Fake Larrivee?

Started by daamonkeyboy, August 07, 2006, 09:43:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I recently bought a Larrivee guitar from a friend who was down on his luck.  He had lost his job and had to move so I bought his guitar from him.  I was told by someone else that the guitar may not be authentic.  It is a Larrivee D-03 12 string guitar.  The reason that my other friend suspects that it is not authentic is that the "Larrivee" on the headstock does not look as clear as the ones that we've seen at local stores (the first r and the first e look a bit muddled).  Has the signature "Larrivee" changed over the years?  Secondly, the label inside says that it is a D-03, with nothing saying that it is a 12 string.  Shouldn't it say "D-03 12?"  Finally, there is a glob of finish near the soundhole.  My friend says that Larrivee quality control would have never allowed this to happen.  The serial number on the label matches the number printed in the inside: 02422.  Is there any way to find out whether or not this is authentic?  I would hate to think that my friend sold me a fake guitar, and I have never heard of fake Larrivees, but knowing for sure would put my mind at ease.

[attachment no longer available]

That's a larrivee my friend.  Your friend is wrong about two things... 1)He's wrong about this guitar not being a larrivee.  2)He's wrong about having 100% faith in larrivees quality control.  I've seen probably a dozen larrivees w/ finish problems, sharp frets, other things etc.  In fact, I just sent back an L-05MT because the headstock logo was cracked underneath the finish.  Larrivees labels aren't perfect either.  I've seen several Larrivee with electronics that don't have the "E" representing electronics on the label.  Show us more pictures.  And if we can't subside your doubts, contact larrivee w/ the serial number.  Take some pictures of the spruce and mahogany. 

If it is a copy, that's the best damned copy of any guitar I've ever seen.  I can tell it's a solid top just by looking at the pictures(the grain in the spruce "rounds off" in the soundhole).

Plus no offense to larrivee, but I don't really think larrivees are the first guitar a scam artist would think of when copying a guitar(think Martin). There's really no money to be made in selling a fake larrivee, because they can be had so cheap.  And judging by the time and effort put into that guitar, they should open their own line of handmade acoustics, and stop messing around making fake larrivees.  It probably cost more time and effort into making the fake, than it would cost to buy a used D-03.

Breedlove SD-25 Custom
1973  Martin Sigma DM-5

What little of the guitar you showed looks authentic enough.  If you like it, play it.
Play it daily for best results.

monkeyboy,

Actually that is a fake, a good fake but a fake nonetheless. My heart goes out to you and my feelings toward all of mankind have been diminished...

In order for me to obtain a better nights sleep tonight I am willing to help ease your financial burden by taking that wretched fake Larrivee off of your hands and will humbly submit a check to you in the amount of $75.00!

It's the least I can do...

Your new friend,

HF
2004 Larrivee Parlor BW
2003 Larrivee L-03 BW
2002 Larrivee D-03 BW x 2

Quote from: HangFire on August 07, 2006, 10:49:23 PM
monkeyboy

Actually that is a fake, a good fake but a fake nonetheless. My heart goes out to you and my feelings toward mankind have been diminished...

In order for me to obtain a better nights sleep tonight I am willing to help ease your financial burden by taking that wretched fake Larrivee off of your hands and will humbly submit a check to you in the amount of $75.00!

Your new friend,

HF

I'll give you $100!

Breedlove SD-25 Custom
1973  Martin Sigma DM-5

I'll go $150.00 but, you will have to cover the shipping and paypal fees. Just to help a brother out. :WNK>
2006 Larrivee P-05
1971 Guild D-50
1972 Yamaha FG180

welcome to the forum. 

i remember Mathew Larrivee mention the signature on the headstock has indeed gone through changes.  the newer version signature being more clearly written due to improvements in their ability to cut the MOP to a higher degree.  your signature is identical to the one on my parlor by the way.

you can confirm authenticity, date of manufacture and model type etc,  by contacting larrivee including your ser no.:
http://www.larrivee.com/flash/customerservice/contactus.html

good luck
:ph34r:

Larrivee 0-09K Koa/sitka
Seagull S6+CW Folk
Goodall Parlor

Quote from: HangFire on August 07, 2006, 10:49:23 PM
monkeyboy,

Actually that is a fake, a good fake but a fake nonetheless. My heart goes out to you and my feelings toward all of mankind have been diminished...

Your new friend,

HF
Quote from: roknroll on August 07, 2006, 10:51:00 PM
I'll give you $100!
Quote from: inspector13 on August 07, 2006, 10:55:31 PM
I'll go $150.00 but, you will have to cover the shipping and paypal fees. Just to help a brother out. :WNK>

My, my...aren't we the generous bunch today... :WNK>

:ph34r:

THats a real larrivee.  I doubt that a fake larrivee even exists!