Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: You read the reviews, but...  (Read 795 times)
Larry V.

Ignore
« on: August 26, 2006, 08:48:12 PM »

Used D-03R: $535
K&K Pure Western Mini factory second on ebay: $70
Elixer Nanoweb light-medium strings: $9
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The sound coming through the church PA system this morning: Priceless

Seriously, I was amazed.  I read all the reviews by people on Harmony central on the K&K, as well as the ones here on the forum, and thought "Ok, it probably sounds pretty good".  So I picked one up on ebay from K&K.  I won the bid Tuesday at about noon EST, and paid immediately.  I had them ship USPS priority mail from Coos Bay, OR to Podunk northern Maine, and had it in my mailbox Friday morning.  Well worth the $7 shipping.  I was skeptical about doing the install (I work with computers, not wood.  My two best woodworking tools are hammer, and hammer).  But I read the directions and went for it last night.  It really was pretty easy.  I went slow, and dealt with a puking daughter in between steps, but it still went according to plan. 

I just received the guitar on Wednesday, and was pretty happy with it.  However, it had D'Adario strings on it, and I really couldn't wait to get them off.  They sounded harsh and jangly, which is not what I am looking for out of a rosewood Larrivee.  I finished stringing and tuning it about 1:30 this morning, and had to be up at 5:30 for a men's prayer breakfast, so I didn't get to try it amplified until I got to church.  I had the worship leader use my new D-03R instead of his D10E.  When it was first plugged in I was afraid it wasn't working, because when I stepped off the stage (he didn't have the monitors running - solo worship) I didn't hear any difference.  Then we increased the house volume, and the sound of my new Larrivee (which just SINGS with the Elixer light-mediums on it) increased.  But it sounded just like the guitar - only louder.  And it really sounded great.  So great that the worship leader is going to be replacing the UST in his D10 with a K&K. 

I almost feel a little bad, because based upon what I heard this morning my cedar Taylor 710CE just earned a spot as the alternate tuning/backup guitar behind my D03R.  I know I sound like a paid hack for K&K, but I am really impressed with the ability of those 3 little discs to reproduce the sound of my guitar without sounding synthetic.  Of course, if you are playing a crappy sounding guitar to start that may not be so good.  But if you are on the Larrivee forum because you own one, and you are thinking about putting in a pickup in it, do yourself a favor and try the K&K.

Larrivee DV10-E
Larrivee OMV03-RE
Larrivee D03-12
Daysailer

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2006, 04:31:28 AM »

Good  review and compentary.

Just  wish you had waited, I could have picked up to K&K next Wednesday when I go thrould Coos Bay on my way to our family Labor Day camping trip and Sailing Regatta.   I would have been happy to 'trial' the pick up for you.   :rolleyes:
Its strange how bits  and pieces fly back and forth accros  the country these days. 

Glad you like your new Larry'v        :GRN>

phill    :mellow:

L-03 BlackWood..... "Pluck"
OM-03- MT Forum #14/17
F-III IS/Hog #63/78....SOLD
Seagull Artist Folk
Pono and Kanile'a Tenor Ukulele's
The real Day Sailer...1966 Day Sailer..the boat, not the person
Randy_R
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2006, 12:22:47 PM »

its great when it all comes together....

Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519
Redeemed

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2006, 06:57:16 AM »

Larry V,

I actually had a VERY similar experience as your's when I first installed the K&K mini into my OM-03.  It was just amplified bliss. 

As a matter of fact, today I had another experience that was almost as satisfying as the initial plug-in.  I purchased the K&K pure XLR preamp from shoreline mid last week and received it yesterday (saturday).  And today at church, I got to try it out for the first time.  As great as the K&K pure mini's sound on their own... the Pure XLR preamp really brought it to life even more!  It was just incredible.. so loud, crisp, and brilliant.  The tone was amazingly full.  And the signal was incredibly strong.. even with the gain set all the way down.

Anyway.. since your worship leader is swapping to the mini's, maybe you guys should consider the Pure XLR preamp for your guitars.

-dan

2005 Larrivée OM-03
2013 Larrivée P-03 Koa

My Boss is a Jewish carpenter  <ixoye><
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: