should I drill my Martin or leave it to a pro?

Started by sunburststrat, April 12, 2006, 03:33:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I'm a big DIY fan. If you have a high speed drill and know how to use it, then just do it. You'll need a 1/2" bit and I highly recommend a tapered reamer. Thats the easiest and safest way to go. If you don't and have a ton of different bits, start with a small pilot and slowly enlarge all the way up to 1/2". If you jump right for that 1/2", you will certainly have that bit get caught up in the finish and end up with a nice crack in the finish or an uneven hole at that.

cliff notes: - DO IT YOURSELF.
               - BUY A 1/2" tapered reamer
-[Mike]-

2010 Larrivee OM-03R + K&K mini
2008 American Fender Stratocaster
2009 Taylor 414ce Spring LTD
So many guitars, so little talent...

Doin' it yourself can be GREAT pleasure and a source of immense pride... or a nightmare... I always advise... LEAVE IT TO A PRO!

I understand everyone would like to save a few dollars, but what's $45 compared to peace of mind and your prized Martin?   Cheapness is a curse.  Don't fall victim to her and have regrets along the way.  Take it to a pro.   

reading the thread on buying a used Larrivee, I can't see any better justification for *not* doing something myself unless I knew exactly what I was doing.

E. Shoaf

Don't drill it yourself.

1.  You need a reamer, not a drill bit.  A skilled luthier should ream the hole, someone who's done this 500 times.

2.  Good luthiers have tools for determining how tightly they are turning the jack/screw piece onto the threads of the 1/4" metal input tube.  You can split the glue seam on the lower bout if you crank the screw piece too tight.

I sold Martin, Fender and Gibson guitars in college in the 80's.  I've seen some real disasters from do-it-youself guys.  I've seen cracked Martins, Les Pauls with phillips screwdriver divots on the tops. broken truss rods, spilled glue on beautiful guitar tops, stripped screws on tuners  (all done by guys who wanted to save money.)

Luthery, surgery and dentistry should be done by experts with good documented work history.

We're talking about $40.00 here.

My 2 cents,

John
Carry On!

John

I wanted to have my D-18 drilled out for a jack. I took it to my local shop. He said he would charge me $10. After he did it with a reamer, he said it was so easy he would only charge me $5. Nice guy. But I still send my bigger jobs to unclrob.
Don

Larrivée D-09BW
Larrivée LV-03BW
Larrivée OM-03K
Larrivée LV-03-12
Martin D-18 RIP :crying:
Mossman Tennessee 12
Gretsch Chet Atkins DC
Gretsch Tennessee Rose
Fender Am. Stratocaster
Guild X-170T Manhattan
Fender 90s Telecaster Custom
Guild Starfire 5
Gretsch 5422 12 String
G&L ASAT Deluxe Semi

OK, now I'm gonna install that Baggs M1 in my ex-gf's prized Gurian, and believe me, she's a perfectionist - the job's going to Gyphon!  And my McElroy's going there too  ... and my Martin.

sunburst
Larrivee LV-03RE, Martin 000-17S
Collings 000-1A, Collings 0M-2HG
National Radiotone
Fender Amer Strat (sunburst), Ibanez AS-200

Hi folks, I'm a noobie to Larrivee ownership and to this forum. I recently purchased an L-05, an O-60 Parlor Deluxe, and an OMV-03R from the Vancouver factory when I did a tour of the plant. (John, Jr. is a good salesman. <grin>) As I intended, none of these guitars have a pickup installed. I have ordered the K&K Mini Western to install in the L-05 and perhaps in the Parlor. I have the larger size K&K pickup in my 1979 HD-28 Martin and it is an amazing pickup system, even better with the K&K XLR Preamp.

So, here's my question. According to my reading, these new guitars should already have the 1/2" endpin hole so drilling should not be required.

Is the endpin a press fitting?

That is, so do I just pry it out with a large crowbar or is there some other process I should use to remove the endpin?? <just kidding about the crowbar>

Thanks for your help.

Ben Rushing

Martin 000-C16
Martin HD-28
Martin BC-15E acoustic bass
Taylor 614C
Taylor 615CE
Taylor 410CE
Taylor Baby
Taylor NS-32 (Nylon)
Larrivee L-05
Larrivee O-60 Parlor Deluxe

and others

Quote from: drathbun on April 14, 2006, 11:45:06 AM
If the guitar already has a 1/2" hole, why would anyone want to drill a new one??  :huh:

Larrivee (at least the three I've purchased... L03, L03-12, L05) have no endpin jack hole unless they are purchased with electronics (eg. L03E). As I've said earlier, I have installed endpin jacks on five guitars (L03, L03-12, L05, Yamaha FG150, Yamaha FG720-12) with a Forstner bit and drill all without incident. Two of the guitars were gloss finished. A tapered reamer works too. However, I like the clean, cylindrical hole you get with a Forstner myself.

As always... YMMV (especially if you aren't good with tools!  :TON>)

If the guitars are pre-drilled they should be fitted with a chrome finished end pin that has a concave hex head. Use the truss rod adjuster, or other suitable sized hex tool, to remove (turn counter-clockwise) the head and internal nut mechanism.
Ron