Pages: 1 [2] 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Taylor Guitars  (Read 7882 times)
Trent in WA

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2006, 07:25:58 PM »

I'm not a huge fan of the Taylor sound, but I wouldn't consider them more "manufactured" than other production acoustics.  They all cut corners in various places to make their guitars profitable at particular price points.  I love my OM-03R, but compared to my other acoustic, a early '90s Martin OOO-16 (similar price point), you can definitely see where Larrivee made their economies.  The Martin is much, much lighter than the Larrivee;  the top, sides, and back are thinner, and the braces are smoothed and finished.  The Larrivee is built more like a truck, with thicker, heavier woods and unfinished bracing.  They both sound great, though, so I won't complain a bit. 

I admire Taylor not just for their willingness to innovate but for some of their innovations themselves.  The finger joint, at least in some instances, might be ugly as homemade sin, but it's considerably stronger than the standard head / neck joint (or lack thereof) that's typical of steel-string guitars, and if I'm not mistaken Taylor's going to the more traditional (at least in guitar building) scarf joint there.  And the bolt-on neck construction is brilliant;  using it turns a neck reset from a major maintenance operation to something that can be done by a competent tech in a half hour.  (If you think bolt-on necks compromise the sound of a guitar, I invite you to play a Collings.)

I've not played many Taylors that made me want to take one home, but that's not because of how they're built, but how they're voiced.

Trent
Peter Cree
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2006, 01:24:42 PM »

I agree with the voicing.  And the set-up, though low enough to entice people into thinking its a good thing, loses the essential fundamentals that a slightly higher and boned guitar would have.  Martins are the better guitar for the buck and Larri's are a downright steal for what you get.

Peter
creestudios.com
Art Guitars and more
bing4sons
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2006, 04:18:05 PM »

Martins are the better guitar for the buck

Only IF you like Martins better than you do Taylors.  I happen to prefer Taylors over Martins.  One is not better than the other, just different.

Bing

Larrivee J-09FM
Taylor 814ce
Music Man Axis SS w/piezo
stuco

« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2006, 05:45:18 PM »

afro

I personally admit that taylors to begin with are nice guitars that offer something different in sound and appearance.  That being said, I agree that they seem way overpriced, like I"ve said before they remind me of the PRS of the acoustic world.  Also, I would say that producing 1,000 guitars a day over 500 a day is more "mass produced".  Finally, the advertising is a turn-off for me as well.  People think taylors are the best you can get which is far from the truth.  If I was fourteen and my dad was a CEO I'm sure I would have one. 
Roman

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2006, 06:11:15 PM »

People think taylors are the best you can get which is far from the truth.  If I was fourteen and my dad was a CEO I'm sure I would have one. 

:rolleyes:

Johnson L Body
A&L AMI
Cort Earth 900
Taylor Big Baby
Gold Tone PBR
Regal RC-51
Fender R48
Ariana Classical
Seagull Artist Grand
Gibson SJ
Gibson J-55
Taylor 355
Taylor 414
Larrivée L-05
Guild D-55
Taylor 614ce
Taylor 714ce
Taylor 814c
Kent archtop
Silvertone archtop
Les Paul Custom
stuco

« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2006, 07:00:28 PM »

afro

Yes and....
dodge

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2006, 06:10:09 PM »

The topic of Taylor guitars being overpriced seems to come up frequently on guitar forums. I just wonder why that is, is it because a lot of people would like to own one and cannot afford one or does someone really want to own one and wants justification that it is actually worth the high price, or is it the high price of Taylors compared to other brands just plain irks people. No-one is putting a gun to your head and saying you must buy a Taylor or else, so why is it such a big issue, seems simple to me if you don't like them buy something else. :GRN> I do think the new Taylor GS is a great sounding guitar and a the price is reasonable.
stuco

« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2006, 07:17:02 PM »

afro

I think yes their price irks people.  And you(dodge) are contributing to the issue I suppose as well.  After all, this is a guitar forum where people discuss guitars and Taylor is one of the two major acoustic guitar brands so it is natural for people to discuss them(and their opinions of taylor/martin guitars).   I would also like to say that the GS series seems to be positive change for taylor. 
rpg51

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2006, 10:03:59 PM »

Whether the instrument is mass produced or hand built is of no consequence.  Its the quality of the end product that matters.  And the price. Larrivee's are clearly mass produced as are Taylors and Martins and etc. etc.  If you thnk the quality/price ratio is better with the Larrivee - I certainly do - then buy a Larrivee.  I have noticed that Larrivee is gradually attempting to move into the higher priced market.  My experience, limited to owning one high end Larrivee guitar - an OM-50, is that they don't quite cut it in that arena.  The are very pretty, but I honestly don't think the performance of an OM-50 is any greater than an OM-05, perhaps not even as good.  If you leave 05 and 09 series to the more expensive stuff I think you do better taking a good gulp and going up to Santa Cruz for example.  My 2 cents.

Rob

Bourgeois JOM Cedar
Bourgeois Vintage OM
Bourgeois Vintage D
Gibson A4 Mandolin (1916)
Queequeg
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2006, 06:41:09 PM »

What does 'going too far over in the mass production realm.  They make over a thousand guitars every day.  Does that mean the guys that only make 500 per day aren't in the mass production realm yet?  How about the guys who make 100 per day, or the ones that make 50?

In my opinion, the guy who makes a batch of 12 guitars in 3 months, which is what most of the hand builders do, is the only guy who *hasn't* entered mass production.  The rest are already there.  As to how far, I would ask what the difference is between the numbers above.  So 1,000 per day is somehow more mass production than 500 per day?  I don't think so.

E. Shoaf
where in the world did  that number come from, "over a thousand guitars every day"? I hope you pulled that out of the air and don't mean to suggest that this is Taylor's production number. Latest number I was able to get on that was 270/day.
You can call it mass production if you like. I call it consistency with precision. 'Hand made' is not synonymous with 'well made'.
It has certainly become very fashionable to bash Taylor these days, not just here but elsewhere too. I have some really nice Larrivees @ home, but I really like my Taylor guitar, and some of the things people are saying about them are simply ridiculous.
flaggerphil

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2006, 08:35:38 AM »

Why do so many people think Taylors are over priced?  I've bought a number over the years, obviously still have some, and have never paid more than I thought they were worth.  Same with the Larrivees.  When you compare comparable models, the prices seem to be pretty close, from what I've seen.

Maybe people just have to shop around a bit more? 

I'm not saying there aren't some great deals to be had with Larrivees, there are...but there are a lot of stores where the deals aren't so great...just like with any brand of guitar.

Phil

"History is something that never happened, written by someone who wasn't there."

R. Taylor Style 1 WR
Taylor T5-C Cocobolo
Taylor GS Custom
Taylor PG-LTD
Taylor 600-SPEC
Taylor 510-LTD
Taylor 510 Cocobolo
Taylor 412-M
Hoser Rob

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2006, 12:52:35 PM »

...  Seems to me there just isn't the personal touch anymore, SO MUCH CNCing or whatever they use...

Do you honestly think they use more or less CNC machining than anyone else?  Every factory does it.

I'm not trying to praise or dump Taylors.  They're not really my taste but I can see why people like them.  This sort of bashing strikes me as buyer's remorse.
Queequeg
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2006, 01:25:05 PM »

Why do so many people think Taylors are over priced?  I've bought a number over the years, obviously still have some, and have never paid more than I thought they were worth.  Same with the Larrivees.  When you compare comparable models, the prices seem to be pretty close, from what I've seen.

One reason they may be perceived as over-priced is because the resale value demonstrates significant depreciation. More so than many other brand names.
The good news is that there are exceptional values on used Taylors.
LaminateBoy

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2006, 02:50:32 PM »

2 - i think the "hip" marketing by taylor has officially turned me off. they now remind me more of starbucks than a guitar company. it used to seem like it was about the guitar, and the music, but now it seems to be more about "image" and a certain kind of person playing their guitars. this very thing probably appeals to lots of ppl, but to me it is a turn-off.

I guess their marketing works because they keep doing it, but it completely turns me off, too. The new ads are as bad as the old ones.

L-04 koa
L-03-12
Parlor (mahogany)
Forum III MT
Yamaha FG-180
Gretsch Sundown Serenade
Fender Stratocaster
Calvin
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2006, 05:26:25 PM »

I dont think they are overprice per se.  But I do know that for 2500-3000, I'll go buy a less adorned Bourgeois or Collings.  Which I will go out on a limb to say, are BETTER GUITARS, with HIGHER RESALE VALUE, and with MORE COLLECTABILITY.  Finally you just feel better, because eventhough it hardly matters, the thought of master luthiers actually working on your guitars using SIGNIFICANT AMOUNT OF TIME, makes me feel like I am getting a deal!!!  And psychology is important.

Are Taylors overpriced? that's for the market to decide.  Frankly, I couldn't careless, because at their prices I wouldn't buy one (at least new, although I would like a used 512c at some point).  Not because I couldn't afford one, but because the alternatives are so much better, as long as you are actually aware of what's available in the market.

Larrivee LSV-05
Larrivee LV-09FM
Larrivee CS-30
Yamaha Chronos LL-16
Yamaha Pacifica 112J
Martin LX-1
Fender American Stratocaster Delux
Fender Mexican Stratocaster
Fender Mexican Telecaster
Rivera Sedon
pickngrin

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2006, 06:07:04 PM »

My favorites are Martin & Larrivee for many reasons which I won't get into. I cannot get past the fingerjoint and therefore I won't buy a Taylor unless I find a firesale on a used one. Just my 2 cents and I understand that YMMV.

The Starbucks marketing hype doesn't do it for me either.

Martin 0M-28 Marquis
Martin HD-28VS
Harmony Sovereign H1260
Larrivee Bakersfield
Taylor GS Mini
Alvarez Yairi CY130
Peter Cree
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2006, 07:21:36 PM »

As far as I'm concerned I don't care whether one plays any brand or pays whatever price.  I just want hear good playing.

Peter
creestudios.com
Art Guitars and more
Roman

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2006, 07:44:10 PM »

As far as I'm concerned I don't care whether one plays any brand or pays whatever price.  I just want hear good playing.

I'll drink to that!

Johnson L Body
A&L AMI
Cort Earth 900
Taylor Big Baby
Gold Tone PBR
Regal RC-51
Fender R48
Ariana Classical
Seagull Artist Grand
Gibson SJ
Gibson J-55
Taylor 355
Taylor 414
Larrivée L-05
Guild D-55
Taylor 614ce
Taylor 714ce
Taylor 814c
Kent archtop
Silvertone archtop
Les Paul Custom
ronmac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2006, 07:50:16 PM »

That's the most sensible response to any topic I have heard in quite some time!

Ron

Darrell111

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2006, 10:22:17 PM »

Do you honestly think they use more or less CNC machining than anyone else?  Every factory does it.

I'm not trying to praise or dump Taylors.  They're not really my taste but I can see why people like them.  This sort of bashing strikes me as buyer's remorse.

Ha no sir not buyers remorse at all :D

I am VERY happy with my Larry. 

Let me give you an example of what im talking about.  Taylor having the name that they do are able to sell their 110 for around 600 bucks.  Good sir, have you seen one up close?  Have you seen the build quality and the cost saving techniques they put into that thing?  NO back bracing, just a molded back to name one thing.  Im sorry to say but ill be you the cost to manufacture that guitar is much much much MUCH less then what the sell it for.  The ONLY reason they can sell that guitar for what they do is because it says Taylor on the headstock.  Period.  I think Taylors sound great, dont get me wrong.  I just think that people pay for the name in more cases then not when they buy Taylor.  When i purchased my Larrive and started looking in the first place I had never heard of Larrivee.  Initially i played some Martins and taylors and yes they sound great but for what i wanted feature and sound wise i had to fork out 2k plus to get it within those brands.  Then a friend of mine ( a professional guitarist) showed me his Larry.  I started pricing and couldnt understand how this guitar had the same if not better features to offer then a guitar 1k more.  I played some Larry's, played the others some more and was SOLD.   Then went to Guitar Center after i received my LV-05 and the reps were all over my guitar when we took it in the store.  We all agreed it sounded better then guitars in the same price range and as good or if not better then guitars prices 1k or more. 

Thats why i brought this up
Good day

Pages: 1 [2] 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: