Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sympethetic Note?  (Read 1897 times)
rcemech

Ignore
« on: August 10, 2006, 01:11:19 AM »

I am getting a harmonic from the D string on my guitar.  When you pluck the G string and then mute it, the harmonic comes from the D string.  It sounds just like the harmonic from the fifth fret of the D string. 

Anyone know what this might be???  Uncle Rob?  any ideas??   :huh:

FYI  the top is sinker redwood, and the back and sides are claro walnut.  The bracing is not martin like.

Thanks,
Rich
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2006, 04:34:42 AM »

?where are you muting it?Could be the nut slot.Or you may need to adjust the truss rod.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
rcemech

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2006, 05:23:24 PM »

I am muting it over the sound hole.  I spoke with my luthier.  He seems to think its just that way because the top is so reponsive.  He tried it out on his McIlroy and had the same effect.  I did it on my super cheapo junker and it did it even louder.  It does not do it on my garrison G-10 though (fiberglass bracing).  Could it be that the bracing is so light on my guitar that the top is resonant at that frequency?

I put a sound clip of it on my website.

http://scubiesnacks.com/Sympathetic%20Harmonic.mp3     (WARNING: R RATED LANGUAGE ON THIS SOUND CLIP, IF YOU DON'T WANT TO HEAR THE F WORD THEN DON"T LISTEN)

The other stuff on the clip is a mesage to my luthier.  He put a french polish on my guitar that is absolutely beautiful, but is very delicate and soft, I am naturally clumsy and keep dining the finish so we are gonna find a way to get a harder finish on it.  Pardon the swearing on the clip, I just dinged the top on the mic while standing up.

Thanks,
Rich
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2006, 08:30:44 PM »

Don't forget that you can get harmonic's over the middle of the sound hole.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: