bad voices you like anyway

Started by tubeornot2b, July 21, 2006, 11:17:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How about singers who have voices, which on the surface are not great voices, but who force of personality, emotional impact, or distinctive sound you like anyway.

Some my favorites would be Tom Waits, Dylan, Neil Young and the immortal Janis.

Tom Waits for sure...

NY didn't have all that bad of a voice. :huh:

Janis Joplin had an amazing voice.  Not sure where in the world you got that she didn't.

Breedlove SD-25 Custom
1973  Martin Sigma DM-5

:ph34r:

Dylan fits into this for sure for me.  janis has a nice voice, she just pushed it to the brink.  But she could definately sing. 

Quote from: roknroll on July 21, 2006, 11:21:11 AM

NY didn't have all that bad of a voice. :huh:

NY still doesn't have that bad of a voice, it's just unconventional.

Sorry I messed rocknroll's quote, it's just the first line that's his.

Tom Waits for me
Larrivee LS-10 Custom "Jesse"
Larrivee 000-50 "Emma"
Larrivee 00-50 "Dublin"
Larrivee 00-60 "Rose"
Larrivee L-03 Koa "Hula"
Martin 5-18 ('57) "Tink"
Banjitar  "Plinky"
Baby Taylor "Lichious"
Taylor GC-5 E
Oscar Schmidt OU-5 concert uke "Abalone & Cheese"
Makai MT-70 tenor uke "Kimme"
Martin M3 Soprano Uke "LJ"
A couple non descript cl

Quote from: stuco on July 21, 2006, 11:26:30 AM

Dylan fits into this for sure for me.  janis has a nice voice, she just pushed it to the brink.  But she could definately sing. 

Yeah, Dylan's voice was pretty awful.  Chris Christophersons voice sucks as well, but then again, I don't really consider him a talented musican, so it doesn't really matter.

Breedlove SD-25 Custom
1973  Martin Sigma DM-5

I know people will say Dylan. But I think he has a great voice. I can't imagine someone singing  "Stuck Inside of Mobile with the Memphis Blues Again" in the same style as Dylan and doing a decent job. His  non sonorous tone I think makes him more expressive and allows for a more, I guess what you might call literary writing. But I do like the voice even if he wasn't a great writer.

Quote from: jeremy3220 on July 21, 2006, 11:42:15 AM
But I do like the voice even if he wasn't a great writer.

whoa, that's a bold sentence.  I'm sure you will be hearing some criticism for that one!  I'll leave it alone though cause I don't really care about him or his music.

Breedlove SD-25 Custom
1973  Martin Sigma DM-5

Leonard Cohen, Lou Reed
Ian (in Cedar Creek, TX)
1974 Eko Ranger VI
2002 Larrivee LV10E
2007 McIlroy A25C

"When you're tired, and can't do anything, don't do anything. And while you're not doing anything, practice" - Robert Fripp

Personally, I never liked hearing Dylan sing.

I think of him MORE of a writer than a singer.
Bing

Larrivee J-09FM
Taylor 814ce
Music Man Axis SS w/piezo

I think he meant, "even if Dylan were NOT a great writer, I'd STILL like his voice"

That's the way i read it anyway :mellow:
Larrivee LS-10 Custom "Jesse"
Larrivee 000-50 "Emma"
Larrivee 00-50 "Dublin"
Larrivee 00-60 "Rose"
Larrivee L-03 Koa "Hula"
Martin 5-18 ('57) "Tink"
Banjitar  "Plinky"
Baby Taylor "Lichious"
Taylor GC-5 E
Oscar Schmidt OU-5 concert uke "Abalone & Cheese"
Makai MT-70 tenor uke "Kimme"
Martin M3 Soprano Uke "LJ"
A couple non descript cl

Quote from: Cowgirlie on July 21, 2006, 11:50:23 AM
I think he meant, "even if Dylan were NOT a great writer, I'd STILL like his voice"

That's the way i read it anyway :mellow:

You're right, bad phrasing on my part.

i sometimes try to imitate Dylan's singing style but never can quite get it right.  rod stewart comes to mind

Larrivee 0-09K Koa/sitka
Seagull S6+CW Folk
Goodall Parlor

Quote from: jeremy3220 on July 21, 2006, 11:55:58 AM
You're right, bad phrasing on my part.

I got it now...derrrr

Breedlove SD-25 Custom
1973  Martin Sigma DM-5

+1 for those already mentioned.

Others that come to mind for me...

Springsteen
Fogerty
Willie Nelson
John Hiatt

I'm sure I could think of many more if I had more time to think.

They hit the notes, but are very rough around the edges and distinctive.  You know the voices immediately, even if you've never heard the song.
Jerry  #698

2001 Larrivee D-09
2001 Seagull M-6
1992 Alvarez 5040
c. 1995 Yamaha CG-150CA
1998 A&L Ami

Quote from: pigtown on July 21, 2006, 01:02:13 PM
Remember Kris Kristoferson??

I agree! I mentioned him in an earlier post..."Yeah, Dylan's voice was pretty awful.  Chris Christophersons voice sucks as well, but then again, I don't really consider him a talented musican, so it doesn't really matter."

Spelled his name wrong though.

Breedlove SD-25 Custom
1973  Martin Sigma DM-5

Wow surprised to see Willie Nelson added to the list. But then he definitely fits the distinctive description. I have always loved his voice and his playing.

I agree with the comments about Dylan's voice being the perfect foil for his material. An impropmtu debate, about the merits of Dylan as a singer among some friends the other night, was what prompted the question.

Garcia did a credible job with Memphis Blues Again, along with many Dylan songs he covered. I don't know if they already have, but I would love to here Los Lobos do Memphis Blues Again.

Louis Armstrong has that raspy, rough voice but man oh man, hearing him sing "what a wonderful world" makes me all misty eyed.  i've heard that song sung by others with  more "conventional" voices but the magic just ain't there. :ph34r:

Larrivee 0-09K Koa/sitka
Seagull S6+CW Folk
Goodall Parlor

His version of Hello Dolly isn't bad either.
D-03RE
D-03-12
00-50 TSB
OM-02

...and several other guitars.  Former Larrivees: P-01, OM-03R SH (Twelfth Fret special edition), P-01 Chris Hadfield special edition