How to correct this problem with this guitar?

Started by Danny K, August 27, 2006, 01:08:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

On my Larrivee LV-03 playing the 1st fret 6 string F major chord is difficult and frequently you can not all of the notes well.  The G major (3rd fret) I can play with no problem.  I sanded (lowered) the guitars bridge, that did not help much, if any. What can I do to remove this problem?

Thanks, Daniel

If you have a problem fretting at the 1st fret you likely need t pay attention to the nut slot depth. Try placing a capo on the 1st fret and then barre a major F chord. If it is considerably easier with the capo this indicates that the nut slots may not be deep enough.

If you are skilled, and have the right tools, you can tackle this yourself. If not, go see a guitar tech.
Ron

+1
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

It is a bit easier to play with the capo on.  I'd just leave the capo on if the unfretted strings were as good as they are without a capo, but they aren't.
I'd put a Tusq nut in place of the one I have if it were not as difficult as I'm thinking it will be.
As far as fixing (improving) the slots the nut it already has, I am mechanically inclined and have some files.  But am a bit nervous about doing.  As far as taking it to a tech.  That could be expensive and I don't have much money.  So I will probably try to do it myself.

Uncle Rob, what is the best way for me to do this?
Thanks, Daniel

Daniel,

have a look at this site: http://www.frets.com/FRETSPAGES/Musician/GenSetup/Nuts/nuts1.html

If what you see there doesn't scare you off, have a go at it! It is fairly simple and straight forward.
Ron

Adjust the relief before you start screwing with the nut.  If it isn't right the string tension won't be quite right either and it won't play well at the nut anyway.

What Ron and Rob just said.
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

Tension adjustment...It has been loosened, which did not noticeably change anything.
The Capo improved things a bit, but there was still need of improvement for me.  Playing at the 10th fret and higher is work also.
The main guitar I used for about 3-4 years before this one is a Tacoma RoadKing, which has a longer fretboard than this Larrivee, so the string is longer, so there is less tension...Other than this problem the Larrivee does seem like a better guitar to me, though I'm still trying to make this Rosewood guitar have a sound that is as bright as my Mahogany Tacoma.

Who is in or near Erie County (Erie, PA) that you would recommend I take my guitar to?

Thanks, Daniel

Quote from: Danny K on September 05, 2006, 11:47:44 PM

Who is in or near Erie County (Erie, PA) that you would recommend I take my guitar to?

Great idea, some things sound easier than they are and cannot be undone only repaired. :thumb
2004 Larrivee Parlor BW
2003 Larrivee L-03 BW
2002 Larrivee D-03 BW x 2

As far as the idea of putting a Tusq Nut in, I have since found out that is probably what it has.  But still think this nut needs a guitar doctor!

Shortly after I received this guitar I adjusted the screw for the neck (loosed it a bit), but never noticed an improvement.  Should it be loosened even more?

When I lowered the Saddle, was I improving the action like I thought I was?

Does anyone know of a good person in or near Erie County (Erie, PA) that you would recommend I take my guitar to?

Quote from: Danny K on September 05, 2006, 11:47:44 PM

The main guitar I used for about 3-4 years before this one is a Tacoma RoadKing, which has a longer fretboard than this Larrivee, so the string is longer, so there is less tension...

Just wanted to clear up a misstatement. The more you increase the scale (longer fretboard) the more tension you are putting on the neck. You have to tighten the strings more to reach the same note so the tension will be greater not less. This is why a Les Paul bends strings easier than a Strat or Tele. (Although unclrob can bend either perfectly well with 14s, what a guy!)  :GRN>

:nana_guitar :nanadance :nana_guitar :nanadance :nana_guitar :nanadance :nana_guitar

And the band played on!
Don

Larrivée D-09BW
Larrivée LV-03BW
Larrivée OM-03K
Larrivée LV-03-12
Martin D-18 RIP :crying:
Mossman Tennessee 12
Gretsch Chet Atkins DC
Gretsch Tennessee Rose
Fender Am. Stratocaster
Guild X-170T Manhattan
Fender 90s Telecaster Custom
Guild Starfire 5
Gretsch 5422 12 String
G&L ASAT Deluxe Semi

Quote from: dbirchett on September 07, 2006, 04:08:14 PM
Just wanted to clear up a misstatement. The more you increase the scale (longer fretboard) the more tension you are putting on the neck. You have to tighten the strings more to reach the same note so the tension will be greater not less. This is why a Les Paul bends strings easier than a Strat or Tele. (Although unclrob can bend either perfectly well with 14s, what a guy!)  :GRN>

This Tacoma is the easiest of my guitars to bend the strings, even when using 13s, which are the ones I liked best on it.

I wish I could find out who would be the best person to take my Larrivee to.  I don't have much money, but this guitar needs to be set up by someone that knows how.

Ask around town who does the best work.Thiers always someone who know's someone.
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

I've got to say that if I were you I wouild not mess with the nut myself.  In fact, I would find a way to get my guitar to a good tech and ask him'her to do a full set up including any necessary adjustments to the nut.  I predict you will be very happy if you do that. It can make a world of difference.  I always assume that any new or used guitar I purchase will need a set up.  I usually wait a few months to let the guitar acclimate to my environment and then give it a complete once over.
Rob

Bourgeois Vintage OM
Larrivee D-05 MT