12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Rob, Give us a sample...let us judge :POL>
2006 Larrivee P-05
1971 Guild D-50
1972 Yamaha FG180

Great call Poki!!!!!

Louis Armstrong is swithout a doubt one of greatest singers of all time. I have loved him since I was a toddler. One of my earliest memories is of trying to impersonate his voice, when I was a 3 year old, for one of my mom's cousins.

He is lauded, by most, if not all, of the great singers who came after him, as a primnary influence. Definately did not come equipped with the classic pipes of a vocalist.

If you, or anyone else has not picked up or heard the Satch Sings Fats CD. Do your best to get or at least hear it.  A great remaster job by Sony Legacy. Fats Waller's music and Satch singing, you can't go wrong.

Tom Petty, and
Steven Tyler come to mind

10 Larrivee 00-03R 
09 CA Cargo
09 Taylor GA SS
06 Taylor 714CE
05 Santa Cruz OM S
04 Baby Taylor

:ph34r:

Rocknroll, whats with saying dylan's voice was and neil youngs voice was awful etc, they are both still alive.  You misunderstood I like both of their voices. 

Quote from: stuco on July 21, 2006, 05:52:45 PM
:ph34r:

Rocknroll, whats with saying dylan's voice was and neil youngs voice was awful etc, they are both still alive.  You misunderstood I like both of their voices. 

what are you talking about?  I said neil young sounded good.  I don't think dylan ever sounded good though.  I'm not sure why I used your quote that first time around. 

Breedlove SD-25 Custom
1973  Martin Sigma DM-5

Quote from: tubeornot2b on July 21, 2006, 05:19:06 PM
Great call Poki!!!!!

Louis Armstrong is swithout a doubt one of greatest singers of all time. I have loved him since I was a toddler. One of my earliest memories is of trying to impersonate his voice, when I was a 3 year old, for one of my mom's cousins.

He is lauded, by most, if not all, of the great singers who came after him, as a primnary influence. Definately did not come equipped with the classic pipes of a vocalist.

If you, or anyone else has not picked up or heard the Satch Sings Fats CD. Do your best to get or at least hear it.  A great remaster job by Sony Legacy. Fats Waller's music and Satch singing, you can't go wrong.

Absolutely!!!

Listen to the albums he did with the Oscar Peterson Trio.  All you have to do is listen to Just One of Those Things and you can hear what a truly talented vocalist Satch was.  Maybe he didn't have the astheically p[leasing tone of Ella Fitzgerald but then again who does!!! 

Quote from: roknroll on July 21, 2006, 05:56:53 PM
what are you talking about?  I said neil young sounded good.  I don't think dylan ever sounded good though.  I'm not sure why I used your quote that first time around. 

Actually, this is what you posted about Neil...

"NY didn't have all that bad of a voice."............I'd interpret that as saying he is dead.

Quote from: Walkerman on July 26, 2006, 03:34:11 PMI'd interpret that as saying he is dead.

...or maybe retired???
Jerry  #698

2001 Larrivee D-09
2001 Seagull M-6
1992 Alvarez 5040
c. 1995 Yamaha CG-150CA
1998 A&L Ami

QuoteOthers that come to mind for me...

Springsteen
Fogerty
Willie Nelson
John Hiatt

Of the above, I agree 75%. However, I personally love the sound of John Fogerty's older stuff. I WISH I could sing like he did on tracks like "Fortunate Son" and "Long as I can see the light". Amazing control, nice subtleties. I don't know if you sing or not, but I do and Fogerty is one of those voices I always loved.

As for NY and Bob, I like Neil's voice, but Dylan sounds like his tounge is too big for his mouth or something. Still love all Bob's stuff, though.

How about Townes Van Zandt? Weird voice, great songs. Check out his version of the Stones' "Dead Flowers" on the Big Lebowski soundtrack. Haunting, man.

-Aaron

shout 'Freebird' one more time. see what happens.

Rod Stewart yes. Kim Carnes no!
2016 Martin 000-28vs 12 fret

2014 Taylor 814ce

2014 Godin Multiac Classical

2012 Gibson "The Golden Age 1930's" SJ200

2012 Squier Vintage Modified 70's Jazz Bass

2010 Gretsch Electromatic G5122DC

2009 Taylor GA3-12e

2004 Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster

1981 Rickenbacker 320JG

1968 Yamaha FG150 Red La

I like no one who has a bad voice. They're the ones singing Kaoroke on American Idol. Yuck!
I especially love Bob Dylan, Leonard Cohen, Neil Young and John Prine. People who would never have gone on AI. 

I would through the Reverend Gary Davis into this discussions as well....terrible voice....great songs...he just makes it work some how.

Blue
OM-05MT "Mary Helen"
Silvercreek T-170
Harmony Herd (1203, 162, 165, 6362)

Jorma Kaukonen.  Listening to him convinced me I might as well sing.  :GRN>
So many songs - so little time...
Finger Picking good Folk, Blues, Gospel, Roots, Rags, and Originals
www.davidberchtold.com

Stevie Nicks.

Deb
Larrivee OM-03PA
Larrivee Parlor 01K
Taylor 412e-R

Quote from: ducktrapper on August 08, 2006, 12:40:48 PM
I like no one who has a bad voice. They're the ones singing Kaoroke on American Idol. Yuck!
I especially love Bob Dylan, Leonard Cohen, Neil Young and John Prine. People who would never have gone on AI. 

I don't know....I saw Katerine McPhee singing with the blind tenor...don't know his name....riveting.  Goosebumps. 
http://community.webshots.com/user/fng45

Life is too short to drink cheap beer.

Quote from: FNG on August 27, 2006, 08:02:12 PM
I don't know....I saw Katerine McPhee singing with the blind tenor...don't know his name....riveting.  Goosebumps. 

Andrea Bocelli...  and I agree.
Bing

Larrivee J-09FM
Taylor 814ce
Music Man Axis SS w/piezo

Eric Clapton:  Seems like he is always singing a few notes off key, a bit brittle.  But love his songs.

John Mayer:  Not bluesy enough, but alot rougher than pop.  And that FACE  :GRN>.  Nevertheless, LOVE his music.

Dave Matthews:  Something about they way he growl like a dog.  Seriously, how does he still make amazing music.

LoL...

Honorable mention.... hahhaha

Britney Spears:  I hate her music on a different level.  It's such junk, and boy is she ever whiney with that "I'm not that innocent".  But her songs are so damn catchy.  You hate it to the guts, but they just keep replaying in your head.  And that's listening to them once!!!!  AHHHHHHHHH MOM MAKE HER STOP!!!!  Wait play that again...
Larrivee LSV-05
Larrivee LV-09FM
Larrivee CS-30
Yamaha Chronos LL-16
Yamaha Pacifica 112J
Martin LX-1
Fender American Stratocaster Delux
Fender Mexican Stratocaster
Fender Mexican Telecaster
Rivera Sedon

Ian Hunter.  Anyone remember Mott the Hoople?

You can turn the question around for rock music singers:  who are the ones who can really sing?  Most get along by either shouting or emoting.  I think the best singer in rock is Paul Rodgers from Bad Company and other bands.

E. Shoaf