How do you maintain humidity?

Started by noonantx, August 28, 2006, 01:43:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I just bought a D-09 and am concerned about the humiduty level in my home? Do any of you check in to this, and if so, how do you measure and maintain humidity?

There is a great section on the Larrivee website dealing with humidity: http://www.larrivee.com/flash/features/education/humidity/humidity.html

Welcome to the Forum, and congratulations on getting a great guitar!
Ron

:ph34r:

Buy a digital Hydrometer immediately.  About $20 for a good one.  It depends on where you live.  If you live in floridia (lets say) you won't have do much if anything and if you live in New York for example, You are gonna do a lot of humidifying during winter

or a 'hygrometer'. digital about $40.00

I am assuming, from your email address, that you are in Dallas. I live a little south of you. I, as many others, am using a digital hydrometer. In the winter you will definitely need to humidify. I humidify my music room. Most of the summer will be dry enough to require added moisture as well. In the summer I use a Dampit and keep guitars in the case. This is what works for me. Good luck
2006 Larrivee P-05
1971 Guild D-50
1972 Yamaha FG180

OK I live in a 2,000 sqft home in Dallas. Is there a machine that will maintain humidity for the entire house?

Thanks...

Welcome to the forum noonantx.

I agree you should get a hygrometer ASAP.  This will let you know what is going on in your guitar case.  Read up on controlling humidity on the Larrivée site and if you have more questions we can give you more info.

There are two ways to humidify your guitar in the case, or the entire room.  The cheapest way is to just control the humidity in your guitar case.  Planet Waves makes a small digital sensor and a sound hole humidifier that works good.  

The next way is to humidify the entire room that the guitar is stored in.  There are a number of room humidifiers available, I use two Hunter models and keep my entire house and music room between 40%~50% Relative Humidity.  2000' is a lot for one of these units.  They make units that can be attached to a furnace but they cost plenty.  You may be better to just humidify one room where you store your guitar.

Steve

One more thing.

Those Planet Waves sensors and sound hole humidifiers are on sale right now w/ free shipping at Music123.  Great deal if anyone is looking for one of these combos for winter. :GRN>

You can get whole house units that will attached to your HVAC system but are not often found or are necessary in North Texas (I own a home inspection company that services DFW area) and can be pricey. During the summer you do not want to humidify your whole house or even a room. The increased humidity will make your house feel warmer and I know you don't want that in Texas. You can find units at the Home Depot/Lowe's type stores that should keep up with the moisture needs for your home in Dallas during the winter. These units will also make your home feel more confortable during the winter. But the in case humidifier is the type you want for summer and can easily take care of your winter needs as well. Hope this helps clearifs things somewhat.
2006 Larrivee P-05
1971 Guild D-50
1972 Yamaha FG180

Thanks to everyone! I owned a Martin DC-16 for several years and made no attempt to maintain humidity, but I will with this  :wacko:one. I had no problems with the Martin. I traded it in and was considered in near mint condition...

I used to use the PlanetWaves soundhole humidifier but once you get past two or three guitars it becomes a labour intensive proposition. You also don't get more than two seasons out of the soundhold humidifier even when you use distilled water. Plus you have to keep your guitars in their cases! Humidifying the whole house to the level needed to maintain my guitars in the winter causes windows to condense and sweat and cause warpage on wood frames.

So I decided to humidify just my music room/recording studio/office with a warm mist humidifier. I've had it for two winter seasons so far and it works beautifully and is low maintenance.

Here is the unit I'm talking about:

They run about $50. You take the easy carry water tank and fill it with distilled water and just drop it back into place. Set it to 45% RH and just keep filling it when it needs water. If the RH dips below your setting it turns on. The only maintenance I do is to clean the immersion heater element once every two weeks (during heavy use months). That's easy too! Just throw a switch and the top of the unit comes off. Pour some CLR into the bottom pan and let it sit for five or ten minutes. Rinse and replace the water.

It IS important to use distilled water if you are in a hard water area or you'll get a fine powder deposited on everything in the room! I have a water distiller as well so the "making" of water is easy.
2016 Martin 000-28vs 12 fret

2014 Taylor 814ce

2014 Godin Multiac Classical

2012 Gibson "The Golden Age 1930's" SJ200

2012 Squier Vintage Modified 70's Jazz Bass

2010 Gretsch Electromatic G5122DC

2009 Taylor GA3-12e

2004 Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster

1981 Rickenbacker 320JG

1968 Yamaha FG150 Red La

Quote from: Steve on August 28, 2006, 03:21:13 PM
One more thing.

Those Planet Waves sensors and sound hole humidifiers are on sale right now w/ free shipping at Music123.  Great deal if anyone is looking for one of these combos for winter. :GRN>

Here is the link, great product

http://music123.com/Planet-Waves-Humidifier-and-Control-Sensor-Combo-Pack-i125360.music

:nana_guitar PBJT

10 Larrivee 00-03R 
09 CA Cargo
09 Taylor GA SS
06 Taylor 714CE
05 Santa Cruz OM S
04 Baby Taylor

Heres a NOT SO GOOD way :roll    Like a Letterman thing...will it float??

See the incredible floating guitar

D-02E

You can always move to the UK  :thumb we have plenty humidity !  I got quite excited a couple of months back when my hygrometer actually dipped 1% below its 42% trigger level...... then rushed to refill my soundhole humidifier and seal my precious "Billie" in her case with it.... :rolleyes:

1992 Larrivée L-09 Koa

My hydrometer in my Texas home today is at 35% (typical), but my guitars are happy in the cases.
2006 Larrivee P-05
1971 Guild D-50
1972 Yamaha FG180