Linking to dealers

Started by dberch, August 16, 2006, 02:52:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Why would anyone want to belong to any club, organization, group or forum that is all bogged down with rules, by-laws and policies that are spewed out by the assistant to the boss, line and verse.  Mostly rules that are designed to make the boss feel important and do not really serve the group.

We have been in business for 36 years and do have a policy manual. 
There are two rules: 
(1) A deal is a deal (always keep your word).
(2) Never raise your voice.

These rules have served us and our customers well and we have never found a need for any other rules.

Personally, I am a guitar person and love to look at photos of beautiful guitars.  I don't care who posts them.
Why would anyone on a Larrivee guitar forum be offended if I should post a photo of a beautiful example of Jean Larrivee's method of personally doing sunburst finish?

Gayl
Gayl
Betterbilt Fretted Products

Quote from: Fretted Products on August 17, 2006, 08:59:43 AM
Personally, I am a guitar person and love to look at photos of beautiful guitars.  I don't care who posts them.
Why would anyone on a Larrivee guitar forum be offended if I should post a photo of a beautiful example of Jean Larrivee's method of personally doing sunburst finish?

I agree.  If there were a dealers section, if you didn't want to look in that forum, you wouldn't have to.  Like some other have mentioned, I don't have time to look at every dealers inventory, to see if they have something I might be interested in, or just enjoy looking at.

I can see where some folks got upset when dealers posted in the buy/sell forum, but if there was a section exclusively for them, I don't see where there would be an issue.
Bing

Larrivee J-09FM
Taylor 814ce
Music Man Axis SS w/piezo

I tend to agree with Bing and Gayl, as long as it could be done without turning the site into a pop-up spamfest. In fact I made a similar suggestion back in the early days of the forum that there ought to be a section for Dealers to be able to post their inventories and perhaps defray some of the bandwidth expense. http://www.larriveeforum.com/smf/index.php?topic=1041.msg6654#msg6654

That suggestion was shot down quickly and dropped. But what is interesting was that at that time, dealers frequently posted in the Buy, Sell, Trade section and that was one of the reasons offered (not by Zach) for not having a dealer's section.

Don

Larrivée D-09BW
Larrivée LV-03BW
Larrivée OM-03K
Larrivée LV-03-12
Martin D-18 RIP :crying:
Mossman Tennessee 12
Gretsch Chet Atkins DC
Gretsch Tennessee Rose
Fender Am. Stratocaster
Guild X-170T Manhattan
Fender 90s Telecaster Custom
Guild Starfire 5
Gretsch 5422 12 String
G&L ASAT Deluxe Semi

Quote from: ronmac on August 17, 2006, 06:37:14 AM
Rob makes some good points and identifies exactly why the rule was put into place.

The present rule really is the best compromise, IMHO. Dealers have every opportunity to prove themselves here as a valuable resource to Forum members. If they participate in the regular discussions, present themselves as knowledgeable and honourable individuals, and leave the pitching to their regular sales site, I would be inclined to visit the linked site they are allowed to include in their signature.

If a Dealer is only interested in showing off their inventory, or their latest "I can do better than the other guy" campaign, they hold little value to the Forum, again IMHO.

The present rule has helped to keep this place friendly and safe for all involved. Why change it?

Count me in this one...
Dan
Ypsilanti, Michigan

Fender F 265-C
Larrivee OM-03
Gibson SG 62' Reissue
Washburn Rover
Late 60's Crestwood Astral II

Quote from: unclrob on August 16, 2006, 09:52:34 PM
There was a time on this forum when the dealers advertized in the BUY,SELL,TRADE area and it got out of hand.When I worked for a dealer I also posted.After much BS it was decided by Zach that there would be no advertising of any sort by dealer's on the forum with the exception of there web address in the sign.All the BS stopped.As a repairperson/guitar seller and a forum member I see no point in using this place as unpaid advertizing space{Nor do I want this place setup to have paid advertizing}.Mentioning a good deal from a dealer is cool.Having a bad deal go down with a dealer is a ruff thing to deal with due to slander issue or that dealer threating liable.I think PMing each other should solve that problem.I wont post for sale stuff here because I have a website and I come here to get away from that.I want to read and enjoy the treads and goof a bit.

OK give me a head start to my cave before you start throwing rocks...............RUNAWAY.................. :GRN>

Rob, you are making sense to me.
As for the rules, I encourage Steve to enforce them. This forum cannot become a free for all. Look around, other forums have tried it and they have died a slow death.
If I want to know who is a good dealer for a particular guitar, can't someone just send me a personal message?
--Fred

Hi Gayl.  I think if what you say (about your opinion not being welcome here) were really true, then this thread would have been deleted. 

Steve, is it true that a dealer can't post or advertise the sale of their personal guitars?  You know, I think I can answer that myself.   Who wants to tackle the job of difining and verifying which guitars are a dealer's "personal" guitars?  Not me!  Esecially when we all know that the line between persoanl and business will most likely be stepped on frequently.

Guess if you're a dealer, you just have to suffer a bit in the advertising area on this forum due to the inappropriate actions of a few dealers.  Sorry, but I pesonally feel that's the right direction. 

David
So many songs - so little time...
Finger Picking good Folk, Blues, Gospel, Roots, Rags, and Originals
www.davidberchtold.com

QuoteSteve, is it true that a dealer can't post or advertise the sale of their personal guitars?  You know, I think I can answer that myself.   Who wants to tackle the job of defining and verifying which guitars are a dealer's "personal" guitars?  Not me!  Especially when we all know that the line between personal and business will most likely be stepped on frequently.

I agree.  Thanks for defining this part of the Dealer involvement David. :GRN>

I agree that the current rule is probably the best compromise there is.  This is a forum for larrivee players and fans, and not a dealer forum.  When I first started coming to the forum, there was really only 1 dealer who posted.  I started posting, then in quick succession more dealers came.  It soon became a dealer fest, with price wars and other unsavory activity.  It isn't possible to limit one dealer and not others, so I agreed with Zach that it was best that we not allow dealer advertising.  Even after the rule change there were some examples of people pushing the limits (i.e., "look at this pretty wood, not advertising though, wink wink").  I have become mostly a lurker now because I don't want my presence to detract from the free and open exchange of information on the forum.  I don't want anyone to think that if I post, there is an agenda behind it.  Enjoy the guitars, enjoy the people, but advertise elsewhere.  Status Quo works for me.  Jason
http://www.notableguitars.com
My guitars:

Larrivee OM-50
Fender Strat
Larrivee OM-03MT

Quote from: guitarcrazy on August 25, 2006, 02:12:22 PM
I agree that the current rule is probably the best compromise there is.  This is a forum for larrivee players and fans, and not a dealer forum.  When I first started coming to the forum, there was really only 1 dealer who posted.  I started posting, then in quick succession more dealers came.  It soon became a dealer fest, with price wars and other unsavory activity.  It isn't possible to limit one dealer and not others, so I agreed with Zach that it was best that we not allow dealer advertising.  Even after the rule change there were some examples of people pushing the limits (i.e., "look at this pretty wood, not advertising though, wink wink").  I have become mostly a lurker now because I don't want my presence to detract from the free and open exchange of information on the forum.  I don't want anyone to think that if I post, there is an agenda behind it.  Enjoy the guitars, enjoy the people, but advertise elsewhere.  Status Quo works for me.  Jason

It's been nice to see you posting a little again Jason!!!
Hope it happens more often.
-josh
Larrivee P-03MT
Martin 00
Epiphone Bluesmaster

+1.Jason,keep postig where else can I get info on airplane parts,that by the way I don't need because I'm not much into flying. :GRN>

PS I haven't seen you push the limits in your post.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Thanks Josh and Rob.  BTW Rob, if I get the bird down to Tallahassee area I'll take you for a ride.  You don't get airsick easily do you?  J
http://www.notableguitars.com
My guitars:

Larrivee OM-50
Fender Strat
Larrivee OM-03MT

Hey Jason, I don't see any reason why you should be lurking!

You follow the rules and support the forum.  We need knowledgable dealers that support this forum!  There is nothing wrong with dealers posting all they want.

So stop lurking and post away man. :GRN>

Steve

Jason,come on down bring the family and cook for all.As for flying no I don't get airsick but I do have this condition,Its call"I am not a bird so I prefer doing my flying with my feet on the ground".OK a few inches is ok. :GRN>
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help