Intellitouch tuners?

Started by stuco, August 13, 2006, 02:18:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

:ph34r:

Does anyone have experience with these intellitouch tuners that you stick on the headstock?  Accuracy?  Reliability? Battery Life?  Thanks

I use them sometime's no a bad tuner.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

I use the Intellitouch exclusively.  Very accurate.  Easy to use.  My only criticism is that occasionally mine has trouble on the low E.  When this happens, I just run through the rest of the strings and come back to it at the end.  Then it usually reads just fine.  I don't know why this happens but it's only a minor distraction.  The only other criticism I have heard is that the plastic arm is somewhat fragile and can break.  It comes with a case that protects it, plus I'm very careful with my equipment, so I have not found it to be a problem.
Jerry  #698

2001 Larrivee D-09
2001 Seagull M-6
1992 Alvarez 5040
c. 1995 Yamaha CG-150CA
1998 A&L Ami

Ok I just ordered the one with the backlight.  I read that you need to pluck the strings with your thumb for it to work properly.  Read some good reviews and some really bad reviews. It seems like a good idea if they could improve the technology and durability. 

I have used an Intellitouch for 3 years.  They are very accurate and reliable.  I have a bit of trouble tuning the high "E" string, but like jmhyer, it seems to work itself out after a few tries. 
2005 Larrivée  LV-03
2010 Larrivée  00-03 Forum IV
2011 Larrivée  RS-04
2013 Larrivée  D-40

+1 agreed with the others.  Use your thumb to twang the string.  I've used mine for two years.  It's nice.  US made as well.

It also works on my son's lute, for all 15 (:SHK>) strings.   
Play it daily for best results.

Here's a couple other options:

The square one came from Music 123 but they don't seem to have them anymore.  Do a search for IMT 500: there are several good deals on this one.  The Seiko is a little more sensitive.  Both work just fine except for the low E tuned down to D - both tuners get a little jumpy about that.
Larrivee OM-03R-12 string + IMix external
Martin 000-15S + IMix internal
Martin OM-16GTE + Fishman Matrix
Gretch 5120
Fender Squires - Tele & Strat

whiskeyjack:  Perisoreus canadensis.  aka, gray jay, whiskey jay, whiskeyjack or timber jay.   A small, friendly bird of the northern coniferous forest.

I use my Intellitouch PT-1 when I don't play amplified.  I find that I get better accuracy with my Boss TU-2 or TU-12.

Actually I'd like to find a Peterson Strobo Stomp at a good price.
Bing

Larrivee J-09FM
Taylor 814ce
Music Man Axis SS w/piezo

I have the Intellitouch PT-1 with backlight (currently around $50), and the Intelli IMT-500 (just got mine at Elderly Inst, under $30 to go with my new-from bleumax- L-03). I leave the Intellitouch with my Guild.

The Intellitouch has arrows to indicate which way to tune.( >>>E    ) or  (>>E   ) or (   E<<<)

The IMT-500 displays a digital needle.

I haven't compared the  two in terms of accuracy, but here are comments:

IMT-500 is quite a bit smaller and more easily fits in the accessory compartment in the Larivee case. It does not have a case however.

IMT-500 has more versatile jaws to clamp onto my fiddle for example. The Intellitouch would not do this.

In switching from string to string, the IMT-500 holds its needle display and just adjusts the note (E to A, etc) making it quicker to adjust all the strings.

I like the needle display nicer than the arrows, just an old fashioned analog guy I guess.

At the moment I tend to favor the IMT-500.
Old Folkie
1974 Guild D25 (Fishman Matrix PU)
2005 Larrivee L-03 (from bleumax) with K&K Pure Mini PU
Also dabble in fiddle, clawhammer banjo, cavequeno

I have used the intellitouch for a few years. The battery life is very good, when you start having trouble with erratic readings, you are probably due for a new battery. Old strings will cause similar problems. The low "E" has always been an issue with me. I find that if I fret at the 12th, pluck, it gets the vibration started and the indicator works correctly. You may need to find the sweet spot on where to attach the tuner, experiment by moving it around and seeing where you get consistant readings. I like the tuner when I play in a group as I can tune without the distraction of others. I use a fender pedal tuner when I am plugged in.
I recently bought a Meisel tuner. It is a nicer size and the meter is easier to read the the intellitouch. It is extremely accurate and is the only tuner I have found that works on a ukulele. Unlike the intellitouch the Meisels do not come with a case.
SD-60 SBT
O-50 TSB
OM-03 Koa
D-09 12 string
Gibson-J50
Gibson Blues King
A gaggle of ukes

I have used one for about two years now. I have the same problem as above with the E strings sometimes not registering. Also, if you use altered tunings, the low strings tend to be difficult to get readings on. But it is very good if you are playing in standard tuning and need to retune without any interference from other instruments (like the piano or other guitar players at chucrh).

Andy
Larrivee OM9
Larrivee PO-09 Koa
Breedlove SN20
Webber 000 Cedar/Maple

The Intellitouch isn't perfect and has its quirks, as mentioned above.  I like it for home use because it's so convenient; on stage, I prefer a Boss TU-2, but of course you have to have a pickup in your guitar to use that one.

FWIW, though, when I saw Men of Steel, Beppe Gambetta was using an Intellitouch.
D-03RE
D-03-12
00-50 TSB
OM-02

...and several other guitars.  Former Larrivees: P-01, OM-03R SH (Twelfth Fret special edition), P-01 Chris Hadfield special edition

+1 on the IMT-500.  The Meisel and the IMT-500 seem to be the same tuner.  I purchased one of these from Music 123 for $13.99, wish I would have bought 50 of them!

Just a great little tuner, very accurate and compact, super backlight.  Most people that have the Intellitouch and the IMT-500 prefer the IMT-500.  It was also compared to a Peterson and was found to be extremely accurate.

Elderly has them for 29.00. 

I would find this AFTER i ordered the intellitouch that costs $50 friggin dollars!

http://www.elderly.com/accessories/items/IMT500.htm

Ye-up.  That IS how it goes.
Larrivee OM-03R-12 string + IMix external
Martin 000-15S + IMix internal
Martin OM-16GTE + Fishman Matrix
Gretch 5120
Fender Squires - Tele & Strat

whiskeyjack:  Perisoreus canadensis.  aka, gray jay, whiskey jay, whiskeyjack or timber jay.   A small, friendly bird of the northern coniferous forest.

I have the Intellitouch PT1 ($50), Korg CA30 (street price $19, actually got it free with my Pete Anderson) and Boss TU15 ($90). Must say that of the three, I actually prefer the cheapo Korg (always accurate, doesn't care how you attack the strings). The worst of the lot is by far the Boss (bouncing needle syndrome gets frustrating). The PT1 used to drive me crazy on the E's as well, then some of the local bluegrass society (talk about oxymorons) members said that the PT1 can get over driven if you pluck the string to hard. They use a light pluck with bare fingers and have no problems. Better yet they suggested using harmonics, then eveen headstock position problems seem to go away. You might also trying taking it out of auto/prog mode and putting it in A 440 mode, that seemed to help a bit to. I did just learn the oddest thing from my guitar teacher. He says he loves the PT1, but informed me that it has literally NO Low Battery warning. It simply gets more and more spastic in it's readings. Not a godd fetaure. Some sort of Low Batt warning should be a no brainer in such a design. Also the batteries are not the you can find them anywhere AA's or AAA's.

Bottom line the PT1 works well, but you have to use lighter touch to avoid issues with headstock position and overdriving the sensor. No Low battery warning and harder to find batteries are used.  For a third of the price, less hassle all the way around,  I would go with the Korg.

I have a korg tuner/metronome, best tuners are the korgs no doubt.  I was looking for something that I could have on my guitar at all times and not worry about getting out my tuner etc. 

Quote from: jankymutt on August 13, 2006, 04:55:38 PM
I have used an Intellitouch for 3 years.  They are very accurate and reliable.  I have a bit of trouble tuning the high "E" string, but like jmhyer, it seems to work itself out after a few tries. 

I have a few of the Intellitouch tuners and like them very much.  I have a problem with the low E string, but if you move the tuner around the headstock... viola! the problem disappears.  Seems to be a bit of a quirk with theses tuners, but they're awesome!
Breedlove Pacific
Martin 0-17 1935
Martin 000-28EC
Martin 000-28ECB #444
Martin 000-40SMK #99
Epiphone Blues Master - Sunburst
Santa Cruz VJ - Sunburst
Taylor 455 - 12 String
Fender Roadhouse Strat
Go Grande Koa

ive had my intellitouch for about 3 years now. i really like it.

try tuning using 12th fret harmonics. assuming your guitar is setup properly and intonated well, this works great. the tuner seems to read harmonics much truer than the open vibrations of just plucking the string. i pretty much have always tuned using harmonics at the 12th fret for some reason. not even sure how i got started doing that. . .

i think mine could use new batteries. what kind do these things take?

Awesome tip!!!  I'll try the harmonics... thanks... not sure on the batteries, I 've still got the original ones in there...
Breedlove Pacific
Martin 0-17 1935
Martin 000-28EC
Martin 000-28ECB #444
Martin 000-40SMK #99
Epiphone Blues Master - Sunburst
Santa Cruz VJ - Sunburst
Taylor 455 - 12 String
Fender Roadhouse Strat
Go Grande Koa