Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mahogany Suprise.....  (Read 755 times)
fitness1
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: May 01, 2004, 01:38:49 PM »

received an L-05MT from a member of the former Taylor Forum yesterday, what a suprise........I must admit I was skeptical at first, never having owned an all mahogany before and having "auditioned" several L's in the last year.
Something about the combination of the wood and the body size make this a pretty amazing instrument......the Mahogany chosen for the top is really 3-d as well.......very, very nice for the $$.
 :D  

Charis SJ Koa/Sitka
Mcknight/Poling GC Koa/Italian
Eastman E10D - Mahogany/Adirondack
Cordoba C9 Mahogany/Euro Spruce

"One small heart, and a great big soul that's drivin"
orsino
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2004, 01:55:27 PM »

Congrats fitness.......they're great guitars!

philster

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2004, 03:07:16 PM »

Something about the combination of the wood and the body size make this a pretty amazing instrument......
Nope, it sounds good in all sizes when a good top is selected.  Check out some places like Bourgeois guitars, or Santa Cruz and read about the qualities of mahogany.  They are talking about them as back and side wood normaly but focus on terms like "velocity of response" etc. and then compare what is being said to what they are saying about the various spruces.

Mahogany is a magic wood.  Rosewood is more shocking, but that just makes it different, not better.  Hold onto that baby.  It sadly could become quite rare  :(  

"Sometimes you wear stretchy pants, in your room...  Is for fun..."  Nacho
tim farney

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2004, 09:40:48 PM »

Just got an L05MT a few weeks ago myself. I put a bone saddle in it an this guitar loves that thing! Try it you'll like it.

I've been told that the trick to good mahogany/koa-topped guitars is cutting the tops thin enough. They're naturally stiffer than the spruces so they don't need thickness for strength. Between yours, mine and Little Brother's this is the third great L05MT I've heard about. Evidently Larrivee knows how to make them. I'm loving mine.

Tim
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: