Soundhole cover.

Started by pockethero, August 26, 2006, 10:55:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hello there,

I am new to the forum. I own an SC-05 for close to ten years and is my most precious possession. Recently I been trying to install a Soundhole cover to eliminate feedback on stage. I bought a lutehole cover and a Dean Markley, both were too big for my soundhole, I was wondering if anyone out there has had any experience with this "feedback eliminators" and if so which fits nicely. thank you!

The "Feedback Buster" from Kaman Music fits my L05 like a glove. I haven't had to use it much though, because my LRBaggs iBeam just doesn't feedback that much.
2016 Martin 000-28vs 12 fret

2014 Taylor 814ce

2014 Godin Multiac Classical

2012 Gibson "The Golden Age 1930's" SJ200

2012 Squier Vintage Modified 70's Jazz Bass

2010 Gretsch Electromatic G5122DC

2009 Taylor GA3-12e

2004 Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster

1981 Rickenbacker 320JG

1968 Yamaha FG150 Red La

I use the "Feedback Buster" with my L03, due to feedback problems in high volume situations.  Pup is the K&K Mini Western - a very nice sounding pickup, but somewhat prone to feedback..
Patrick
Martin HD28-LSV
Gibson L-50(?)
Taylor NS32CE
LaPatrie Etude
Blueridge BR-341
Washburn Mando

I have the mahogany LuteHole soundcover that fits both my Martin D28 and my Washburn D10SCE ( the latter sounds pretty darned good when plugged in and playing live ).  This very same soundhole cover ( if needed)  will also fit my Larrivee D03 ( have not yet decided on a pickup system for this guitar) .

IMHO - I'll never use a rubber soundhole plug ever again - the Lute hole covers are much more superior in terms of being able to preserve some measure of acoustic resonance . plus they are visually striking.  But it's the preservation of instrument sound quality that makes them so much better to use.

IF your instrument cannot accomodate a "stock size" lute hole cover , then two options : 1) Lutehole Co can make customized sizes , or 2) you can do some discreet filing of the cover on your own - I have, and it works - at least on dreadnaught sized different makes of guitar.

I remember seeing John Stewart play at what have come to be called "The Phoenix Concerts". He taped a square of cardboard over the soundhole of his D-41. That was back in the days when we used soundboard pickups mounted on the top of the soundboard. Can you say F.R.A.P.?

:nana_guitar :nanadance :nana_guitar :nanadance :nana_guitar
Don

Larrivée D-09BW
Larrivée LV-03BW
Larrivée OM-03K
Larrivée LV-03-12
Martin D-18 RIP :crying:
Mossman Tennessee 12
Gretsch Chet Atkins DC
Gretsch Tennessee Rose
Fender Am. Stratocaster
Guild X-170T Manhattan
Fender 90s Telecaster Custom
Guild Starfire 5
Gretsch 5422 12 String
G&L ASAT Deluxe Semi

Yep I remember duck's taped over my soundhole.....wait I meant duct tape and cardboard........ :arrow
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

I already bought a lutehole cover, you are right they are very good looking but it didn't fit, then I borrowed my friend's Dean Markley, also too big, finally I bought the Kaiman music that some of you recommended, fits my d28 but not my larrivee. I guess I'm gonna have to "kick it old school" with the tape and the cardboard. I think my guitar model (SC05) was produced with a smaller soundhole, It was back when Jean was only in Canada so maybe is the "canadian style hole" I don`t know.  :UND>

Cut a round piece of plastic, slightly larger than your sound hole. Cut a piece of foam, slightly smaller than the plastic and just about the same diameter as your soundhole or maybe just a very slight bit larger. Glue it to the plastic. Then you can push the foam into the soundhole and the pressure will hold it in place. Presto, your very own homemade feedback reducer. You can decorate it as you please.

:nanadance :nana_guitar :nanadance :nana_guitar :nanadance :nana_guitar :nanadance
Don

Larrivée D-09BW
Larrivée LV-03BW
Larrivée OM-03K
Larrivée LV-03-12
Martin D-18 RIP :crying:
Mossman Tennessee 12
Gretsch Chet Atkins DC
Gretsch Tennessee Rose
Fender Am. Stratocaster
Guild X-170T Manhattan
Fender 90s Telecaster Custom
Guild Starfire 5
Gretsch 5422 12 String
G&L ASAT Deluxe Semi

You might also consider one of these.  You can find used ones for under $100 on eBay.

Sabine single channel Feedback exterminator:
http://www.sabine.com/resources/FBX/Literature/FBX-SOLO-820-3-page.pdf#search=%22fbx%20solo%22
So many songs - so little time...
Finger Picking good Folk, Blues, Gospel, Roots, Rags, and Originals
www.davidberchtold.com

I have been having the same trouble.   I have a LV-03re that has a 3 3/4" soundhole.  I have tried the planet waves and the Dean Markley.  Think I'm going to have to resort to making my own.  I'm not a huge fan of the design of the lute holes.  I would use one if it were solid and not cut out.  hmm

I've used a Feedback Buster for years. The Lute Hole Covers will not do near as good of a job because they will not seal the sound hole as well. They are much more decorative, but they are also very porous.

You might try defining the problem and trying to fix it "on stage". Sometimes just moving a monitor or standing in a different postion can eliminate the majority of it. Moving over a few feet to the right or left can really help. Is it feedback or guitar resonance that is giving you the problem? Are the main speakers in front of you pointing out or behind you? Floor monitor, stand monitor, or ear buds? Is the monitor pointed at the guitar?

I used to play with a floor monitor and moved it to my left at a 90 degree angle. That stopped the interaction with my top and internal mic... solution. Then, I moved to a smaller monitor and mounted it on a stand. That worked well too. Eventually, we all moved to ear buds and now it isn't an issue at all.
"The barrier to knowledge is the belief that you have it"

2006 Larrivee LV-10 MR   1980 Les Paul Custom Natural   2008 Larrivee LV-03-12   1998 Carvin LB75 Koa Bass

Lutehole Co. has different levels of coverage available, light , med, heavy & will custom design one for you too. I'm sure they will do a solid if you like but the cover (feedback buster etc) is designed to block the frequency feeding back from resonating inside your guitar and interrupt the cycle from speaker to mic, not block the sound. Some use the lutehole cover to modify, or quiet the sound of the guitar permanently, or some use it for latenight practice etc., personally I use a heavy design of my own just for feed back and rarely need to use it at all. You really have to be in a bad situation placement wise with your monitor, or be screamin' loud with little EQ control to produce feedback that can not be managed with a tweak of the offending frequency. I have a Behringer feedback destroyer for my PA that seeks and kills the frequencies feeding back automatically for each room, works pretty good, but if I turn and face a monitor or amp I am going to get feedback with an acoustic guitar. If you are playing in a rock band in small clubs and need to crank it you are likely going to need a roll back on your EQ before any feedback device would be of benefit. I just noticed this thread is from 2006, this issue has likely been resolved. but here is the buster/lutehole designed for me.

[attachment deleted by admin]
08 Larrivee L05-12
02 Larrivee DV-09
73 Granada Custom
Kids got the others  :)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=797065

What do these lute hole covers do for an unamplified git?  Do they take much away? I really like their look but never play my D03HH plugged in....
:donut :donut :donut :donut
Larrivee D-03 HH
1991 Marc Beneteau Dread
'70s Joodee YW40M
Early 70's El Degas MT10

I think, in the long run, you're better off controlling your signal. A good pre-amp DI with EQ might be a better idea.