Show us your Polished Pics!

Started by stuco, August 10, 2006, 10:57:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

:ph34r:

After some thought I'm considering "glossing" or "orsinoization" of my L-03.  I tried to look at all the old links about this but the pics don't work.  I would like it if someone would repost the directions and lots of pics.  Anyone who has "polished" pictures please post them to show what can be done.  I have read other posts of people wanting a new thread on this subject so here it is.  Any participation would be appreciated.

Pics of polished OM-03W

I did steel wool for step 1, step 2 with the Meguiars Deep Crystal, and Carnauba wax for step 3.  Some say step 3 is not needed.   I've done 2-3 different 03 guitars.  The first two I also did the tops, which came out much less polished than the backs, the tops are hard to get a good consistent finish IMO, compared to the backs & sides, so I left my walnut 03 top alone.

D-02E

:SHK> :SHK>nice lloking Walnut!!!!

Blue
OM-05MT "Mary Helen"
Silvercreek T-170
Harmony Herd (1203, 162, 165, 6362)

JohnM2001   That looks terrific  I've been chicken to mess with my koa L. Did you use only  0000 wool?   I thought I read somewhere  that wax was not good for the guitars, or was that silicone?
L-03k                                                                                                                        gibson cl-40                                                                                                          om-35 short scale

Quote from: woodhugger on August 10, 2006, 02:01:29 PM
JohnM2001   That looks terrific  I've been chicken to mess with my koa L. Did you use only  0000 wool?   I thought I read somewhere  that wax was not good for the guitars, or was that silicone?

It's that the wax had silicone in it. 

Here's some pics of my rosewood satin parlor.  I buffed out the back and sides only.  I might do the top one day.  I used steel wool and Meguiars Scratch X and that's it.  It really brought out the grain.

here is my contribution

[attachment no longer available]
2006 Larrivee P-05
1971 Guild D-50
1972 Yamaha FG180

where's whiskeyjack?  He's got some AMAZING examples of buffing a satin finish.

Breedlove SD-25 Custom
1973  Martin Sigma DM-5

Does anybody have a successful top glossing job?

Quote from: stuco on August 10, 2006, 06:48:54 PM

Does anybody have a successful top glossing job?

whiskeyjack my friend...whiskeyjack

Breedlove SD-25 Custom
1973  Martin Sigma DM-5

post removed
Larrivee OM-03R-12 string + IMix external
Martin 000-15S + IMix internal
Martin OM-16GTE + Fishman Matrix
Gretch 5120
Fender Squires - Tele & Strat

whiskeyjack:  Perisoreus canadensis.  aka, gray jay, whiskey jay, whiskeyjack or timber jay.   A small, friendly bird of the northern coniferous forest.

That's it. I've decided to do it.  Whiskeyjack, someone listed directions but I would like results like yours so can you give me your directions(try to be specific)  That is truly amazing!

Also, exactly what product did you use and does anyone know the best place to get it(i'm assuming it's the meguiars) thanks

You've got mail, Stuco.
Larrivee OM-03R-12 string + IMix external
Martin 000-15S + IMix internal
Martin OM-16GTE + Fishman Matrix
Gretch 5120
Fender Squires - Tele & Strat

whiskeyjack:  Perisoreus canadensis.  aka, gray jay, whiskey jay, whiskeyjack or timber jay.   A small, friendly bird of the northern coniferous forest.

Wow!  Whiskeyjack, if I didn't know better, just by looking at those pictures (and ignoring the rosette, of course), I would have guessed you had on OM-09 there!  That's unbelievable!  :SHK>  By the way, send me that mail, too, if you don't mind.
Jerry  #698

2001 Larrivee D-09
2001 Seagull M-6
1992 Alvarez 5040
c. 1995 Yamaha CG-150CA
1998 A&L Ami

So whiskeyjack, you achieved all of this without using steel wool just the polishes?  BTW thanks for the help.

Quote from: whiskeyjack on August 10, 2006, 08:07:03 PM
Yo!!  Here I is?  Thanks for askin'.

Stuco:
Did ya get some directions on how to get this done?

Jack, do I remember correctly that you had a luthier buff out the OM? Did you do the hog top yourself? If you have good instructions, I wouldn't mind seeing them. I buffed out two using Meguiars but after seeing those, it puts my buffing job to shame.

Don

Larrivée D-09BW
Larrivée LV-03BW
Larrivée OM-03K
Larrivée LV-03-12
Martin D-18 RIP :crying:
Mossman Tennessee 12
Gretsch Chet Atkins DC
Gretsch Tennessee Rose
Fender Am. Stratocaster
Guild X-170T Manhattan
Fender 90s Telecaster Custom
Guild Starfire 5
Gretsch 5422 12 String
G&L ASAT Deluxe Semi

Did you do the headstock as well?

Also where can I get this stuff locally?  An auto supply place?

Quote from: dbirchett on August 10, 2006, 10:48:54 PM
Jack, do I remember correctly that you had a luthier buff out the OM? Did you do the hog top yourself? If you have good instructions, I wouldn't mind seeing them. I buffed out two using Meguiars but after seeing those, it puts my buffing job to shame.

Yes Whiskey, your polish job also puts my efforts to shame, yours looks ultra glossy, never mind semi-gloss!   And the top!  I couldn't get even close to that level of gloss on the 2 guitar tops I did, so I don't even bother with the tops anymore.  Send your instruction my way too, or better yet, just post them on this thread, if you don't mind.  Thanks.
D-02E

OK I take it back thats the most beautiful buff job I've ever seen,no semi-gloss here. :SHK>
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help