Pages: 1 ... 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Taylor Guitars  (Read 7879 times)
stuco

« Reply #80 on: September 05, 2006, 07:29:30 PM »

afro

Grow up RocknRoll.
jimmyd
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: September 05, 2006, 08:57:21 PM »

I apologize to everyone for inciting flames. All I wanted to do was add a bit of levity and maybe some perspective to a thread that is after all only about a guitar manufacturer. The positive and negative emotional investment players attach to instruments is amazing. Try to put yourself in the position of a person reading this with no background on these manufacturers. They would rightfully assume that we are all nuts suffering from some kind of obsessive disorder. In my case the diagnosis is confirmed.    Taylors get more than it's share of hate bashing. Probably because Bob Taylor is really Dan Rather.  :GRN>
HangFire
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: September 06, 2006, 04:53:41 AM »

I apologize to everyone for inciting flames.

Thanks for the apology jimmyd but I for one don't think it was you that started anything nor was it roknroll, jmo... -_-

Taylor does what they do very well but so does Larrivee, it's just a matter of what we like better. I think my Larrivees are less the machine than Taylors, again jmo.

2004 Larrivee Parlor BW
2003 Larrivee L-03 BW
2002 Larrivee D-03 BW x 2
whiskeyjack

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: September 06, 2006, 05:58:13 AM »

Try to put yourself in the position of a person reading this with no background on these manufacturers. They would rightfully assume that we are all nuts suffering from some kind of obsessive disorder. In my case the diagnosis is confirmed.    Taylors get more than it's share of hate bashing. Probably because Bob Taylor is really Dan Rather. 

Now THAT is perspective.  Especially the revelation that Bob Taylor is actually Dan Rather.  Who woulda' thunk it??    Nutt me!   :rolleyes:

whiskeyjack:  Perisoreus canadensis.  aka, gray jay, whiskey jay, whiskeyjack or timber jay.   A small, friendly bird of the northern coniferous forest.
flaggerphil

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: September 06, 2006, 10:28:13 AM »

...but flaggerphil  had said that Taylor was attempting to glamorize mahogany by calling it sapele. That's simply not the case. they are different species. They call it sapele because it is sapele; not mahogany. they use the term "African mahogany" to describe sapele because they look similar and their properties are somewhat similar.

Actually, someone else said that, not me.  While some call sapele "African mahogany", it's true name is sapele and it's been used as a guitar wood for some time.  Its species is Entandrophragma cylindricum and it is native to west Africa.  It sounds similar to American mahogany, but somewhat brighter.  Taylor uses it in its 200 series and as a laminate in its 100 series.  It USED to use it in its 300 series.

African mahogany is Khaya anthotheca and, while it's similar to American mahogany in sound and looks, it's not a true mahogany.  It's also not sapele, which is striped (generally) and very orange in color.  Taylor uses African mahogany in its 300 series.  It sounds very much like American mahogany, is much more plentiful, and, like sapele, is native to west Africa.

Got it?  There will be a quiz.

Phil

"History is something that never happened, written by someone who wasn't there."

R. Taylor Style 1 WR
Taylor T5-C Cocobolo
Taylor GS Custom
Taylor PG-LTD
Taylor 600-SPEC
Taylor 510-LTD
Taylor 510 Cocobolo
Taylor 412-M
Queequeg
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: September 06, 2006, 02:52:43 PM »

my bad, flaggerphil. It was the_sound_of_acoustic_soul who said that.
And my reading confirms your post above.
And yes, it does all get a bit arcane, but for those of us who obsess about this stuff.
Enough already. I'm going to play my 00-60 Larrivee now.
Pages: 1 ... 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: