15 watt but plenty loud for small gigs. 

Peavey Classic 30 is also a really good amp. 

give these two a try!  they are very good sounding tube amps. 

If you can forget about the need to have tubes, don't dismiss the Roland Cube series.

For a small amp this one is hard to beat, on stage or in the studio:

14 lbs.

Sound samples here:

http://www.tech21nyc.com/sounds/tm30_sounds/Trademark_30.mp3

First 30 seconds:
Rhythm: Tyler Classic (strat type)
Lead: Same guitar
Rhythm Guitar: "Fender Clean" setting from owner's manual
Lead Guitar: "SRV" setting from owner's manual

Middle section:
Rhythm: Tyler Studio elite
Lead: Same Guitar
Rhythm Guitar: "AC/DC" setting from owner's manual
Lead Guitar: "Van Halen" setting from owner's manual

Last section:
Rhythm: Les Paul Classic
Lead: Same guitar
Rhythm Guitar: "Metallica" setting from owner's manual
Lead Guitar: "Mesa/Boogie" setting from owner's manualAll delays were done at the board (post recording); no compression and/or EQ was used for the guitars.
Ron

I agree with Art_matters,  the Fender Blues Junior sounds incredible!  that is the Tweed versions!!!  Peavey Classic 30s aren't bad but they sound not as clean as the Fenders.  Also, I don't know about the newer versions, but the they don't come with a tube guard.  So you have to be careful.  

Don't forget about Fender Pro Junior as well.  

The ones they made in the 1990s (the tweed or blonde tolex ones, as opposed to the black/silver ones). You can still get those for about $250-300, same as the cost of a new one. The pro jr. is great, kind of the -CENSORED- child of an old champ and an AC-15, 15 watts class A through two EL84s and one 10", PLENTY loud (i use it for gigs regularly though not turbo loud rock stuff) and it can hang without even sweating. Two knobs... volume and an actually useful tone control. All you need in my opinion. When you crank it up you get an enormous distortion tone. It's many engineers' secret weapon... many recordings you've heard where you're like "damn that's one huge sounding Marshall or Soldano," it was actually a pro jr. cranked all the way up.

Quote from: stuco on September 02, 2006, 12:01:12 AM

I got the fender blues jr because it doesn't have all the modeling stuff and it (to me) was the best sounding amp in it's price range.   I had a line 6 spider once and I just couldn't get one tone I really liked from it.  I would rather have one great tone than 50 I don't like.

This is very funny...I just sold my Line 6 Spider II 212 and bought as Fender Blues Jr!!!!! I love the sound of this amp...best in it's price range to me. I wanted the Vox, but just couldn't swing the cabbage. I do have a PodXT Live that I haven't tried throught e Jr yet...I am looking forward to it though.
Forum II # 8 of 10