Sustainable Woodlot in NS producing Adi Spruce

Started by ronmac, August 26, 2006, 02:43:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I just listened to a podcast from  CBC in Nova Scotia about a gentleman that is harvesting wood from a sustainable forest project that was established 1840. He is selectively cutting some adi trees to be used for guitarmaking.

The thing that struck me as the most interesting part of this article is his view that this forest is the important asset, not the wood that is harvested from it. A very refreshing idea in this age of slash and cash.

http://podcast.cbc.ca/mp3/maritimes_20060818_955.mp3

The segment runs from the 7:10 to 12:54 minute marks.

Here is a link to Mr. Drescher's woodlot site: http://www.windhorsefarm.org/forest.htm
Ron

its going to be hard to change the attitudes of the pioneers and foresters of the  north americas but its happening just as it did in europe 300 years ago

Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519

Sounds cool. I'll have to check it out when I am at a work station that can download that file.   We are a short sighted commodity based culture that rewards immediate profit. We don't do so well getting the bigger picture. I manage a tract of mountain timber and when it is time to do a cut there is always some pressure to do clear cutting and replanting in pine rather than to do a select harvest and maintain it as a hardwood tract. The state has historically assisted mostly in replanting of clear cuts tracts in pine which benefits the big companies like Westvaco more than individual land owners. They are slowly coming aroud to accept stewardship and conservancy concepts.  Game and Inland Fisheries has actually done alot more to promote maintaining healthy eco systems than Forestry. They do that without benefit of any appropriated funds. They are wholly funded by the fees charged for fishing and hunting licenses.