Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Thinking about dressing up the D-03...  (Read 3645 times)
NewStrings

Ignore
« on: August 13, 2006, 01:31:08 PM »

I've been playing my Larry D-03 a lot lately and it really has matured a lot in the past 4 years.  Recently I tried the new Elixer Phospher Bronze strings and I must say, they really have made this D come alive.  So now I think I might try a few upgrades and give this baby the attention it truly deserves.

The first thing I want to change is the clear pickguard.  I've searched this forum for awhile and although I've found lots of useful info, I still have a couple of questions.  First, I am looking at getting the Greven tor-tis pickguard but will the D-28 size fit perfectly on my D-03?  Here is a link to the one I am considering:   http://www.fqms.com/Greven_Tor-Tis_Pickguard_-_D28_P14075C1899.cfm 
Secondly has anybody bought this one from FQMS and made the upgrade to their Larrivee?  If so, how does it look?  Pics would be a real bonus!!

The second upgrade would be switching out the standard Tusq saddle and going to a bone saddle.  I have bought Bob Collosi saddles in the past and have been very pleased with his products.  But I saw this one also at FQMS for a fraction of the cost and wondered if anyone has tried it and how does it compare to the Collosi saddle?  Here is the link:  http://www.fqms.com/Guitar_Bone_Saddle_Blank_-_Wid_P18129C1909.cfm   Does it fit ok in a Larrivee or do you have to do a lot of sanding?

I welcome any other ideas or suggestions you might have keeping in mind I am only looking for some minor cosmetic changes (not changing the tuners etc.).

NewStrings

Lord of the STRINGS

Collings D-1H
Goodall TROM
Gretsch Electromatic Pro Jet
Gibson J-45 Standard
Gold Tone OB-250 Banjo
The Loar 520 Mandolin
ronmac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2006, 03:29:09 PM »

I can't answer the questions you pose, but i can help you out in another area!

If you are gonig to be giving the D so much attention I would be happy to guitar-sit your TROM and keep it from being lonely. Just a friendly Maritimer gesture... :GRN>

Ron

drathbun
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2006, 05:02:52 PM »

The second upgrade would be switching out the standard Tusq saddle and going to a bone saddle.

Why don't you call Larrivee and order a drop-in compensated bone saddle from them? Order a couple... they're cheap and you can have one for your winter setup and one for your summer setup!

2016 Martin 000-28vs 12 fret

2014 Taylor 814ce

2014 Godin Multiac Classical

2012 Gibson "The Golden Age 1930's" SJ200

2012 Squier Vintage Modified 70's Jazz Bass

2010 Gretsch Electromatic G5122DC

2009 Taylor GA3-12e

2004 Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster

1981 Rickenbacker 320JG

1968 Yamaha FG150 Red La
NewStrings

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2006, 06:07:01 PM »

Ron,

Wow, what a great offer and such a friendly "Maritimer" gesture!!!  It warms my heart to know that there is somebody out there who would want to spend time with that old Goody TROM of mine!!!  But hey, I think I'll pass!!!!  :GRN>    The TROM is still my number 1 girl and always will be!!!  :WNK>  But that D-03 sure has moved up a notch or two in the past year.  It really gave new meaning to "opening up"!!!  I've travelled with it a bit this summer and it has impressed quite a few friends of mine.  It's not a complex sounding like my Collings or Goodall, but boy, is it direct and "in your face"!

Drathbun:  Good idea, do you know roughly what Larrivee charges for a bone saddle?  I presume you would just email Brian T. and he would advise.  I like the two saddle idea, I do that with all my guitars.  I'm still curious though about the FQMS ones though and how they compare.  The price sounds too good to be true!

NewStrings

Lord of the STRINGS

Collings D-1H
Goodall TROM
Gibson J-45 Standard
Gold Tone OB-250 Banjo
The Loar 520 Mandolin
ronmac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2006, 06:21:58 PM »

Ron,

Wow, what a great offer and such a friendly "Maritimer" gesture!!!  It warms my heart to know that there is somebody out there who would want to spend time with that old Goody TROM of mine!!!  But hey, I think I'll pass!!!!  :GRN>    The TROM is still my number 1 girl and always will be!!!  :WNK>  But that D-03 sure has moved up a notch or two in the past year.  It really gave new meaning to "opening up"!!!  I've travelled with it a bit this summer and it has impressed quite a few friends of mine.  It's not a complex sounding like my Collings or Goodall, but boy, is it direct and "in your face"!

My offer stands, should you change your mind... :WNK>

Ron

drathbun
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2006, 06:38:21 PM »

I think I paid about $20 for mine.

2016 Martin 000-28vs 12 fret

2014 Taylor 814ce

2014 Godin Multiac Classical

2012 Gibson "The Golden Age 1930's" SJ200

2012 Squier Vintage Modified 70's Jazz Bass

2010 Gretsch Electromatic G5122DC

2009 Taylor GA3-12e

2004 Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster

1981 Rickenbacker 320JG

1968 Yamaha FG150 Red La
rounder

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2006, 07:25:57 AM »

Hey NewStrings,

I have tried the fqms saddles.  They just drop in and fit well. You may have to do some very minor sanding to get it to fit just right, but they are very close. (just about any drop-in saddle from anybody may require fine tuning for your guitar)

Cow bone I believe.  Seem to be of the same quality as other bone blanks I have bought, although I have never bought a saddle from Larrivee or Collosi.
NewStrings

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2006, 09:26:29 AM »

Thanks Rounder for your feedback.  I think I will place an order for both the Greven pickguard and the bone saddle.  If nothing else, I can have a spare saddle and, at that price, I really can't go wrong.  I've done the usual sanding and tweaking of the other saddles before to make them fit properly, so I should be OK with that part.

Still would like to see a picture of a Greven pickguard on an 03 series guitar.... I'm a little concerned how a gloss upscale pickguard will look on the satin finish 03.  It might bring attention to the pickguard and not the natural beauty of the wood.

Thanks,

NewStrings

Lord of the STRINGS

Collings D-1H
Goodall TROM
Gibson J-45 Standard
Gold Tone OB-250 Banjo
The Loar 520 Mandolin
JohnM2001
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2006, 04:07:25 AM »

Not a Larrivee, but heres a Greven guard on a Greven guitar.  I've put a Greven guard on a D-02 in the past (before the new Larrivee tort guard came out).   The Greven guards have nice rounded edges, but are easily twice or more  as thick as a Martin or Larrivee guard. 

D-02E
NewStrings

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2006, 12:00:33 AM »

Thanks John for the pic.....

I am concerned with the thickness of the Greven pickguards as well and the more I think about it, I'm quite sure would over power the rather plain and simplistic look of the D-03 -- someone of a distraction you might say. 

My Goodall TROM has what I would think is a Greven pickguard as the picture below shows.  It looks great on that particular guitar, but it is quite a bit smaller than the traditional dread size.

I think I am going to go with the Larrivee one or one that I saw on eBay instead.... not nearly as fancy but more appropriate.

NewStrings

[attachment no longer available]

Lord of the STRINGS

Collings D-1H
Goodall TROM
Gibson J-45 Standard
Gold Tone OB-250 Banjo
The Loar 520 Mandolin
stuco

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2006, 12:12:57 AM »

afro

You should polish it up for sure. I'm in the process and very happy with the results!
Caleb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2006, 01:08:40 AM »

upgrade tuners to black gotohs. the look is killer.
NewStrings

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2006, 05:42:40 PM »

Well, the first stage of my "dress up" project is complete.  Added the vintage style bevelled pickguard to the D-03.  Here is a pic to show:

[/img]

[/img]

Not sure if I've added pictures correctly or not... but here goes anyway.

NewStrings

Lord of the STRINGS

Collings D-1H
Goodall TROM
Gibson J-45 Standard
Gold Tone OB-250 Banjo
The Loar 520 Mandolin
NewStrings

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2006, 05:45:49 PM »

Guess not, let me try again.

NewStrings

Lord of the STRINGS

Collings D-1H
Goodall TROM
Gibson J-45 Standard
Gold Tone OB-250 Banjo
The Loar 520 Mandolin
ronmac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2006, 07:12:09 PM »

That's a very nice top for an "entry level" guitar! 

Nice stripe on the FB as well.

Ron

Denis
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2006, 08:02:49 PM »

That's a very nice top for an "entry level" guitar! 

Nice stripe on the FB as well.

Ron, you know as well as I do that there's no such thing as "entry level" spruce on any Larrivee!!!  It's all the good stuff.  Jean sells the "entry level" stuff to the other makers. :WNK>

stuco

« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2006, 09:53:46 PM »

afro

I played a new Martin HD-28 the other day and the top wasn't as nice as that one.  The fingerboard stripe seems extreme at first but I think it's kind of cool looking.
NewStrings

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2006, 10:23:01 PM »

Thanks Stuco, it really does have a nice sitka top.  As for the tiger stripe down the fret board, I do think it is cool and unique.  But people either love it or hate it, not much in between.  Here are a few more pics to show more of the neck:

NewStrings

Lord of the STRINGS

Collings D-1H
Goodall TROM
Gibson J-45 Standard
Gold Tone OB-250 Banjo
The Loar 520 Mandolin
stuco

« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2006, 12:32:19 AM »

afro

I don't know if I would or not but stew mac sells some great ebony stain that I used on my yairi bridge.  Works perfectly.  But the guitar wouldn't stand out.
NewStrings

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2006, 08:35:10 AM »

I guess it's good to know that there is something out there should someone want to cover up the "natural" ebony look.  Personally, as long as I own this guitar, I would leave the distinctive stripe intact.  Sort of like a beauty mark you might say.  But beauty is in the eye of the beholder!   

Thanks for tip,

NewStrings

Lord of the STRINGS

Collings D-1H
Goodall TROM
Gibson J-45 Standard
Gold Tone OB-250 Banjo
The Loar 520 Mandolin
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: